IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California heat

enigma99

Tired of the 90s already. Was planting some palms outside and couldn't handle the heat, will try again tonight. Palms are liking it though..

Bad news is, we're in a serious drought. Looks like we won't have rain until Winter

They're calling for 100 degree weather in my area for the weekend. I think we're breaking heat records for March.

So is it better to have too much heat or too much cold?

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Gee we've had one day around 90 so far but then it cooled off quite a bit, foggy mornings. This weekend we're suppose to start warming up so expect some high 80s maybe 90s. Evenings have been nice sleeping whether except for one night.

I'm really glad we installed our irrigation system last year (drips, bubblers) for our palms and started using mulch. It really makes a huge difference in retaining soil moisture below. That will be even more important as we go through another year of low rainfall.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Here in Tampa Bay, March has been very warm. Not as hot as you guys, but once that cold snap left on Feb 20, it warmed and stayed. We are having a chilly weekend now, low of 48F this morning and a high of 72F expected, yesterday stayed in the 60'sF. However, every day since March 5th has been well into the 80'sF and many nights hovered around 68-70F. It is expected back to 86F by Wed. The jet stream went zonal and allowed us to stay warm as the March sun baked. We also got two rounds of good rains last week totaling about two inches here. The growth both in the yard and shadehouses has been awesome. You guys need rain badly. Any hope for a late season storm? :bemused:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Been perfect Rhopalostylis weather here. Think I'll plant some Archontophoenix and Ceroxylon....

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

How was everyone's March?

My official stats were:

Average High 76.2F

Average low 49F

Edited by enigma99

We've been on the cool side down here this past week and same expected this week. Nice actually. Heard we have some rain coming this way maybe for Easter weekend. Hope it's a good downpour. Another possible front coming through afterwards. Hope you get some your way enigma. I know your inland more than we are.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Yeah, hope we do get some rain. Especially now watering is down to 2 days. Got up to 73 but this morning was a little cool.