IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Buccaneer Palm Seeds

NatureGirl

Any interest in Pseudophoenix sargentii seeds this year? Mine were all eaten by squirrels, but a friend has some ripe ones that I can go get if anyone is interested . I believe they are the variety 'navassana'. Bigger thicker trunk, but she doesn't really know.

If I get them, they will be around $15/100.

Thanks

PM or Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Just a heads up, navassana has a very thin trunk for Pseudophoenix. Here's a pretty typical example.

post-3598-0-52390700-1424272763_thumb.jp

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Well maybe they are variable, but I can tell you I have 2 mature P. sergeant var. navassana planted and 2 regular and the 'navassanas' have very big trunks, especially at the bottom then taper as they grow. They are also more robust, and faster growing. Here's mine

post-267-0-25614000-1424276268_thumb.jpg

Well maybe they are variable, but I can tell you I have 2 mature P. sergeant var. navassana planted and 2 regular and the 'navassanas' have very big trunks, especially at the bottom then taper as they grow. They are also more robust, and faster growing. Here's mine

That is sergentii right?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Zeeth the palm you posted above; I believe is a guasia priceps if im not mistaken. That palm is in the kopsick which I know almost like the back of my hand. I was waiting on that seed but the squirrels got it all.

The G. princeps is over closer the oil palm and Corypha, this is 100% a Pseudophoenix, it's closer to the shaded Beccariophoenix. There used to be another Pseudophoenix near it that was always stunted.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Zeeth the palm you posted above; I believe is a guasia priceps if im not mistaken. That palm is in the kopsick which I know almost like the back of my hand. I was waiting on that seed but the squirrels got it all.

You are wrong. Zeeth is right.

Your palm looks supremely healthy but I believe Ken is right--looks like the regular sargentii. If I am not mistaken, navassana is more bluish in color and thinner in the trunk than your beast is--that, and navassana has wider spacing on the rings, due to it being a faster grower. I prefer what is becoming the more rare form--the regular sargentii, but both are indeed nice!

Yeah, I'll get a pic of the palm in my backyard I received as P. sargentii var. navassana and post tomorrow. It's a real beast, large, robust, much faster growing, etc. Seedlings look different(more silver) than regular form and are faster growing as well. But I can't say for sure what variety of P. sargentii my friend has. And the seeds are from her tree this year. But I can tell you it is rather robust as well.

She does. Maybe she got a little busy.

She does not, even after seing this. I think there are rules about how to behave here...
  • Upvote 1

Rafael, I have no PM's or emails from you. Please re-send. It's possible I accidentally deleted, sometimes I get click-er happy :)

Here is a pic in my backyard. P. sargentii on left. P. sargentii v. navassana on right (as I received them)

post-267-0-70070500-1424544793_thumb.jpg

Got the first infructescence down this weekend. Seeds are $15/100 Including US Shipping.

Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com or send PM

Thanks

Rafael, I have no PM's or emails from you. Please re-send. It's possible I accidentally deleted, sometimes I get click-er happy :)

Here is a pic in my backyard. P. sargentii on left. P. sargentii v. navassana on right (as I received them)

Something is not quite right there.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Ken, feel free to elaborate......

Also, it should be noted that the Buc on the left was planted many many yrs earlier than the one on the right, so you can't compare their age.

Also, it should be noted that the Buc on the left was planted many many yrs earlier than the one on the right, so you can't compare their age.

Here is a story everyone might enjoy.

Stanly Kiem (still alive) told me a story about how he climbed a rope ladder after riding with a coast guard antenna maintenance crew to access the Pseudophoenix growing on Navasau Island and how he plucked a few seedlings and put them in his shirt pocket and brought them back to Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens and planted them. That happened about 50 years ago or more and the palms ( some of them) are still alive.

The ones I saw growing from that batch were MUCH THINNER than sergentii. They had much larger spaces on the trunk between leaves. They carried their leaves at a different angle and with different proportions than sergentii too. There are many other phenotypic differences but alas most botanist agree this is just a "form" of sergentii.

I would imagine that the seed for your palms did not come from Navasau and if they cam from a garden that had sergentii growing too it MAY be a hybrid but yours looks like sergentii to me. Both of them.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Ken that sounds interesting. But I can say without a doubt, that the larger trunked palms when grown from seed are much faster and more robust with longer leaves, and silvery color when 1-3 gal size, etc. I have grow both from seed many times. Yes, possibly a hybrid, but aren't we all at the mercy of what someone sells you a palm labeled as one thing or another? At any rate, I appreciate the info. And as a reminder, the seeds are 'not' from my palms this year but a friends' and they are the large trunked variety.(whatever that may be)

Interesting thread. Yes we are all at the "mercy of the label" of what is sold to us and the feedback from experienced forum members is invaluable in trying to identify what we are ultimately growing, so thanks for the opinions in this thread and others.

Sellers like Nature Girl are highly appriciated but fall under the same "mercy of the label" when we buy seeds from them. That said, I have bought many seeds from Nature Girl and have always been extremely pleased with the product, service and price. Some of my most valued plants on my property came from her seed. Whatever the true Id of these seeds are, Im glad they are available for sale and that forum members give opinions on what they are. This is a great thread and I hopefully it motivates more forum members to not only to share their knowledge but also make seeds available.

Best regards

Brian

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Thanks Brian for the nice words.

Ok, here is the last Buccaneer palm in the yard, which somewhat fits Ken's description. The leaves are a bit more twisted than the others and it has by far the slimmest trunk. However, the spaces are very close together compared to the others. I also want to add that this is the slowest of them. Same age as the fat trunked palm on the right in upper pic.

post-267-0-53107100-1424786091_thumb.jpg

post-267-0-87795000-1424786135_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I might post this question as a topic of its own: does anyone have pictures of buccaneer palms (Pseudophoenix sargentii) in habitiat in Florida? (I believe they're restricted to two or three of the Upper Keys, though I don't know whether that was the historical situation.) I'm espcially intersted in both current photos of the remaining stands in habitat; I'm also interested in any photos of stands of in Florida habitat as they existed in the past (if any such photos exist).