IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MULE PALMS NOW IN H>D>

gsytch

This evening, I was looking in the orange H.D. and yes, they had 7gal and 15gal Mule Palms. I was floored. Stuck in the back, lumped with other palms, there were at least 4 of them. I have two planted in my yard, and the one in full sun is growing huge. The one in part sun, half the size. At $79 for a nice 7 gal, I'll include another now. I just could not believe it! :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Were they labled as mules?....has Eric hit the big time?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wow. Way to go, HD! It's nice to see HD taking a little risk from the run-of-the-mill. I thought HD didn't sell anything that wasn't grown at Costa Farms. How refreshing.

HD on Ponce De Leon in Saint Augustine has Mules for over a year now. Pretty sure Frank at Moultrie told me he supplied those.

Nice to hear that mules are being carried there now (hand claps to Eric). We are big fans of mules as a beautiful, low maintenace palm that provides decent shade once it reaches some height and maturity. Just hope people realize how much of a canopy spread they can have so that they are planted in an ideal spot that will allow their canopy to spread naturally.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Better believe it.

It will be interesting to see what you think of Home Depot. I know a few nurserymen locally that were brought to bankruptcy once they got into Home Depot. Weren't selling palms though. They squeezed all the margins out of them, had to give them Net 90, and were required to replace customer returns or dead store product. Again, these were not palms, so totally different animal.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

They were labeled as Mule Palms. They were not given any additional culture, just a label on the plant's pot. I recognized them from afar. I could use one or two here for that canopy. I saw the large one at $149, it was trunking. The smaller one was $79. That was about 7 or 10gal pot. I got my two from Brooksville two years ago. The one in full sun is trunked and about 15' tall already. :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Better believe it.

It will be interesting to see what you think of Home Depot. I know a few nurserymen locally that were brought to bankruptcy once they got into Home Depot. Weren't selling palms though. They squeezed all the margins out of them, had to give them Net 90, and were required to replace customer returns or dead store product. Again, these were not palms, so totally different animal.

The fact that they are mules will probably help on this front - tough to kill. That said, I have done it!!!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Always wondered what the difference between the two big box stores is, in terms of the nursery man's side of dealing with them. From the customer side the one that's not orange is easier to deal with. They will always have bargain bins of product that is not moving or in decline. I would think this is better from the growers perspective because these are not having to be replaced.

Even still being able to buy direct from the grower is really the most preferable method for a myriad of reasons.

PICTURES! Just found out that the box stores will replace plants that die within 12 months. I had bought some coconuts from there and thought that I could replace them every year for free after winter with that policy!

• 2 weeks later...

selling anything to a big-box merchant is a mixed blessing

plants especially

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We all knew the day was coming. ....nothing to do but move on to the next thing if you are a hybridizer. BxPJC or something else. Probably some people watching to see how commercially profitable mules will become before anything else would be considered on the same scale. The mule palm guys .... Eric & Mark, Mark Heath, Moultrie ect. Have worked long and hard to reach this point. I for one give them Kudo's for their efforts. I know some on here don't agree ..... but anything that makes the world more palmy is cool with me.

• Upvote 1

I am with David, any effort for widespread of palms must be aknowledged and ascribed to involved persons!

Who knows, maybe someday they will be so successful and Mules will be so cheap and so widely planted that people will look down them as they do Queen palms today. Then real success will have been achieved. :floor:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I think the problem with queens is they are grown in the wrong conditions. I hear they need acid soil plenty of water and heavy fertilizer. Nothing wrong with a well grown queen