IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Did anyone keep track of their temperatures this winter? How are your tropical palms faring?

kylecawazafla

I'm currently living in Grenada, so have been occasionally monitoring the temperatures around the USA this season from a distance, and have been so astounded by the drastic deviation they've been from the norm! The local ski resort I went to outside of Seattle in high school never even fully opened this winter (first time ever), Tahoe closed many of its slopes mid season, and Jim is growing a Coconut in Los Altos! XP I read an article that stated that the mean temperature this winter for Salinas, CA was 57 F! Paradise on Mount Rainier has recorded up to 1,122 inches of snow in a season, but received less than 150 inches this winter!

I was just curious how people's palms have been doing for this unusual season and what people's mean temperatures were compared to what they normally observe. The weather has been pretty consistent in Grenada! 85/75 F pretty much every day!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Well, Kyle, you ask a profound question.

Share pictures of Grenada. People. Plants. Your adventures there.

I wasn't keeping tabs, on the temps, just hoping it would rain.

Which it did, a bit, but.

Here, we're deviated, too, on the high side.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It's been so long since my garden experienced a real freeze (2007) that my confidence level for growing tropical palms is ridiculously high right now. No frost at all this past winter but still several nights in the 30s with an ultimate low of 32.5F in December. Daytime winter highs were higher than normal the last two winters. I've got a few Carpoxylon macrospermum that look good as well as M. dariani, Loxoccocus, Pinanga, and various other tropical palms and most of you have seen pics of my robust Lemurophoenix. Tweny four years ago, when I planted my first five Archontophoenix, I thought those were as exotic as it could get up here and they're sky high palms now. Today I planted three Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus, two Geonoma bondariana, three G. cuneata v. indivisa, a Dypsis utilis, and D. mahajanga even though I had vowed not to add any new palms this season. :hmm: Now, if it would just rain some more!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Hello guys! Grenada is nice! Full of friendly people and comfortable weather… surprisingly more tolerable than Miami! I hope you guys get more rain soon! I have my fingers crossed that maybe a decrease in winter rain will mean an increase in summer monsoons! That's pretty wishful thinking, however. Jim! I hope those palms do well for you! I wish I had been interested in palm trees just a few years sooner so I could have had some palms starting up in Corte Madera, CA. Here are some pictures of Grenada. It's very gorgeous, but I rarely get to go out and explore!

15321586427_093888341e_c.jpg

15456835933_41cc3628a3_c.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm always up for learning new things!

Hey Kyle !

Yea the weather has been freaky.

I had 3 sub freezing mornings.

Which is hit and miss .

But our winters have actually been quite mild.

Most days in the 60's and low 70's.

March has been really warm our avearge high is about 79-80f and low near 50f .

Our high temps at 37north have been warmer than Brownsville tx. This March

Only Palm in my garden that saw damage was a lowly King palm I planted last fall.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

what a tropical paradise!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hello guys! Grenada is nice! Full of friendly people and comfortable weather… surprisingly more tolerable than Miami! I hope you guys get more rain soon! I have my fingers crossed that maybe a decrease in winter rain will mean an increase in summer monsoons! That's pretty wishful thinking, however. Jim! I hope those palms do well for you! I wish I had been interested in palm trees just a few years sooner so I could have had some palms starting up in Corte Madera, CA. Here are some pictures of Grenada. It's very gorgeous, but I rarely get to go out and explore!

15321586427_093888341e_c.jpg

15456835933_41cc3628a3_c.jpg

Kyle, I've enjoyed your Facebook entries a lot too. Grenada is a tropical paradise and you must be loving every minute of being there, except all your studying time of course.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Ah, Kyle, more pictures.

We don't all Facebook . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.