IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota maxima var himalayana

Tyrone

With all the solitary Caryota's the age to flowering is an issue to consider when planting as they flower and die. With the giant 100ft tall species it's a REAL issue. I have planted a Caryota gigas which in my climate may take a good 40yrs to flower and I can live with that. I also have Caryota maxima var himalayana in a pot but I have no idea how long they take to flower and then of course die.

I've not planted a Caryota urens because they get to full size and flower after 12-20 yrs here and that is too early IMO.

Does anyone know roughly how long this species takes to flower and die? Have any done this in cultivation anywhere? Are they slower or faster than Caryota gigas? I don't think Caryota gigas has set seed in cultivation yet-I could be wrong though.

Any thoughts appreciated.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

No one knows?????

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I take it the jury is out to lunch???????

I thought that C maxima and C urens were the same or at least very closely related.  Maybe a caryota expert might chime in.  I just planted a C urens almost 2 years ago and has put on over 5ft of trunk since then, don't want to look at removing it in only 10-12 years. I hope it lasts longer than that.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I'm not sure who coined the variety "Himalaya" (same as 'Himalayana'?), but I doubt it's been around for more than ten years, let alone 15-20 years.  Most likely, nobody has a palm identified as C. maxima "Himalaya" that's yet expired of old age.  There was a good discussion a few years back on the forum, and I re-collect that palms sold as C. urens in California were in fact C. maxima "Himalaya".  True C. urens are supposedly rare in cultivation, looking more like a C. obtusa than C. maxima or C. ochlandra.  Unfortunately, people with this miss-identified C. urens aren't going to contribute their experience since they're probably not aware they actually have this palm.

I've planted out several of these plus "solitare", "mystery", and C. obtusa "Indian form". They're only little guys now, so I guess we'll have to wait 15-20 years.  But since I live in Florida, where Caryota die young, it's probably irrelavent to you anyways.

Central Florida, 28.42N 81.18W, Elev. 14m

Zone 9b

Summers 33/22C, Winters 22/10C Record Low -7C

Rain 6cm - 17cm/month with wet summers 122cm annually

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like what I may have is common C urens which isn't urens at all. I think I'll plant another gigas. I like the look of gigas  leaflets more and it will probably take 30 or 40 yrs to fruit and die. C maxima himalayana will probably die in 15-20 yrs in my climate.

regards

Tyrone