IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dracena seeding - draco?

DoomsDave

Howdyall: roared into a parking lot in La Habra and I noted the plant below, full of seeds. (The Seed Fairy deposited some in my truck's drink thingie . . . .)

So have any of you ever grown these from seeds?

post-208-0-90527900-1427658434_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-51553000-1427658522_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-66657000-1427658326_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-08017000-1427658627_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have not yet but have thought about it. It's a cool looking plant! The only problem is I hear they are super slow growers.

They are weeds in my garden Dave. I now have my gardener climb my trees and cut out the flowers or I would have hundreds popping up. Birds eat them and spread them everywhere. Just plant and they sprout fast. They also grow fast with water.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I have a third generation plant from seed that my friend bought the grandmother of originally about 20 years ago… and it's getting too large to carry… so that's pretty fast to me.

This thread is making me so envious. I love dracaena draco and I really wish we could grow them in Florida. I have seen them around Southern California, but I don't recall ever seeing one in Florida. I have heard that they will tolerate 18 degrees Fahrenheit (with damage), but spring back afterwards.

I must admit, though, that I have seen much prettier dracaena draco trees than the one in the photo above (if indeed it is a dracaena draco at all).

I once telephoned a large cactus/succulent nursery while in the Miami region and asked for a dracaeno draco. The woman who answered replied, "What! That's a California plant. We don't grow that in Florida."

Maybe they would grow in Florida, despite the summer humidity (?) I would love to hear from anyone who has tried growing dracaena draco in a humid subtropical climate or tropical climate to see how the Dragon Tree survived there.

Hey Californians, if you want to get rid of your Dragon Tree seedlings, just PM me!

Edited by Sandy Loam

They grow in Florida. I saw a nice one at Ft Lauderdale. Just needs good drainage. I don't think they are as happy and healthy in that high heat/humidify/wet soil combo, but they grow.

You should look at some of the Thai dragon trees. Here are some group planted I saw in Chaing Mai recently. I believe they are Dracaena cochinchinensis, but who knows as there are like 6 that look similar.

post-649-0-27711400-1427773570_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Oh yeah

Gonna plant some use them for party favors

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've seen one in Jacksonville and inquired about it so they have been grown at least that far north in Florida. It's been years ago though and who knows if it survived.

The dragos are very common in south Spain.

They are the same than the californian dragos.

Grows fast with water and if you put one seed in the most sunny, sandy and dry place, you will have a small drago.

It's like a rock.