IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden insects, spiders and such

Walter John

Nice to find a golden orb spider near my palms taking care of catching those nasty flying bugs that might affect plant growth and/or appearance.

post-51-0-48739300-1425966578_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-78415900-1425966541_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice Wal! Looks like he has already caught his dinner!

For some reason I have heaps of St Andrews Cross spiders in the garden currently...I'm forever walking into their web face first... :bummed:

16762291042_2c6167f6a9_h.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wal will appreciate.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Not in my garden but this hairy visitor definitely came from there. The wolf spiders seem tp have grown a bit bigger this year.

post-10546-0-81954700-1426042989_thumb.j

A pic with the dogs for scale

post-10546-0-64506000-1426043098_thumb.j

The black dog ended up eating the spider

Wal will appreciate.

Big Jim Stafford, still have "Swamp Witch" amongst my fav country track compilation.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Spiders are my one knock on Australia--but that's a big-ass monster knock for me--Pip, I might die if I saw that thing near me...

Spiders are my one knock on Australia--but that's a big-ass monster knock for me--Pip, I might die if I saw that thing near me...

That wolf spider isn't poisonous although they will bite if they feel threatened. Bites are painful but nothing really unless it leads to a bacterial infection.

Normally we have huntsman spiders in our house they can grow even bigger, still no worry about poisonous bites.

Gecko's are my perfered form of biological insect control.

That wolf spider isn't poisonous although they will bite if they feel threatened. Bites are painful but nothing really unless it leads to a bacterial infection.

Normally we have huntsman spiders in our house they can grow even bigger, still no worry about poisonous bites.

It has nothing to do with potential danger, and everything to do with 'phobia'--an irrational fear; no rational reason to fear it, I just can barely look at them, and when they start moving with all those legs.. I get shivers down my spine and want to physically move away--anywhere, but where I am at the moment. My grandma has ailurophobia--fear of cats. She doesn't think they will kill her or anything, but if you take a duster and touch the back of her leg(like how cats like to brush up on people's legs), you might kill her due to a heart attack...

I have no problem swiming with alligators--done so before. Approaching 16 foot crocodiles is no big deal, although potentially very dangerous--danger just doesn't even factor in when it comes to spiders and ticks. ehh!

I love all "God's little creatures", even though I send some of them back to Him when they 'misbehave' in the garden.

Mandrew, if you don't like the 8 legs on a spider moving around, how do you go with millipedes? I think most people have irrational fears about something, just that they're not often confronted by them and may not even be aware.

I'm getting into the water spiders in my garden (ponds and dam, that is). They catch fish but will also grab tadpoles and other aquatics.

Now who wouldn't love a cute face like this? Dolomedes instabilis.
pt_n_121231_04.jpg

This one's Megadolomedes australianus, Giant Water Spider. If you can imagine it on the palm of your hand, its legs would stretch out over most of it.
ala_n_150311_14.jpg

The reclusive Darwin Stick Insect, Eurycnema osiris. This one's a juvenile, 195 mm from head to tail. Adults are a bit larger and all green.
ai_n_141109_09.jpg

One of my little helpers despatching a Cane Toad for me, Slaty-grey snake, Stegonotus cucullatus.
ap_n_120211_04.jpg

Another great little helper around the garden, Hierodula sp., Jungle Mantis.
ai_n_130307_17.jpg

It has nothing to do with potential danger, and everything to do with 'phobia'--an irrational fear; no rational reason to fear it, I just can barely look at them, and when they start moving with all those legs.. I get shivers down my spine and want to physically move away--anywhere, but where I am at the moment. My grandma has ailurophobia--fear of cats. She doesn't think they will kill her or anything, but if you take a duster and touch the back of her leg(like how cats like to brush up on people's legs), you might kill her due to a heart attack...

I have no problem swiming with alligators--done so before. Approaching 16 foot crocodiles is no big deal, although potentially very dangerous--danger just doesn't even factor in when it comes to spiders and ticks. ehh!

Did I mention that wolf spiders often carrying their babies on their backs. It can be very startling when you realise that the spider you're trying to shoe out the door is leaving a trail of perfect miniatures of itself behind. The riything masd of spiders is pretty gross or spectacular depending on your frame of mind.

Water spiders also live on the surface of my swimming pool. Andrew I don't see you ever coming to Australia without some kind of therapy beforehand. There is just no way you can get away from spiders as they adapt so well to living in urban environments.

