IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New b.alfreddii turning yellow/brown

Straight6tt

Recently got a b.alfreddi on your favorite auction site. Its been potted up for a few weeks now but it seems to be getting more yellow and brown each week. Is this normal for a new palm of this size? Its in a relatively small pot of basic potting soil mixed with some lava rock and cactus palm soil from home depot. I did not add any fertilizer and have been regularly watering it when the soil seems a bit dry. This is getting sun from morning until about noon or slightly after. I am concerned because it seems more and more leaves are "dying" and the emerging spear (while green) isnt growing.

Thanks if there is something I can/should change now than I will as I dont want to lose this guy.

post-13098-0-48713700-1426978814_thumb.j

post-13098-0-24860800-1426978818_thumb.j

post-13098-0-75166300-1426978821_thumb.j

Might be pissed off about being bare rooted. Not sure you can do much but wait...that's my take, anyway.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

How dry was it when you received it? If the roots were dry, it is likely that they died and new roots will have to grow. B. alfredii is pretty tough....keep on watching it but do not drown it. If the soil is damp the tree will accept it. Partial shade may also be recommended.

These are tough palms.......I have recovered them after a central spear pull....

Good luck!

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

You gonna keep it in a pot or put it in the ground? ...... if the latter....this is a good time to do it. Heard others say they love being in ground.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Usually these LOVE water and sun. But it looks like some of the leaves are yellowing from the petiole outward.

Might douse the little thing with some hydrogen peroxide and let the soil dry more. To give the palm a break, I'd aim for more shade too.

Something has stressed it. Normally, I would agree with Alicehunter, but the palm is already stressed enough. I wouldn't do anything that could stress it more, including planting.

Thanks for the suggestions, im going to give it some hydrogen peroxide and more shade and see if that helps. Unless it was hit with cold during shipping (which I cant recall) its never seen cold here.