IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Magnificent U-Dig Palms For Sale

palmislandRandy

As some of you know, my house is sold & I'm afraid these are available. They are U-Digs & beautiful! These are all in ground, Boca Raton, Florida & easy to dig. I may have a few others also. These MUST be removed by Feb 27th.

1-Dypsis prestoniana $600 OBO

1-Dypsis carlsmithii $200 OBO

2-Chambeyronia houilou $300 ea OBO

1-Rhopaloblaste augustii $200 OBO

Send me PM or my cell (954) 292-3095 C'mon make an offer!

-Randy

post-1035-0-46298000-1423675728_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-46618100-1423675736_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-82981400-1423675744_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-77021300-1423675752_thumb.jp

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I saw these palms this morning. All are in exceptional perfect condition and would transplant just fine. Nice sandy Boca Raton soil - easy digging too. Unfortunately I simply don't have the room to take advantage of these bargains. The Dypsis prestoniana is one of the largest in South Florida, its way past the worrying stage - you won't find a larger one available.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Dig out date changed to "by Feb 25th" Where are you going to find rare specimen these palms in these sizes??? Instant gratification :mrlooney:. I'm open to all offers also, even partial credit for future purchases. You may even be able to talk me out of the stuff I've already potted.

My plans were to buy a new house & transplant these, but with the quick sale & closing of my house, I'll have to rent until I can find the perfect home & land. Now I can jump on a foreclosure when I find right one!

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I'm sure Randy could be talked out of a Dypsis onilensis 'weeping leaf form' that's flowering. He is sitting on the fence about taking that one. Simply way too many palms to get moved for one guy to deal with ... Palm Beach and Broward guys should give him a call - there are other really cool looking palms.

Dig out date changed to "by Feb 25th" Where are you going to find rare specimen these palms in these sizes??? Instant gratification :mrlooney:. I'm open to all offers also, even partial credit for future purchases. You may even be able to talk me out of the stuff I've already potted.

My plans were to buy a new house & transplant these, but with the quick sale & closing of my house, I'll have to rent until I can find the perfect home & land. Now I can jump on a foreclosure when I find right one!

-Randy

I'm glad to read this post, I thought you had given up the hobby but it seems you are just looking for a better place to practice the hobby.... Nice one

• Upvote 1

Randy's old place was not large...he made his decisions wisely to best use that space.....but I'm afraid removal of those self imposed restrictions will lead to the insanity similar to that I have experienced.

At this point it's more an obsession than a hobby

.and you have how many crotons Randy ?

........and you Moose ?

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Randy, why aren't these going with you? To heck with Dypsis, I'd make sure the Rhopaloblaste made the trip. Their small root systems would make it especially easy to dig.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Randy, why aren't these going with you? To heck with Dypsis, I'd make sure the Rhopaloblaste made the trip. Their small root systems would make it especially easy to dig.

Hey Ray, I'm not leaving whatever I can dig & repot, although some of my larger babies may need a Bobcat to move.

-Randy

Rhopaloblaste augusta

post-1035-0-13506900-1423749681_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-39744200-1423749702_thumb.jp

That one is easy to dig. That same palm would be perfectly content in a 7G container. They have diminutive root systems for their overall size.

Randy's old place was not large...he made his decisions wisely to best use that space.....but I'm afraid removal of those self imposed restrictions will lead to the insanity similar to that I have experienced.

At this point it's more an obsession than a hobby

.and you have how many crotons Randy ?

........and you Moose ?

Randy may have 200 - 250 different cultivars of crotons. I know he has them everywhere growing beneath the palms. During my visit yesterday, I saw about 150 of them potted up for the move. He already moved 60 others to his buddy Ricky's place.

My collection recently surpassed 325, many coming as gifts from Randy over the years.