Andrew...if it's the legs you like ( :winkie: ), you should find this one interesting:

Long-jawed Orb Weaver - Tetragnatha sp. (Tetragnathidae)

Tetragnatha.20140819-01.jpg

Here's one of our local fishing spiders guarding my compost bin:

Fishing Spider - Dolomedes tenebrosus (Pisauridae)

D.tenebrosus.20130914-02.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

I love all "God's little creatures", even though I send some of them back to Him when they 'misbehave' in the garden.

Mandrew, if you don't like the 8 legs on a spider moving around, how do you go with millipedes? I think most people have irrational fears about something, just that they're not often confronted by them and may not even be aware.

I'm getting into the water spiders in my garden (ponds and dam, that is). They catch fish but will also grab tadpoles and other aquatics.

Now who wouldn't love a cute face like this? Dolomedes instabilis.

pt_n_121231_04.jpg

This one's Megadolomedes australianus, Giant Water Spider. If you can imagine it on the palm of your hand, its legs would stretch out over most of it.

ala_n_150311_14.jpg

The reclusive Darwin Stick Insect, Eurycnema osiris. This one's a juvenile, 195 mm from head to tail. Adults are a bit larger and all green.

ai_n_141109_09.jpg

One of my little helpers despatching a Cane Toad for me, Slaty-grey snake, Stegonotus cucullatus.

ap_n_120211_04.jpg

Another great little helper around the garden, Hierodula sp., Jungle Mantis.

ai_n_130307_17.jpg

Zig, are those Slaty Grey snakes not affected by Cane Toad venom?

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Does this scare you Andrew???

We don't get Peacock spiders in the garden, but have heaps of these cute little jumping spiders...

post-42-0-14414900-1426371623_thumb.jpg

To give you an idea of the size, he is sitting on a single palm leaflet!

At the other end of the scale, we get a lot of Grey Huntsman spiders as well, and they love coming inside! The trunk in the picture is my Triangle/Teddy cross and is 14" across where the spider is...

post-42-0-97517100-1426371935_thumb.jpg

Love the jumping spiders, and that peacock spider is awesome. Is that an Australian species?

Here's one of our local species - Phidippus audax (Salticidae) Bold Jumper

P.audax.20140515-01.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

This is getting tough. Some of those spiders, it's hard to look at. Preying mantis or however you say the plural are no big deal; have held them before. Milipedes are no big deal but centipedes are quite scary... ok, I am no longer going to look at or respond to this thread. Thanks guys

Zig, are those Slaty Grey snakes not affected by Cane Toad venom?

That was something that puzzled me the first time I found and photographed a Slaty-grey eating a cane toad. That photo the Dept of Environment used in a publication about the toads. They never commented on the fact that Slaty-greys aren't listed as being immune to bufo toxins. I now have a number of photos of different incidents where the snakes (Slaty-greys) showed no ill effects after eating toads. Then I found a dead one with a dead toad in its mouth. The only thing I can work out is that the snakes that were okay were eating the toads in and around water. The deceased one was well away from water. However, this past year anecdotally there's been a dramatic drop in the number of snakes around my place. It could be the result of the very low rainfall with snakes encountering toads in dry conditions more frequently. But as I say, that's anecdotal. As far as I'm aware the only immune snakes are Keelbacks.

Those Peacock Spider are unreal. They're only found in southern Australia, but I'm hoping to find a first for the north :drool:

• 3 weeks later...

I need more spiders in my garden. I was wondering why there seemed to be more wasps flying about. I looked up today and found this stuck to the underside of the second story deck.post-10546-0-41461800-1427792096_thumb.j

I need more spiders in my garden. I was wondering why there seemed to be more wasps flying about. I looked up today and found this stuck to the underside of the second story deck.attachicon.gif20150331_164326_20150331191039023.jpg

Spiders are popular prey for wasps; I suspect more spiders in the garden would suit them well!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Does this scare you Andrew???

Flashing in technicolor!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I need more spiders in my garden. I was wondering why there seemed to be more wasps flying about. I looked up today and found this stuck to the underside of the second story deck.attachicon.gif20150331_164326_20150331191039023.jpg

Spiders are popular prey for wasps; I suspect more spiders in the garden would suit them well!

So I just learned from a quick google search for Paper wasps. It explains the sudden drop in the spider population.