IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help With Dypsis ID

gavilan1

I picked up this palm last summer, but it did not have a tag in the container.  I believe that it is a Dypsis lutescens, but if you could look at the following two images and give me your input, I can formally label this specimen.  Thanks in advance.

post-764-1174765428_thumb.jpg

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Close-up of base of palm.

post-764-1174765500_thumb.jpg

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

I would say it is a D. lutescens, although it is difficult to tell for a palm that size.  The top of the leaf sheath has a golden colour and the leaflets appear to be arranged in a slight V, bothe attributes of D. lutescens.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Nice Dypsis lutescens (golden cane), may turn out to be a single, it has been known to happen.

I wonder if it's a hybrid  ???

Hoy Daryl, what do you think ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sorry I have to disagree,but what do I know I wouldn't know how to put myself out if I was on FIRE! :laugh:

Maybe it's just the pic but the color is much darker than any Dypsis lutescens I have seen. At that size any I have seen have a much greener, or green yellow coloring on the base of the palm where it enters the ground.  Also the base of the leaflet sheaths, at that size  are usually much more of the same color ,at least until the leaflet is dying ,and that doesn't appear to be the case!

Plus the base of the palm has a very distinct bulb ( is that a correct description).

While a lutescens has a slight bulbous base I have never seen one that was that pronounced?

As to what it is a have no idea,and like I said it is probably exactly what you guys said it was, a lutescens! :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Doug,

It's too young to determine for sure.  Give it another year or so and it may become more clear.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(gsn @ Mar. 24 2007,19:22)

Sorry I have to disagree,but what do I know I wouldn't know how to put myself out if I was on FIRE! :laugh:

Maybe it's just the pic but the color is much darker than any Dypsis lutescens I have seen. At that size any I have seen have a much greener, or green yellow coloring on the base of the palm where it enters the ground.  Also the base of the leaflet sheaths, at that size  are usually much more of the same color ,at least until the leaflet is dying ,and that doesn't appear to be the case!

Plus the base of the palm has a very distinct bulb ( is that a correct description).

While a lutescens has a slight bulbous base I have never seen one that was that pronounced?

As to what it is a have no idea,and like I said it is probably exactly what you guys said it was, a lutescens! :D

Scott,

I find your first sentence in your reply to be be very odd. :D  I'm not too sure what you meant by that. ???  I understand your no expert like a couple of others , but never the less, your remarks and input are well appreciated!!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice Majesty in the background.

Its really hard to tell from that photo. The leaf's seem to spread more. But I would say its a lutescens. The few I have look somewhat similar to that.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Looks like a lutescens to me...

Here is how the single trunk form swells at the base...one of my young plants...

post-42-1174859694_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

That is a great pic Daryl. What a great palm.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.