IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tacca time

Pedro 65

March here in Oz is when Tacca integrifolia or Bat plant shows its very cool Bat like flowers.

If you have some Tacca's in flower, post here. :)

Pete

post-5709-0-34535700-1425345029_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-15663000-1425345062_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-02032700-1425345115_thumb.jp

The T. leontopetaloides here is in full swing now, but the T. integrifolia is all leaf and no show.

Yes, I am jealous! :lol2: These are grown in the ground, or in pots? Such a spectacular display. The black ones are nice, too, but the white shows up better in most gardens. Thanks for the treat!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Pip, Gonz. Zig and Kim. :)

Kim, its in ground and I have a few black bats in pots that will be planted in the same shady, moist area as pics below show.

Pete

post-5709-0-03183200-1425421256_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-61209700-1425421326_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-03760300-1425421605_thumb.jp

Do they require a summer rainfall climate?

Pip, they like to be "continually moist" and grown in "shade", if they dry out they flop flat on the ground, you could grow them in a Shady , protected from dry winds, continually moist spot. In the real hot dry summer you get, "divert" the washing machine water to them so the ground never dries out :)

The flowers really are 'something else".

Pete

Some of my very favorite flowers! Doubt mine are in bloom now though. Stunning!

I recently added the slightly less amazing black bats and failed to pick a spot with continual moisture.

Just as you described it flattened like a pancake but with some TLC (water!) on my January visit it appeared to be recovering. Likely I should just move it to a better spot!

Cindy Adair

Pip, mine are under 50% s/cloth, 75% would be needed with yr dry heat.

Thanks Rob, I "enjoy" posting pics :)

Cindy, yes they are pretty darn tough cookies really, the blacks in pots where flat and fried but soon as good falls of rain arrived out comes a burst of new leaves, they are in ground and "happy now" , not long and you will be back home in your tropical garden :)

Thanks for the Black bat pics Tom :greenthumb: , the Whites are certainly the largest and most desirable flowerts of all the Tacca family.

Pete