IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Randy Decker in accident...

John Case

Time to buy a Vespa for you Randy. I'm just glad you survived, I look dreadful in black

Love from Peachy and furbabies.

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Dude! ..... glad your ok ..... heal well....guess you will be on palmtalk quite a bit now that you will have some time on your hands. Take care!

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Randy,

Good to hear it wasn't more serious! Get well soon and live life your way. :)

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Heal up quickly & get back out there.

-Randy

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I want to express the warmth in my heart your kind comments generated! I get my cast off next week. I will post a thread about my adventure when I can type w/o heavy cast on both forearms.

Thanks again for the support you are giving me,

Randy

test

Wow that was fast!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Randy, never met you, but we are brothers in palm armament.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Randy is like a hummingbird, his metabolism is like 5 times faster than the average human.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Randy do tell us, how are you knitting?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Randy,

Glad to read you are on the mend. Get well fast. Your palms, cycads and succulents need you bro!

Keeping you in my prayers,

Adam

• Upvote 1

screaming obscenities out the window in support

• 4 weeks later...

Randy, how are you knitting?

(Are you all "knat?" :))

Just yesterday we were on the highway and saw a biker in one of the lanes and I said to my husband that I wondered how you are doing Randy. Didn't remember seeing an update recently and now see I'm not the only one thinking about you today.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Once the pain meds are gone and physical therapy begins things can get tough. But attitude is everything and it looks like Randy had that covered.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

given the posts he just made, he seems to be doing well....selling expensive cycads!

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Hi my friends,

It's been 6 weeks since my motorcycle accident. During that time I have enjoyed incredible support from friends and family! Also I have been healing quite rapidly. All the bruising in the pics has disappeared. Broken bones are mending nicely.

The broken bones list: Left arm one bone broke, right arm both bones broke, left collar bone broke in the middle and where it connects to the sternum, and one rib on my left side broke.

I have steel plates with screws holding my three broken forearm bones together. The rest of the breaks heal on their own.

The accident: I finished going thru a typical busy city intersection with shopping center on all four corners. About 70 feet past the intersection I was cut off and jumped the curb with my bike, according to witnesses I stayed on the bike while landing on a grass medium then I hit a second curb that launched me off my bike. I landed about 25 feet from that curb behind a ladies car as she was pumping gas!

I remember nothing about the accident. My memory kicks in in the Emergency Room when they moved me from the ambulance gurney to the ER's.

In California we are only required to wear half dome helmets to ride. I think it's crazy to ride without all the safety gear available!!!

I had on at the time of the accident: Shoei full faced helmet, leather jacket with armor and padding, very nice leather gloves with armor, Leather chaps and boots. All was destroyed by the accident or by the EMT's cutting the gear off of me! There was no luck with my fast recovery, it was the gear I was wearing that saved me!

Thanks again for your support!

Randy

PS; I plan on riding my Harley in my avatar this weekend!!!

test

Randy,

Glad to hear you're on the mend.....

• Upvote 1

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

The worst, most rude drivers I've ever encountered was in Florida. I was never let in to a lane, never. People here can be just like that but there's a lot of cool people too, who spread goodwill on the roadways.

Seems most Floridians consider driving a competitive sport.

Often you can fake other drivers out by putting on a turn signal & they'l quickly change lanes fearing you'll get ahead..and they get out of your way

I think this is the thing that I hate most about driving in Florida. If I need to get out of the middle lane to make a turn, and I turn my signal on to get into the (empty) lane where I need to turn, the car behind me quickly speeds into that lane to prevent me from getting in. I never understand why people do that!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thank god you had the protection on you did. Quite the harrowing tale and sure you shocked that woman pumping gas! Glad to hear you are doing well and ready to ride again. Stay safe and well.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Donno what it is about florida drivers.

Wouldn't even pull over for an ambulance with lights flashing.

Tijuana, was a bad place to drive.

Bangkok was the worst.

I got clipped by a scooter while I was walking on the sidewalk!

Take care Randy.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Wow Randy, you sure were lucky. I hope you are able to hold the person accountable that cut you off.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

My wrist are still a bit to tender to ride still. :<(

I had a large mug of beer a couple days ago, I had to use both hands to drink from it!

Thanks again for all the kind words!!!

Randy

test