IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Randy Decker in accident...

John Case

I just heard that one of own, Randy Decker, was in a traffic accident yesterday. Multiple broken bones, but he is home recuperating.

Please send him your regards,

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Oh no. I'm assuming on his motorcycle? I'll give him a call.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

All,

I neglected to give you his ID...yachtingone....

Thanks,

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

There are two kinds of motorcycle riders: those that put their bikes down, and those that do.

If he is at home, that means he is fortunate. Hope nothing is long lasting, injury wise...

• Upvote 1

Left turn blinker on...right turn. Flesh & bone no match for metal...it wins every time. Cell phone drivers only making it worse.

The lucky ones have their bikes stolen.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

He is home and apparently semi-operational....he posted a couple on Facebook........

John Case

Brentwood CA

I spoke with him today. He wanted me to let you know he's ok, if you call many bones broke in both arms, broken clavicle, massive bruising, etc. He said his gear saved him with all that leather and hard shell pads. He won't know what happened until he gets the police report because he only remembers waking up in the ER, no recollection of the accident or what lead up to it. He's lucky to be alive.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I am an invalid for now. No useable arms. A dozen broken bones. I was cut out of all of my gear and clothing. I lost consciousness during the accident. I regained consciousness at the ER about an hour after the crash. All of my gear and clothing has to be replaced. I will heal to ride again! I will know more tomorrow when I pick up my bike and police report. You will see some shocking pics of me, my bike and gear tomorrow. I will ride again soon to live life on my terms!!! Not you naysayers...

Randy

test

Left turn blinker on...right turn. Flesh & bone no match for metal...it wins every time. Cell phone drivers only making it worse.

The lucky ones have their bikes stolen.

IF YOU STEAL MY BIKE I BREAK YOUR LEGS! lOL I CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE AGAIN!!!

test

Wow, thank God you are still with us. Glad to hear you were wearing gear. I ride a lot also, but since moving to Florida it scares me as some people here drive like idiots. I rode my bike from my home in the Chicago suburbs to downtown to work at times and never bothered me, but here in Florida, not so much. Actually this past Saturday we were almost involved in a very bad accident near our home in the car, we were literally a few inches away from a not being here anymore. People in Florida are always in a hurry and have no patience.

Again glad you are ok, and yes get back on the bike as there is nothing like riding! Stay away from those cages.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Glad you're still with us, buddy. Ride on.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You have inspired me!

Keep riding.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm happy you're okay Randy. It's a real bummer your bike and gear are damaged but most important you will ride again.

Randy,

I'm glad to hear your doing much better than is sounded. Press on for a speedy recovery.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The worst, most rude drivers I've ever encountered was in Florida. I was never let in to a lane, never. People here can be just like that but there's a lot of cool people too, who spread goodwill on the roadways.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I am an invalid for now. No useable arms. A dozen broken bones. I was cut out of all of my gear and clothing. I lost consciousness during the accident. I regained consciousness at the ER about an hour after the crash. All of my gear and clothing has to be replaced. I will heal to ride again! I will know more tomorrow when I pick up my bike and police report. You will see some shocking pics of me, my bike and gear tomorrow. I will ride again soon to live life on my terms!!! Not you naysayers...

Randy

You are very lucky to be able to choose what to do with your life tomorrow, next week, next month. Not everyone who has an accident on a bike has that chance. People will respect you whether you ride again or not. Take your time and recover completely, see what the police report says. If I had to guess, the driver of a car "didn't see" you. That is out of your control, and can happen again and again. You can do everything right, and still get hurt. Glad you were wearing good gear. Take it easy.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Glad to hear you're OK Randy...here's to a speedy recovery!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The worst, most rude drivers I've ever encountered was in Florida. I was never let in to a lane, never. People here can be just like that but there's a lot of cool people too, who spread goodwill on the roadways.

No offense, but no one likes tourists on the road--even the best drivers can look stupid when they don't know where they are going...

My father almost died on his motorcycle; a guy clipped him and dragged him half a block and never stopped. Thankfully someone got his information and his license was taken away from him. To this day my dad gets calls to allow this man to get his license back, but my dad says 'NO' every time. Everyone makes mistakes, but never hit and run! That is inexcusable.

i agree!! But they are all transplants from the northeast.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

And we still hope Randy knits quick!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

No offense, but no one likes tourists on the road--even the best drivers can look stupid when they don't know where they are going...

