IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What cold hardy palms are available in Dallas/San Antonio area

sashaeffer

Planning a trip to San Antonio in May and was curious what cold hardy palms can I expect to find at big box stores. Will be driving down in my truck and would be a shame not to have it full of palms.

Scott/Omaha

you probably won't find much beyond queens,med fans,chinese fans,pindos,washingtonias, and pygmy dates ,occasionally they will have needle palms, maybe some cycas revoluta .... I have trolled a lot of box stores and it never gets too exciting

Darn, was hoping to pick up some larger Sabals. Any Bizzys sold there even at regular nurseries?

few and far between from what i have seen, you may find sabals in a fifteen gallon container I know there was a palm nursery in Dallas but I was never able to actually find it so it may have shut down

not a box store but you may want to check him out I have stopped there a few years back but it was all mostly large B and B stuf

1. Paradise Palms At York Creek
  2. Garden Center
  3. Address: 8212 IH 35 North, New Braunfels, TX 78130
    Hours:
    Open today · 9:00 am – 7:00 pm

f

If I can fit palms in the back of my truck that is the size that I'll be after. I've seen palm tree "farmers markets" type sales in pictures on the web so I know they have to exist somewhere down there. Only asked about box stores because when I did similar trip to San Diego last May, box stores had quite a variety at about the 1/3 of the cost on some of what I was after.

Thanks for the tip on the nursery, will have to check them out.

These places in Austin generally have palms for sale. Not sure when you are passing through town, but South by Southwest is starting this week and getting through town could be very difficult for someone not familiar with the roads less traveled.

Great Outdoors at 2730 S Congress Ave (512.448.2992) and Barton Springs Nursery at 3601 Bee Caves Road (512.328.6655). They should both have various sabals and maybe a bizzy or two. No promises.

Welcome to Texas!

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Thanks for the tips! End of may is when we'll be there. Looking forward to the River Walk...and palm hunting.

Hey Scott! Good stuff man, I live in San Antonio, but I'm from Omaha (Fremont actually, wife is from Omaha, and yes we're still Huskers).

What others have said, is pretty much it. I have Mules, Jubaea, JxB, and livistonia but had to order them all online. They're all in pots still except for the mules. Lowes has an affinity for pindo's, Pygmy dates and Sago's. You could occasionally find a queen but most stopped selling as they don't do great down here due to the occasional cold snap.

There is a nursery in Austin, if I can find the name I'll post it, that had Sabals, including riversides, I haven't been to the nursery in new braunfels yet, but there's a few big ones that are on my list to go to. I'm actually 20 miles west of San Antonio, so making it up to the NE side is a trip for me and my 4 year old.

If you do happen to find some bizzy's let me know immediately!! :) Biz and JxS are my two must have's that I don't have. :)

Edited by Duppy

• 2 months later...

lol, appreciate that thought. I seem to be the dumping off point for Sago's and don't even like them much anyway.

There is a large box store on the north bound access road of IH-35 between San Marcos and New Braunfels with lots of Trachycarpus. Can't miss it. On your left as you are heading south to San Antonio.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

I'll try and get some up today, but may not be until I get back from San Antonio this weekend. Still have a couple of holes to fill outside. ;)

Good thing you don't want that Sago, when you didn't respond I moved it. :mrlooney:

I made it into town and checked out Palm Buddha. http://www.palmbuddha.com It's a pretty impressive place considering it's in San Antonio. I'm pretty sure he had Trachy but I was on a mission for a Mediterranean fan and spent most of my allowed time trying to pick one out. He had some Blue Hespers that caught my eye.

Unfortunately he doesn't have any hybrids, I'm trying to find a Phoenix Reclinata hybrid, but he did have plain Roebelenii.

He only had one small Bizzy, so I'll be heading to Houston at some point to get a bigger one to try and zone push.

Off the top of my head this is what i saw.

Trachycarpus Fortunei (if my memory serves me right)

Syagrus

Phoenix Canariensis

Phoenix Roebelenii

Washingtonia

Chamaerops

Butia

Brahea Armata

Bizmarckia (if you coun't the one)

Hope this helps.

Duppy

Edited by Duppy

It does! a small Bizzy would be a good score, as well as a Brahea Armata.

Thanks for all the info, looking forward to "hunting" but will have to allow quality time with the wife. She isn't as into the palm hobby as I am sorry to say.

Made it to both Paradise Palms and Palm Buddah. Most at Palm Buddah are specimen palms but what a interesting place. Was like a major jungle in there, almost out of Jurassic park! I saw the one Bizzy they had. $90 for that size seemed spot on, and they did have an assortment of Blue Mexican Fan palms but a tad on the high price side. You could seriously get lost in there. We saw a fraction of the 7 acres they said they have of palms.

That box store was a Home Depot and had decent variety as well. Just one Trachy for $30 an assortment of Filifras starting at $20 on up so will stop back and grab a few of them. Wish I could tell the exact difference between those and the Mexican Fan palms they also had. Nursery that supplied them seemed to do a good job with labeling and HD keeping them separate.

The big surprise was a few palms simply tagged as "palm tree" that were clearly a trunking species of Fishtail palm. Very cool and healthy looking too, so might have to stop back on grab one even though I have a pretty big one at home already.

Was a great trip to the San Antonio area, although sad to see the property loss of the flooding starting Sunday. We left extra early out of fear of interstates closing(and they were starting to around San Marcos, TX).

Was able to meet another palm talk member "Dynodaddy" outside of Fort Worth and was able to score all the the palms on my list, as well as a few others. There truly are some great members on here that share the passion of the hobby of palm collecting.

Thanks to all for their advice and suggestions.

Cool....that's one of the great things about this site....the connections between Palm enthusiast.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

post-9928-0-32092400-1432915416_thumb.jp

I think it was a good haul. Small assortment of the left is from Dynodaddy just outside of Fort Worth.

nice haul Scott.

are those robustas going straight in the ground?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Well......no. Stickers on pots say "Filifera" and at the Home Depot where these were they also had some on a different pallet that said "Robusta"

I can't tell them apart. When I stopped at Dynodaddy place he looked at them and said he was almost sure they were Robusta. He did have some smaller guaranteed Filiferas and he showed me the difference(he grows his own from guaranteed seed source). I bought one of his($12) and is part of that small grouping at the bottom left of the pic along with a small Waggie I bought from him that is now in the ground, as well as a Brahea clara I had been looking for.

The ones from Home Depot..what ever they are...were just $11 I won't plant them in the ground as I also bought a bunch of Trachy's you can see in the pic and I planted 3 of those. Smaller ones at Walmart were just $9.99 and they are about 4ft tall. Large one you see I bought at Home Depot for $49

My garage will be stuffed full of palms to over winter. I do have a Filibusta hybred that I bought online, but it's still in a 5 gallon pot. I had to put it in the greenhouse as we've had so much rain it's been water logging some palms outside in pots and it was one of them. It's coming back around though. I do believe it's a Filibusta because it doesn't grow anywhere near as fast as Robusta's I've bought locally and grown.

Edited by sashaeffer