IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So many Carpoxylon, so few grown to their potential...

Mandrew968

On Fri Oct 21 2016 10:24:57 GMT-0700, annafl said:

Yours is an amazing specimen, Andrew, and there are many beautiful examples in this thread.  You obviously love yours.  I think there are many examples of beautiful ones and there are many that are poorly grown, I'm sure, but that's probably true of many palm species.  Our Carpoxylon in Sarasota, FL is not huge, but it's starting to be a decent size.  We love it and find it an easy palm to grow.  It is in good, moisture-retentive soil in full-blazing Florida sun throughout the summer, and half day full sun through winter.  over the last four years we've had it it's adapted to that amount of sun and no longer gets tip burn on leaves.  Once or twice weekly watering from sprinkler when there's no rain.  Lately it's gotten fertilizer, but before this year hardly any.  Just easy peasy in our garden.

DSC_1896.JPG

That looks great!:greenthumb::)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I took the following photos of my Carpoxylon today. I hope it will trunk within a year. On the third try I got this one right.

Carpoxylon macrospermum5810d4f185295_Carpoxylonmacrospermum02105810d50706d03_Carpoxylonmacrospermum03105810d5226db23_Carpoxylonmacrospermum04105810d52f02ade_Carpoxylonmacrospermum0510

:wub:

Rio_Grande.gif

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Update...

20170625_134838.jpg

Nice Andrew.  I planted a 10 gallon a few years back and it crown rotted on me.  I thought too much water...planted in part sun.  Lasted the year and croaked.  Will have to give this another try next time I get out to the east coast and pick one up.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the largest and most beautiful specimens i have seen are growing out of straight lava rock with no irrigation...

we have one planted in a swampy area and it looks absolutely miserable, whereas the ones with roots popping up over bare rock are flawless

EBFB32CD-0046-48D9-B9E1-DE78ECDF8591.jpe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/03/2015, 1:29:03, PalmnutVN said:

They've got a gorgeous one in Singapore Botanical Gardens..... It's growing at the top of a slope too.

Ohh if only.......

post-6682-0-31889600-1426051700_thumb.jp

Definitely a Royal, in fact I know it well and it's labelled Roystonea oleracea, strangely the gardens only example. There are many more though in Singapore including a famous avenue in a park. This one I fear will never reach its potential as it's indeed "on a slope" and looks too high in the ground and even given Singapores high rainfall they prefer lower ground.

I prefer R.Oleracea, much much more rewarding to grow and super monster by comparison. I have seven Carpoxylon. The neglected ones are stunted like many pictured here, mature greyish strongly recurved foliage on a quite skinny small trunk. They appear to be difficult to kill but will just be smaller. The ones I water and planted in damp areas are still have juvenile enormous leaves, bardly trunking at all but with much much fatter crown shaft. If I was to plant again I would plant all like I do for Roystonea Oleracea, where the roots can find moisture because they love the stuff.

Edited by Rose

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the bump, nice to see the chronologically from all of the posts through the years. 

I agree, these can be beasts. Here’s an update from this morning. Look for the shovel with the orange handle for scale.

Tim 

53BCC27E-1B72-43FF-BE48-3E50EC70C17A.jpeg

DD8004A4-C7B0-4C75-916F-284212DF10EC.jpeg

CB8334AC-2BCC-4FC1-BF8C-724D303F8AEF.jpeg

• Like 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 11/16/2021 at 6:39 PM, realarch said:

I agree, these can be beasts. Here’s an update from this morning. Look for the shovel with the orange handle for scale.

Tim 

:lol: It's funny how you really DO have to look very closely to find the shovel in your photos, Tim! Wow, here's to looking up at your palms! B)

Carpoxylon has always been a favorite. I tried one in California and lost it, probably because I was afraid to water it too much during our cool winters. But in the Hawaii garden they get the automatic irrigation from the sky, and no worries about cold.  I like them so much, I cleared a new area and planted 5 more in April 2020. They were barely knee high, but should be trunking next month. :winkie: :winkie: :winkie:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 11/17/2021 at 4:02 AM, Mandrew968 said:

Those palms are monsters-nice! 

:shaka-2:

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Kim, I finally had to repaint the handle on the infamous super model shovel. 

Lots of rain and warm temps lately, your Carpoxylons are undoubtedly experiencing  a growth spurt. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Got a few of these. I think it was Mandrew who advised a lot of water and that advice has served me well. Definitely one of my favorite palms. 

20211118_204947.jpg