My father almost died on his motorcycle; a guy clipped him and dragged him half a block and never stopped. Thankfully someone got his information and his license was taken away from him. To this day my dad gets calls to allow this man to get his license back, but my dad says 'NO' every time. Everyone makes mistakes, but never hit and run! That is inexcusable.

And you haven't lived till you're a business traveler (tourist) on the road in Cali, in an unfamiliar rental car, in the dark, in the middle of 2 merging 5 lane interstates, and you discover the that LANE SHARING is legal there. I am a tough old bird, but after that experience, thankfully I took out no one, except for myself, sanity wise.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

And you haven't lived till you're a business traveler (tourist) on the road in Cali, in an unfamiliar rental car, in the dark, in the middle of 2 merging 5 lane interstates, and you discover the that LANE SHARING is legal in there. I am a tough old bird, but after that experience, thankfully I took out no one, except for myself, sanity wise.

I've been here so long I forgot all about lane sharing.

HERE'S A LINK FOR A NEW DISCUSSION ABOUT THAT TOPIC: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/44968-lane-sharing-for-motorcycles/

Yeah, Keith, I remember the first time I experienced it, almost 30 years ago. No one died, thanks in large part to my quick reflexes. :bemused:

Lane sharing is a misnomer: some think the lane is theirs and theirs alone . . . . :rant: (I do watch, and sometimes people go too fast.)

California is the ONLY U.S. State where it's legal.

It's where you ride your motorcycle on the white line between lanes in traffic.

post-208-0-11019900-1424716103_thumb.jpg

I am very sorry you had this accident Randy :( But I am glad it wasn't more serious and it's great to see you fast on yur way to recovey and with an attitude! :) Keep going strong!!!

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Hurts just looking at your pics, can't imagine how you're feeling. Are you able to get any sleep?

Well wanted to say glad you are here with us still and feel up to telling us about it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Seems most Floridians consider driving a competitive sport.

Often you can fake other drivers out by putting on a turn signal & they'l quickly change lanes fearing you'll get ahead..and they get out of your way

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Often you can fake other drivers out by putting on a turn signal & they'l quickly change lanes fearing you'll get ahead..and they get out of your way

Most Florida drivers do not know what a turn signal is! I have been to a lot of places including China and China definitely has the worst drivers but Florida is a close second.

Most Florida drivers do not know what a turn signal is! I have been to a lot of places including China and China definitely has the worst drivers but Florida is a close second.

Ever been to India. Not only do they not know what a turn signal is, they don't even know what a lane is. Sidewalks, everywhere is fair game.

How about this intersection in Ethiopia...no lights or lanes

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Yep, just like China, it is total chaos, I was told by my driver there that they do not have traffic rules, just suggestions! :yay: Everyday I would see at least one or two scooters down as a car hit them. And yes they do drive on the sidewalks!

How about this intersection in Ethiopia...no lights or lanes

That's obviously speeded up. :interesting: But, hair-raising nevertheless.

Still, hard to imagine here. Traffic is light in that Addis Ababa intersection, relatively speaking.

If that were the intersection of, say, Imperial Highway and Beach Boulevard (in the little village of La Habra), the roadway would be filled with cars on all four sides. Without a signal, you'd have to have a traffic cop, better a team of them. If any could be found who are brave or crazy enough.

And La Habra doesn't even come close to comparing to the intersection of say, Wilshire and Westwood on the West Side of LA. (I'll bet those PT-ers who live there can come up with even better - worse - examples.) Wall to wall cars, especially on Wilshire. There'd be gridlock.

When I went to visit mid-east some 30 years ago, it was mentioned that driving instructors don't need a second set of brake pedals or a steering wheel. They just need another horn.

In the third world there is one thing you will seldom see - a traffic accident. Like ants marching, there is a hidden order to the chaos we Westeners just don't pick on at first.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Randy, we still hope you knit quick!

Get Well soon Randy.. My bro almost bought the farm on his Harley 5 years ago and was in the hospital 2 months to prove it! He still rides today and doesn't really remember the single rider accident or Half or more of his hospital stay.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Turn indicators ? - we don't need no stinking turn signal indicators ...

The South Florida influence

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B