IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Recommend shade palm(s) for zone 9a

Straight6tt

First off, im excited to have joined this forum. My wife first off thinks It is absolutely ridiculous that there is a forum dedicated to palm trees, but she loves the outdoors and ultimately likes the efforts I put into our garden. I will definetly post some pictures of the current garden once spring fully arrives and everything greens up.

Im looking to add some palms to the backyard in the back corner of my yard currently inhabitated by various trees (not really sure what, nothing very aesthetically pleasing). For the meantime they will grow under the canopy with the possibility of me potentially removing some of the trees to open it up more for the palms. (practically no direct sunlight)

I would like to try something I dont have, i currently (as im new to the hobby) only have pretty mainstream palms including:

phoenix sylvestris

washingtonia robusta

chamaerops humilus

mule palm (love this palm)

beccariophoenix alfredii (a bit optimistic i know)

I like both pinnate and fan palms. Thanks for the help!

Edited by Straight6tt

Probably the best-looking, and most foolproof/easy to grow is going to be a Needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix). You can probably even find one at your local home improvement garden center.

Also nice looking, but not as easy to find, would be Arenga ryukyuensis.

Other southeastern U.S. natives will do alright there, like Sabal minor and Serenoa repens.

Trachycarpus fortunei is easy to find, but only seems to grow in clay soil. At least around here, they decline and die in sandy locations. They look great in shade but do get tall.

Chamaedorea radicalis and microspadix will probably do really well for you and be very exotic and tropical-looking compared to the mainstream palms everyone else has, but won't be for sale at the big box store.

Ceratozamias look awesome in shade, many are very cold hardy, but again, they'll need to be sourced from a specialty grower or hobbyist. Also they aren't palms.

Livistona chinensis look their best in shade. They are easy to find, and get pretty tall. Maybe the least cold-hardy of everything mentioned, but easy to grow.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

You could also look into Sabal minor varieties like var. "Louisiana". They get big and develop a trunk, if that's what you're looking for. Or Sabal x Texensis and Sabal brazoria if you have the room.

Zamia floridana (coontie) will almost certainly do well for you. Again, not a palm though.

Arenga engleri if you can't find ryukyuensis.

Everglades palm (Acoelorraphe wrightii) has actually been hardy for me in zone 8b. Mine doesn't get full sun, but I don't know how much deep shade they'll take. Gets big eventually.

Anything on this site linked below will probably be hardy for you, though may not stand deep shade. What is your soil like there?

http://www.plantdelights.com/Hardy-Palms-and-Cycads-for-sale/Cold-hardy-Palms/Hardy-Palm-Trees/

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I agree with redbeard as far as the two Chamaedorea's go. I'm growing Chamaedorea Radicalis and Chamaedorea Microspadix in my yard. They've both seen down to 10 degrees and are still alive, albeit with damage. C. Microspadix is a bit less cold hardy than the Radicalis but should fare better down your way than where I'm at.

Agree with Redbeard...and Krishna's yard has just about everything that can be grown palm tree wise up here.

Livistonia chinensis should be a backbone/foundation palm for any shady tropical looking yard up here. They are available everywhere, at different sizes, and for great prices....these will provide most tropical bang for the buck of just about any 9a fan palm.

You have come into the hobby at a great time....mule palms are readily available online....I would recommend Eric....and as you already know they are absolutely fantastic palms up here. Get more....many more.

...and welcome to PalmTalk. Tell your wife that there are palm lovers from all over the world that frequent this site....and we are not weird...at least not THAT weird...lol

Also be very careful about cutting any trees down...think it through...if you are wanting to zone push, overhead canopy is sometimes more important than more sun. Frost can be very damaging to some marginal species.....(i.e Bizmarkia) and overhead oaks or other canopy can extend your palm palate.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yeah, I agree with the others, welcome!

Chamaedorea metallica can take down around 25, perhaps a bit less...

Look up Linospadix monostachya, I think they can take a bit of cold too. There might be a guy on the auction site still selling them.

Also, I agree with Alicehunter, existing overhead canopy is invaluable for frost protection. You'll be glad you have it!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Chuniophoenix might possibly make it, but go for Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum first.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 3 weeks later...

I'd fill my yard with K. elegans if I could do it over!

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

That'll make it in 9a? I thought it wouldn't even make it here in 9b.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That'll make it in 9a? I thought it wouldn't even make it here in 9b.

No way in 9a. But any most Livistonas would be a try. Dypsis decipiens promising. Arenga engleri is a must. As noted above Rhapis are great along with the Chamaedorea's. Part shade Trithinax acanthacoma.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sabal sp. Tamaulipas has a really cool looking color and does well in the shade.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yes way in 9A

Under canopy, in the shade.

No problem.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Mine made it through 2010s winter here in Brandon. I got down into the 20s

In fact, theyre one of the few that did...

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Yes way in 9A

Under canopy, in the shade.

No problem.

Although Gulfport and Brandon are both technically in 9a. One is on the border of 9b and the other on the border of 8b. Actually, I thought Gulfport was in 8b. Last winter, which was not particularly cold, they hit 19 degrees and low 20s is not uncommon at all. One of the biggest challenges will not be the ultimate low, but the wet winters and prolonged low temps. It bounces back fast in Florida, but not so up here. If I was a betting man, my bet says K. elegans without protection won't even a normal winter, but it would be fun to see it tried. And who knows we might get a string of warm ones again. I no longer bet on zones. Lost enough time and money over the years, so while I applaud those who like to push it, my advice will always be conservative.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Your right Keith.

K. elegans prolly wont make it on its own in the 9A, but with frost protection overhead, It will go.

I literally killed everthing in 2010, but this ol girls made it through thick n thin with me, so Im gonna give it credit.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Your right Keith.

K. elegans prolly wont make it on its own in the 9A, but with frost protection overhead, It will go.

I literally killed everthing in 2010, but this ol girls made it through thick n thin with me, so Im gonna give it credit.

Keep talking, you might even convince me to give them a try. :-)

My palm recs for Gulfport:

Arenga engleri, micrantha

chaemadorea radicalis, microspadix

Livistona chinensis

Trachycarpus martianus (Nepal), takil, princeps, fortunei

Rhapis multifida, humulis, excelsea

All of Patrick Schafer's hybrids

Any Sabal except mauritiformis, dominguensis

Crazy zone pushing recs: Beccariophoenix alfredii, Archontophoenix Cunningham, Bizmarkia