IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Ceiba speciosa tree developed a seed pod

Walt

I bought my tree many years ago and it's been frozen down many times. However, the past three winters were mild enough that my tree suffered no freeze damage.

About 5-6 weeks ago I happened to notice a seed pod growing on my tree. I knew it would eventually open, exposing the cotton like fluff. Well, yesterday I noticed the sectional covering had detached and fallen to the ground. I got a tall step ladder and pulled off the cottony seed pod, took it in the house and opened it up, exposing many black seeds.

Frankly, I was surprised my small tree even made a seed pod, as I have read they rarely set a seed pod outside the tropics.

I now plan on sowing some of the seeds so as to start some new trees. Does anyone know how long it takes for germination (under ideal conditions)? I just need some idea so I know what to expect.

Ceiba%20speciosa%20tree_zpsibxsfosx.jpg

Above photo: My small Ceiba speciosa tree with lone seed pod in upper center.

Ceiba%20speciosa%201_zpsc5ltyjym.jpg

Above photo: Seed pod still on tree after outer sectional covering detached and fell to ground.

Ceiba%20speciosa%202_zpsqhmk4k5n.jpg

Above photo: Opened seed pod showing many, many seeds.

Mad about palms

With any Bombacaceae (Kapoks, Floss Silks, Baobabs, etc), they tend to have a hard seed coat. I've read about people doing hot water immersion and all that stuff. The best thing that has worked for me is to lightly nick the seed coat with the corner of a pair of toenail clippers. They germinate within a few days and take off from there!

Thank you for the tour of your place. My palm is happy in the ground now =)

With any Bombacaceae (Kapoks, Floss Silks, Baobabs, etc), they tend to have a hard seed coat. I've read about people doing hot water immersion and all that stuff. The best thing that has worked for me is to lightly nick the seed coat with the corner of a pair of toenail clippers. They germinate within a few days and take off from there!

Thank you for the tour of your place. My palm is happy in the ground now =)

Adam: I counted 184 seeds in that pod. So, I will try seed scarification on some (one pot) and no scarification on another pot -- just to see what the germination time difference will be. I just want to know for my own knowledge, the time difference.

You are welcome for the property tour. Today I planted a 10 gallon black Timor bamboo near another clump I have. Hope your Sabal lisa does well for you.

Mad about palms

Interesting, While on older trees, always have observed seed pods on trees both here in Bradenton and back in CA. Had also heard a few times that Red Kapok Trees supposedly never set fruit locally. Passed several trees between the River Walk near Downtown Bradenton which are loaded with seedpods last weekend.

As far as length of time from sowing to Germination, id agree that scarified seeds will germinate faster, but, have noticed that amount of heat provided was a bigger factor in how quickly seed id tried in the past started growing. Look forward to what timing differences you observe between the treated batch of seed vs. the un-treated seeds.

-Nathan

Edited by Silas_Sancona

Interesting, While on older trees, always have observed seed pods on trees both here in Bradenton and back in CA. Had also heard a few times that Red Kapok Trees supposedly never set fruit locally. Passed several trees between the River Walk near Downtown Bradenton which are loaded with seedpods last weekend.

As far as length of time from sowing to Germination, id agree that scarified seeds will germinate faster, but, have noticed that amount of heat provided was a bigger factor in how quickly seed id tried in the past started growing. Look forward to what timing differences you observe between the treated batch of seed vs. the un-treated seeds.

-Nathan

I'm going to wait until after this welcome cool spell (I've already had four 90 degree days here and need a respite) and then sow the seeds. I will take photos with date stamps, then repost showing how long it takes for the seeds to germinate. Still, germination would be even faster had I sow them later in the year when nighttime lows stayed in the 70s.

Mad about palms

• 3 weeks later...

-Nathan

Okay. I sowed unclipped (un scarified) seed and clipped seed in separate pots. The clipped seeds started to germinate in about 4-5 days (black pot), the unclipped only one day later (clay red pot)! I took the below photo today. I'd say in another 3-4 days all the seeds will have germinated. I'm impressed how fast these seeds germinated and the speed to which these seedlings grow.

I sowed these seeds in my greenhouse which gets to 100 F + during the day and about 70F at night, so no doubt the daytime heat was a big factor in the fast germination time.

Cebia%20speciosa_zpspyeot7lo.jpg

Mad about palms

Good info Walt, Have had similar results when sowing both these as well as seed off Red Kapok this time of year.

Earlier heat this year has definitely enhanced seed germination overall.

Harvested a pod off one of my Golden Trumpet trees ( Handroanthus chrysotrichus) Monday. Seedlings are exploding out of all three pots atm.. Think this has to be the fastest germination I have seen on any of my subtropicals.

Also saw quick germination on a couple batches of Ylang Ylang seed id saved from a branch a customer had brought in for identification at the nursery I work for. Fruit was still green on the branch and i wasn't sure any of the seed would sprout. Figured they wouldn't have been fully developed. Guessing there are about 30 seedlings up atm..

-Nathan

Ceiba speciosa sets copious seed in California. I think it should be called the dinosaur egg tree there. That's always how I thought of it. Really a great tree and adaptable to many climates. I'm trying to remember if I ever sprouted any seed...not remembering but in any event I think I agree scarification/soak to swell and plant straightaway. I doubt it takes long to sprout as this plant has some screaming fast genetics.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Yesterday I carefully dumped the largest pot of Ceiba speciosa seedlings and potted them up in separate pots. Way too many to singly pot, so I doubled, tripled, and quad drupled them. I still have the other pot of seedlings, the ones I nipped the seed ends off to speed up germination.

C.%20speciosa_zpspxkbxzhh.jpg

C.%20speciosa%202_zpsiqwnc9rp.jpg

C.%20speciosa%203_zpsy3iook7a.jpg

Mad about palms