IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

24" box solo planting

nkbish

I planted the largest palm I have ever planted today. It is a bismarckia in a 24" box. There was some roots in the ground at the nursery but for the price it was worth the gamble. I am replacing one that some damn gophers smashed a few months ago. Here are the pictures on the planting

In back of truck

post-4818-0-82745600-1427605483_thumb.jp

Sliding it out

post-4818-0-98241900-1427605594_thumb.jp

Moving to final location

post-4818-0-97295200-1427605695_thumb.jp

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Rolling into spot with gopher protection

post-4818-0-03316100-1427606176_thumb.jp

In the ground with back fill

post-4818-0-49388200-1427606256_thumb.jp

In the dirt and watered in with super thrive. Wish me some luck with this with gamble I took with the root damage. I marked the spear to see if growth will happen.

post-4818-0-61173400-1427606484_thumb.jp

post-4818-0-48856900-1427606526_thumb.jp

Keep us apprized. This is as relevant as it gets.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Damn, solo? Nice work :)

I planted a 24 once myself and never did it again. Anything larger than a 15 I get help.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Congrats on getting it in the ground. Looks like a nice sized Bizzy and hope it comes through the transplant fine. Sorry about the reason you needed the replacement. Darn varmints.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

I planted a 24 once myself and never did it again. Anything larger than a 15 I get help.

Called being smarter then the job, let gravity be your friend rather then fighting it. Nice planning Nick, its gotta be satisfying. I'm assuming a gopher eradication was done prior to the installation.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here is the one I lost in this spot. It looked fine one day and the next day it fell over. All of the roots from the base were chewed off. The thing that sucks is there was not any above ground evidence of gophers

post-4818-0-02901600-1427632763_thumb.jp

Called being smarter then the job, let gravity be your friend rather then fighting it. Nice planning Nick, its gotta be satisfying. I'm assuming a gopher eradication was done prior to the installation.

I caught the fat bastard the next day.

This area was an easy dig which made it not to bad. There are some areas at my place it takes longer to dig for a 5 gallon pot.

Congrats on getting it in the ground. Looks like a nice sized Bizzy and hope it comes through the transplant fine. Sorry about the reason you needed the replacement. Darn varmints.

Thanks west coast. I wanted to start with a large plant here.

Nice! Did you leave the base of the box on there with all of that root activity? That's what I would do - just remove the sides.

I've planted at least six 24" box plants, solo - all Kings and Queens. Digging the huge hole in my clay + rock is the biggest issue, some of those have required a jack. Shifting them around isn't too bad once that's done.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Nice! Did you leave the base of the box on there with all of that root activity? That's what I would do - just remove the sides.

I've planted at least six 24" box plants, solo - all Kings and Queens. Digging the huge hole in my clay + rock is the biggest issue, some of those have required a jack. Shifting them around isn't too bad once that's done.

Yes I left the base of the box on and I'm sure it will rot away. I did take the sides off the box. Moving it around wasn't to bad with the 2x4s and the small dolly. It slid into the hole easy. It does have a lean to the trunk from the way it landed in the hole but it should straighten out.

How's your back today? What a job! Really hope it survives the root disturbance. ...may take a year or two to re-establish so don't get discouraged if there is not much (or any) growth. If it is going to die you will know it by the end of the summer. I think it will be shocked but will survive.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Nice work :) the tailgate on my truck has a nice bow in it after doing the same with some large Roebelinis, also solo. Wish I could have helped you out, my back was not so good afterwards. I like your ramp, I just dropped mine off the back of the tailgate after wrestling them out of the bed. I'm thinking that I'd rather not do that again alone :)

That palm is looking good, I'm sure it will do great for you :)

Nice work :) the tailgate on my truck has a nice bow in it after doing the same with some large Roebelinis, also solo. Wish I could have helped you out, my back was not so good afterwards. I like your ramp, I just dropped mine off the back of the tailgate after wrestling them out of the bed. I'm thinking that I'd rather not do that again alone :)

That palm is looking good, I'm sure it will do great for you :)

My back was fine, maybe I just was lucky. It really was not to bad with the dolly and 2x4s. The toughest part was sliding to the tailgate.

How's your back today? What a job! Really hope it survives the root disturbance. ...may take a year or two to re-establish so don't get discouraged if there is not much (or any) growth. If it is going to die you will know it by the end of the summer. I think it will be shocked but will survive.

I think it has a decent chance as well. The timing is perfect with the weather and time of year. My other small ones in the ground just started pushing again a couple weeks ago.

Nice score... I'm with AliceHunter... looks like it'll take about 2 yrs but should be ok... this will be interesting to see.

LA | NY | OC

Nice score... I'm with AliceHunter... looks like it'll take about 2 yrs but should be ok... this will be interesting to see.

It was a nice score and that's why I took the risk with the root damage. If it takes 2 years to recover it will be more than worth the investment.

Here is a photo from yesterday. I am guessing about 1.5 " of growth in 5 days. I hope it does not slow down and keeps moving. I am going to do another vitamin b1 dose today. What are your thoughts on when I could start with a mild liquid fertilizer application?

post-4818-0-67673900-1428088401_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Almost 3" in a month. It grew the first 1.5" then seemed to stop. Then lat week it seemed to start moving again.

post-4818-0-87631900-1430269645_thumb.jp

The fronds are not looking that good. I have cut some more off. I have also been trying to give it some vitamin B every week with a light liquid fertilizer.

post-4818-0-53041600-1430269990_thumb.jp

post-4818-0-60638900-1430270013_thumb.jp

I'd say do the Ken Johnson treatment: water water water. With this heat we've got lined up for the next few days that should be a good combo.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm hoping the best for your Bismarck. I think it should do just fine, although they do seem to take a little while to get going once in the ground when planted large like that.

Here's my Bismarck that I bought as a 20 gallon. It had tons of roots growing through the pot and into the ground, all of which were cut shortly before I bought it to free it up. You can see a lot of the fronds dying off in this first picture. This was planted in September 2009

post-3101-0-86577700-1430742999_thumb.jp

It took some time to get going. but here it is 4 years later, September 2013:

post-3101-0-59306900-1430743343_thumb.jp

Tough to see those leaves dying....but dont give up. I got a gopher question. .. how deep do gophers normally dig? Would it be possible to bury a 4 ft. Chain link fence around the entire perimeter of your yard below the current fence to keep them out entirely ?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Tough to see those leaves dying....but dont give up. I got a gopher question. .. how deep do gophers normally dig? Would it be possible to bury a 4 ft. Chain link fence around the entire perimeter of your yard below the current fence to keep them out entirely ?

They can fit through Cain link. I have found tunnels about 2' down

• 3 months later...

Here it is after about 6 months. It has opened 4 new fronds and seems to be doing good.

post-4818-0-56746900-1441146053_thumb.jp

nice job!!

Gotta love a palm opening 4 leaves in 6 months. that's a great growth rate

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24