IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some cold damage

SailorBold

Here are some pics from my yard after winter 2014-2015. To recap- the ultimate low was about 15F (-9C) and the airport NWS reported 15 inches of snow.. one storm dumped 9 inches! Many freezes.. I might go back and compile some of the data to give numbers out of curiosity but there were many nights below 32F (0C).

My neighborhood saw less snow than the reported numbers during snow events.. if I were to give a total I would say maybe 10 inches or so. i had one day below 30F (-1C) and that is taken from the nearest WU station.

I had no spear pulls.

As far as observed cold damage...

1 Brahea armata- Slight damage to older leaves I don't know maybe 10%.. I think it actually grew some. Spear looks good.

3 'TorC' Washgintonia filifera- mostly undamaged until last storm a few weeks back.. the palms have resumed growth and have a good amount of green still but they are damaged from that temperature. They were planted as strap leaf seedlings 2 years ago.

2 Butia (1 green and 1 blue)- The blue butia spear 'frizzled' but is intact; I tugged on it today and it is solid. There is no damage to older leaves.. the green form slight blemish on spear.. like a straw colored leaf segment- but other than that looks fine and spear is solid. Overall I thought these would be hardier.

1 JxBB hybrid- Appears fine at this point I don't see any damage. Seems like it grew some.

2 BJxB hybrid- 1 absolutely no damage and very solid. The other has leaf damage and some spear damage but it is growing; this palm is green in form whereas the other is bluish tinted.

Needle palms are fine- still establishing spears solid.

That's it for now..

post-8989-0-58285700-1426559660_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-24080000-1426559698_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-20904000-1426559727_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-77926000-1426559774_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-12233000-1426559815_thumb.jp

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Not too bad my southwest friend. I'd like to know how many days below freezing for ya as well. So far, I've had 48 (ouch!) but still 5 below the average. 15 Low Isn't too bad, glad to see all your palms are still looking pretty good despite the late wrecking ball of snow that came your way.

I swear, W. filifera grow just as fast as Robusta's do. I've had one since a small strap leafed seedling as well and I've neglected the hell out of it and it still is growing like crazy. Yours are enormous for being only 2 years old, but I believe it!

Looks good! They should only get more resistant as they get larger!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Not too bad my southwest friend. I'd like to know how many days below freezing for ya as well. So far, I've had 48 (ouch!) but still 5 below the average. 15 Low Isn't too bad, glad to see all your palms are still looking pretty good despite the late wrecking ball of snow that came your way.

I swear, W. filifera grow just as fast as Robusta's do. I've had one since a small strap leafed seedling as well and I've neglected the hell out of it and it still is growing like crazy. Yours are enormous for being only 2 years old, but I believe it!

That snow was crazy balls.. the worst all season. The weather here is like that- you can experience all seasons in one single day.

The filifera have shown some incredible growth and they are going into their third year.. so I expect they will take off this year. Ill keep you updated on these guys.

Looks good! They should only get more resistant as they get larger!

They have a funky end of winter color.. hopefully they will grow out of that soon although it is possible I over fertilized them too. eeg..

Does Butia get hardier as they get larger? the spear frizzle is worrisome.

Good to see your palms will pull through. I had one spear pull this winter. JxBxQ total spear pull the other day and this is not the first time so maybe it will recover, I’m starting to think I would do better for me in a container if it makes it.

Glad to see your babies are doing ok. 15F can cause lots of damage and sometime nothing at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about the butia. I get a brown spear here and there in north Fl. Overall, I think you came out pretty good!

Your palms are doing better than I was expecting after seeing your weather posts this winter. Look pretty good.

Is that black decomposed granite lining your beds? Assume it radiates a decent amount of heat when the sun is out during your winters ... and not covered with snow.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

I will note that it was 15F twice.. and that the first 15F night they were uncovered in late December early January. then I used tablecloths and black trashbags for a quick cover and removed a few days later. After that no protection at all. they are still small plants but I didn't see anything being forecasted to be concerned.

The last storm which still wasn't cold temperature wise kept the temps below 30 for nearly 2 days..and the result was damage so duration was the reason in this case. Something I will pay closer attention to in the future :bemused: lol

Palmcrazy- I am sorry to hear that.. this seems to be the problem even with mule palms at young age.. whereas it is nothing permanent- just something it will grow out of. if I may ask.. where did you find that palm? That is also a hybrid I am interested in giving a go. Amazing tree.

bbrantley- Thanks.. I am hopeful. The butia is resuming growth now... I was reluctant to pull on the spear but its solid luckily. Do you ever have to pour fungicide into your trees?

Your palms are doing better than I was expecting after seeing your weather posts this winter. Look pretty good.

Is that black decomposed granite lining your beds? Assume it radiates a decent amount of heat when the sun is out during your winters ... and not covered with snow.

I thought it might be worse! Thanks.. Overall I am pretty happy and will pay closer attention to the forecasts. I swear though half the time they don't get it right as it was unexpected.

The snow doesn't last long...thank goodness. The substrate I decided on is actually black basalt crusherfine. Its a bit dull.. but the benefit is the extra amount of warmth it does provide. My opinion is it helps with root development thus far..

I did a quick check on days below 32 and the numbers are in the 70-80 range. The avg monthly lows for dec jan feb were 30, 27, and 29 respectively. I didn't get into the WU stuff but I suspect I am slightly warmer in my neighborhood by some of the data I looked at some time ago (1-3 degrees).

To recap there were many severe freezes..with moderate to light mixed in there. The airport reported 13 as the minimum. 15 and 16 after that.

It was about average..

Interesting.. Pick your poison: Would you rather have an ultimate low of 11 degrees (twice) and ~50 days below freezing or would you keep what you have? Heck, you basically had an 8B winter- not bad. So I take it you haven't been influenced by the overall pattern of warmth that has been effecting the western states? I wonder where it cuts off?

Jimmy, I got the palm from a guy in Seattle area that was selling them, but he told me he originally got it from Patrick in NoCali. Sorry I don’t have Patrick’s email, but maybe you already have it.

Edited by Palm crazy