IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Death

Gtlevine

This is the second time this has happened this year. Add this to the two Bizmarkia and one Dypsis OCWS that was consumed by Gophers, then tack on the two Sagos that were dug up and stolen and you get a very bad year for palm losses.

A drunk driver went off the road onto my property and crashed into a very old Phoenix Theophrastii that was just starting to get big. The upper third is crushed and bent over, I don't think it survives. Whats worse, when the drunk tried to remove the vehicle, he backed into one of my smaller Bizmark palms and it is now at an acute angle, I'm not sure what to do with it.

Like many of the human race that has no morality or honesty, they left without notifying me and taking responsibility for my losses.

Anyway, here are the photos:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/...033865512jPOWNx

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/...033865512YDZWgq

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/...033865512iGzzVF

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary,

Have you considered putting a row of large boulders just inside your property line?

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Dear Gary  :)

iam very sorry to hear about your palm.

and all this day i did not know that you are the same

memeber in webshots.its a honour to have you amoungst

us.

your stills are terrefic.and i used to visit quite often.and others who i visit often is Zac & Walt in webshots.com

And Freddy's suggestion looks to me worth the try.since you have beautiful Bizie lady to save and even some

exocitic palms on the drive way..

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow. Bummer. I can't beleive they drove that far up to hit the palm. I bet it lives though.

Fred has a good point about the boulders.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Sorry to hear about your tragedy, sadly the driver porbably didn't even know or care about the damage he caused.  It was hard to tell how badly damaged the small Biszmarckia is, do you have a more up close shot?

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

(Don_L @ Mar. 24 2007,16:36)

Sorry to hear about your tragedy, sadly the driver porbably didn't even know or care about the damage he caused.  It was hard to tell how badly damaged the small Biszmarckia is, do you have a more up close shot?

I don't have another shot of the Biz, but it is leaning at about 30 degrees from center. I raked the soil and just left the Biz, I think it will survive but will look funny for several years until it turns upward. After evaluating the Phonix Theophrastiii, I deamed it a loss and dug it up and removed it today. It was a slow growing Phoenix and a tough loss to swallow. I think I will plant another Phoenix Dactylifera in it's place.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

In my humble opinion, you MUST straighten that bizzie. Get a star picket in 10 feet away and rope that sucker to an upright position. If not, the chances of collapse are increased, why not reverse that situation.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Gary!

Sad to hear.

As the Japanese would say:  ITAI!  Ouch.

But I can tell you it takes a lot more than a moron in a car to kill a P. Theo.  That damage looks a lot worse than it is, IMHO.  I'd plant it again, water it.

They're TOUGH [Oedipal Expletives]!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gary,

Sorry to hear about your palms. The only bright side is, thank God it was a plant and not some person in a car,or maybe someone on a bicycle, or even worse, a small child walking there. Straighten the Bizzy up and good luck.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Yeah, Fred has the right idea.  Gary you should fortify your property with those massive boulders from your land.

You guys are right, the first thing on my agenda when I return from Madagascar is to get a backhoe in here and pile up some big boulders.

Dave, the damage was really bad on that Phoenix, I had to dig it out and toss it.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary, sorry to here about your gopher problem they seem to be on mission this year. Have you ever tried an owl box in your yard? I hear owls can consume up to three gophers a day or night. I had to start using gopher baits, gopher stakes, McCabe traps, the dog, sharpe end of the shovel and smoke bombs just to try and control those bastar_ _s this year. You can see this is a small problem in fact I'm putting on a head lamp to go search for new digs right now. Something’s going to die, just hope it’s not that new palm I planted today........

Plant a palm....

Dendrocalumus Gigantea, worlds largest bamboo, 12' culms...that'll stop 'em (and be muy tropical at the same time)

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

I have heard from a person that works for a pest control company (no names) and I would never do such a thing@@@@ but they said if you soak a rag in antifreeze then ball it up (not tight) and push it down into the new hole and cover it with dirt, your problems with gophers will go away....

Cypress, Ca.

I think you could pitch a reality show to one of the networks based on your experiences at Rancho Levine

I get by with a little help from my fronds

(RadPalms @ Mar. 24 2007,23:14)

I have heard from a person that works for a pest control company (no names) and I would never do such a thing@@@@ but they said if you soak a rag in antifreeze then ball it up (not tight) and push it down into the new hole and cover it with dirt, your problems with gophers will go away....

I had a dog die from antifreeze poisoning a long time ago.  This stuff is like candy to all animal life.  Please don't use it.  The death is exceedingly slow and horrifyingly painful.  I never heard a dog scream like that.

Sorry about your Phoenix.  Boulders are a great idea.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Gary- That bites...to bad the car didn't land on a home of gophers instead!!...

BS

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Kathy.......That is why you would want to push it down the hole and cover.....You would not want to do this if you had pets.....I would not want to see a pet suffer and die either.  

Palmhut1.......I can't see me urinating into a golpher hole I'd probably miss......and canine unrine would be hard to collect.....following your dog around with a pan....lol

Curt..

Cypress, Ca.

Gary,

forget about boulders..... how about planting some IED's :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Gary, Sorry about your palms!  :angry:

Isn't there an ultra sonic something that emits a pitch that only the animals could hear and thereby chase them away? I though this has been mentioned before. Supposedly it's humane.  ???

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Gary:

Sad to hear about tossing, but it was your palm and your choice, so sad.

Hmm.  

Fred's idea about the boulders is good, but it's a lot of dough.

Maybe a strutural steel skeleton with a stucco frame, like the Paranoid wall I wanted to build around my place?  

I can see how your place might be Crash Candy, with that curve in the road.  

Hey, why not just post the pics?  Now you can do it!  Gary has broadband!  Hooray!

How about the Jubeaopsis caffra . .. . from --EEK!  2001?  

How about a pic?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.