IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

bismarckia

FRITO

I ran across large bismarkias being sold today. quite large specimens for cheap. $139 for 30 gal

If the palm isnt pure bright silver does that indicate any defects or lack of cold hardiness?

there are 5 bismmarckias planted out at a local hotel.  I am not sure how many years they have been there.

They definently survived this winter unprotected. (airport recorded low of 18/19 degrees) although the airport is probably the coldest spot around here.  my meter recorded a low of 23.4 that same night.

I have found that my yard is never colder than the airport low temps and usually am 3-5 degrees warmer for night time lows.

is it worth it for me to spend $139 for a 30 gal bismarkia? it seems like a deal  that make it hard for me to pass up.

thanks for your comments in advanced

Luke

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Luke,

It sounds like a pretty good deal for your area. The good looking silver verses more of a green should have no bearing on cold hardiness.

jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Go for it man! Bizzies are tough, but I doubt 20 degree tough. Mine made it just fine through some cold nights, undercovered, (27F) this year and its still pushing fronds, and its not nearly a 30 gal plant.

thanks for the responses guys.

Hmm I dont have any real spot for this giant...I already have a small property filled with stuff :)

I have two flowering dicedous trees I might have to yank that have been in the back of my mind.

heres a photo of the front yard. notice the two dogwood? in a row with my sago palm.

thoughts on placement? amend the soil?

panoramic2-1.jpg

Luke

63" rain annually

The silver blue leafs always seem to withstand cold. When we hit 21F this last winter, I had 3 bizzy's and only 1 survived, but it seemed to be the most blue and silver. Strange, consider they are all suppose to be the silver variety.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Luke,

How about right smack in the middle of the lawn? That would probably give it as much sun as possible, and it'd be a spectacular view from all sides.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

I'm surprised you didn't recommend a grouping of about 20, filling the entire lawn area.  :P

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Luke

I agree with Bo, right in the middle, and by the looks of things you still have all kinds of room, depending on what kind of look you were going for.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Dean,

That was VERY tempting, but I don't know if Luke is ready for that... :P

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

dean & bo both have a good pont,but me personally i'd

try to fit 3 or 4 in there...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I had a silver Bismarkia about 4' high and it was swelling at the base.  It had survived two previous winters, but was totally fried at 23F and many below freezing nights this winter.  It took about a month to die, but it was totally dead without a speck of life left.  The Bismarkia was the only palm I lost to the freeze.  A Parajubaea T V T planted about 10' away from the Bismarkia was left with 3 undamaged fronds in the center and it's already growing again. I whacked off the 90% damaged fronds yesterday because I was tired of looking at them. A Butia X Parajubaea about 10' away was unprotected and not touched by the freeze and it's growing again too.

Dick

Richard Douglas

haha I thought about de-virginizing my front green space.  I really want a nice green patchh out front surounded by palms and tropicals.

in the back yard is where I am zeroscaping with palms... no grass anywhere eventually. its gonna be a palm jungle.

maybe the bizzie can go out back. hmm

Luke

63" rain annually

Dear Frito  :)

iam glad you love bizie lady ! and my suggestion is to keep

it close to your house,say 1513 number window is my first

choice,if not the next window.

but place it in straight line to your cycas opposite or parralel

to the plants adjecent to the window.but dont bring the

big lady anywhere close to the main lawn area.since the fert

for lawn is much different than the one we use for palms,

cycas or cacti..and if your are hosting some lawn parties

it will be a hindrence if you are planting any temperary

fixtures,tops or umberalas..

but take care that the roots or the leaves do not come to

close to the building foundation zone,drainage,power mains..

etc.

after you have planted it kindly give us a tour,just feed our

eyes. :)

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

My bizzie... which sounds smaller than yours, in January got snowed on on a Friday, took several hours of 24f on Saturday night, followed by a week of freezing//near freezing temperatures, yet it has zero damage... and is now pushing a new spear. I second the motion- put 'em all out front!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Tally gets pretty cold every year.  At least a couple nights in the low 20's to upper teens every year, with the occasional mid teen morning.  If $139 is what you are willing to pay for an experiment, or if you're willing to protect it a couple nights a year, go for it.  

Maybe you could build a campfire under it when it gets big :;): .

The saving grace is that you'd probably only need to deal with it a few nights a year.

I'd be interested to know its progress.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hmm I dont have any real spot for this giant...I already have a small property filled with stuff

Funny how people see things differently, all i see is a blank canvas, who needs lawn anyway :P

Im with Bo if your to give her a go smack right in the middle with full sun.

Sunshine Coast

Queensland

Australia

Subtropical climate

Bizzies get big.  Put it right out in the middle where everyone can see it and where it won't get in the way.  

And, if one looks good, 10 are 100 times as good . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I am going to try Bizmarkia's here so I say go for it. I'm thinking about growing them from seed so I will plant more than one. I have heard such a variety of reports about there cold hardiness that I really don't know what to believe, other than they are highly variable in hardiness. If I get some that can survive here, I will definately save the seeds as they will be worth $$.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

David,

that is a good idea.  developing the cold hardiest bismarkia would be nice.

I did that with queen palm seedlings this year, germinate lots and expose them to the winter elements and only grow the ones that survive.

Luke

63" rain annually

well I got the palm. i think another foot or so to the right (closer to the road) looks ideal. thoughts?

here it is:

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

Luke

63" rain annually

Looks great.

I agree with Paul, a grouping of 3 would look great.

I lost both of my bizzies :(  two nights of about 22F and many below freezing. Spears both pulled out. :angry:

Matt from Temecula, CA, 9b

Some Pics

Cycads

Temecula.gif

Well I just dug the hole and found my water line , will the root affect this? there is about 1" exposed in my hole about 1ft down, the palm will plop down right next to it (not on top) it is 1.5" pvc or so.

I agree 3 of these would definently dominate my front yard.. although I want to experiment with one for now rather than invest to much in marginal palms of this size.

Luke

63" rain annually

Dear Frito  :)

Just move the location to 2 to 3 feet away.and see that in case you are placing 2 more even they do not interfear

with the lines or connection.or else when this baby has

started its mad rush in grouth rate.right at that moment

those pvc will block or break due to pvc's old age and

you will have to renew the pipe and while digging out the

old pipes or lines the roots will get damaged and some

fungas grouth will damage the grown up palm ?

and while placing 2 more bizie palms try to buy a little smaller

specimen to this.so bigger one in the middle and 2 smaller

ones in its 2 sides(Left & right.and give space for this

palm to spread out its wings,not touching one another

at full grouth size.

And your palm looks great in that still.

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Luke  - that's a good lookin' Bizzie!.

It'll look good there, Kris has a good point about power lines, and why not try to fit in a couple of smaller one? You'll have the coolest yard around. :D

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(pohonkelapa @ Mar. 23 2007,15:56)

dean & bo both have a good pont,but me personally i'd

try to fit 3 or 4 in there...

Oh I don't know, yeh, 3 would be good. That way there's still room for something else. Man, that yard space is screaming for that bizzie.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.