IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Tale of Two Parajubaea...Six Year Progression

Jim in Los Altos

These two Parajubaea torallyi torallyi are shown six years ago and today. The first one is planted right next to a queen and you can see how it will likely push the queen out of its way at some point. The queen's greedy roots have had no effect on the tor tor. The second is a P. torallyi 'strictor' as I call it since its fronds grow straight up. I planted it in the ground as a one leaf seedling of barely two inches about ten years ago and it's in full shade more or less.

post-181-0-21555600-1425511273_thumb.jpg post-181-0-45328900-1425511295_thumb.jpg post-181-0-94789000-1425511344_thumb.jpg

2009 2015 2015

post-181-0-56004000-1425511367_thumb.jpg post-181-0-65579700-1425511412_thumb.jpg

2009 2015

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Very nice and expressive growth. Very coconut looking.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Nice Jim! I am looking forward to seeing how all of my 15g plants develop - and comparing tor tor to tor micro to sunka to cocodies. All in the ground here.

Should be fun!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Jim, if that is a tor tor by your queen, it's going to do something interesting. The tor tor will get a base about 4 feet wide. Mine's my fattest palm so far. Even the Royals and C. gigas aren't even close.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Those look great! I'm adding them to my Palm tree wish list.

Look for my response to your PM

Hmm. Be interesting to see if they make it in the desert!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jim, if that is a tor tor by your queen, it's going to do something interesting. The tor tor will get a base about 4 feet wide. Mine's my fattest palm so far. Even the Royals and C. gigas aren't even close.

Dave, I sure hope so!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

There's got to be some advantages to growing palms in cooler climates and Parajubaea is one big advantage. What beautiful ones you've got too. I've planted 6 here and I wish I had more. If mine look as half as good as yours Jim, I'd be really happy.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

There's got to be some advantages to growing palms in cooler climates and Parajubaea is one big advantage. What beautiful ones you've got too. I've planted 6 here and I wish I had more. If mine look as half as good as yours Jim, I'd be really happy.

Thank you, Tyrone. I also have two other big fat torallyi, a sunka, and a cocoides. Cocoides are weak and I've lost two trunking ones to bud rot during the summer. Torallyi and sunka are really strong growers here so I wouldn't waste my time ever again with cocoides. I'm looking forward to when they start to fruit.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I've got a cocoides from seed from Darold's plant, one sunkha which is taking off and 4 P torralyi. I should get some pics sorted. These have by far been the strongest and best looking palms after winter here. When they're happy Parajubaea are real happy.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

That 'strictor' is SWEET--reminds me of Pete's prehistoric Ravanea in it's form and fiber.

These don't like heat!??? What a rip off...

Now now, you can grow some kickin stuff we can't even think about.

Like: Copernicias of the Cuban kind, Hyaphaene, bizzies to perfection (sorry, us beachtoids can't come close), maybe even Borassus. I'd sure try a Tahina out there, too.

Oh, yeah, planning a meeting at your place . . . .

That 'strictor' is SWEET--reminds me of Pete's prehistoric Ravanea in it's form and fiber.

Yes, and it being right next to a walkway, I couldn't be happier. I've recently had to tie up some of the fronds on the other one by the street so pedestrians and cars don't run into them. I guess that will be a constant chore until that one gets a lot taller.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Very nice Parajubs!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

These don't like heat!??? What a rip off...

Now now, you can grow some kickin stuff we can't even think about.

Like: Copernicias of the Cuban kind, Hyaphaene, bizzies to perfection (sorry, us beachtoids can't come close), maybe even Borassus. I'd sure try a Tahina out there, too.

Oh, yeah, planning a meeting at your place . . . .

Dave I have to start growing all those so we can have a meeting in 2040 with some nice copernicias to look at. Hahaha. But seriously, I do need to get some copernicias in the ground already.

I love it when people post yard progressions! the first looks like a real coconut...they are beautiful trees for sure..

You are very successful at what you do and very nice job.

It makes me wonder how close I may be able to plant things!

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Jim, for such valuable documentation of your beautiful garden!

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

As usual Jim manages to make me wish to put a bulldozer through my place and start again. I have had no luck at all with Parajubeas and P.cocoides has been one of my dream palms ever since I first took interest. Thanks Dave for mentioning bizzies. My little beastie is now over 3 metres high and thriving as well as surviving drought, flood, frost and famine. I think my best hope to get a garden as good as Jim's is to outlive him and hope he leaves it to me.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.