Ray - don't mean to contradict, but there is absolutely no way a 7 gallon container would work. The largest I have is a 45 gallon, which I offered to Randy, and that may not be sufficient. Look at the hand truck next to the palm, its length is @ 4 ft, this is a really large D prestoniana. Shocked that it has not already been snatched up. I'm sure he's has been getting some calls.

Ray - you have no idea. He has already potted up many, many palms. Others are in the later stages of the root pruning process. He unfortunately will be leaving some amazing palms that could suffer if he moved them. In is inner courtyard next to his pool is a perfect Pelagadoxa that is ready to trunk. Plus the nicest and largest Dypsis utilis I've ever seen. He would literally have to chip out a large portion of the pool deck to get at those.

Ray - don't mean to contradict, but there is absolutely no way a 7 gallon container would work

Randy's Rhopaloblaste must be larger than what it appears to be in the photo. I have a 10 footer (overall) in a 7G. I'll take a photo later so you can see.

How big was the previous lot/garden?

Ray - don't mean to contradict, but there is absolutely no way a 7 gallon container would work

Randy's Rhopaloblaste must be larger than what it appears to be in the photo. I have a 10 footer (overall) in a 7G. I'll take a photo later so you can see.

How big was the previous lot/garden?

This one's about 13 ft overall & I can't imagine squeezing it into a 7 gal

The house I'm selling is 1/3 acre

In any case, some palms are worth the trouble and Rhopaloblaste is one of them. The canopy is absolutely gorgeous in just about all species. I tried R. ceramica but that one is more temperamental in my climate.

In any case, some palms are worth the trouble and Rhopaloblaste is one of them. The canopy is absolutely gorgeous in just about all species. I tried R. ceramica but that one is more temperamental in my climate.

Oh, It's going with me. I have a 25 Gal waiting for it. It'll stay at my friend's house. You never realize just how many plants you have until you dig them out one by one & I'm leaving a lot behind. I had a lot of pots to fill. For those who know the area, I always find assorted pots scattered along #441 in Delray & Boynton, where all the landscape growers are. By chance, I had hoarded a lot of pots & it's tough to pass up a couple of 25's just laying on the side of the road.

Absolutely agree Ray. Of course we all have our biases and preferences (in the eye of the beholder). Plus, when you have nurtured a palm for many years, watching it grow from tiny plant you become attached, even if its not so rare.. Randy has had to manifest a game plan of what he can move,what will have the greatest success being moved and the constraints of their new home..Unfortunately they are not going straight into the ground in the new place, its a temporary relocation. You should see his fabulous Clinostigma (samoense ?) with the stilt roots. He hates leaving that but stilt root palms may not appreciate getting potted up after being in the ground so long.

Alas, this was one of may favorite South Florida gardens to visit.

Randy, if you wanna tempt me with something to trade for a nice Copernicia, let me know--also if you need any help with anything, let me know. One guy to another...

Randy, if you wanna tempt me with something to trade for a nice Copernicia, let me know--also if you need any help with anything, let me know. One guy to another...

Andrew, Call or text me Saturday & I'll let you know what I have.

Anyone want "instant gratification"???? Not much time left.

-Randy

! week to go. I can't believe these are going to be passed up!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I met the new owners & they are thrilled with all the palms. The wife worked at a nursery in Ohio part time & will cherish all the palms I left. I spent 3 hours going over each one with her today while she made notes. Their only plan was to remove some of the bamboos (I really don't blame her) & leave all the existing palms as is! Being only a few miles away, they encouraged me to come by anytime to collect seeds & she'll call me for advice should any need special attention. My worst fear was them plowing everything down & sodding the place. I gave her this website & I think the Society will have a new member! I also have visitation rights.

I did dig & repot all my understory stuff & about 20 others that were digable. I'm leasing a house for a year while i look for a new future home for my garden.

-Randy

• Upvote 3

Randy, overall a fairly happy ending for a what im assuming stressful move. Good luck finding a new place that will fit your needs.

Will

good luck with everything randy

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Well, I met the new owners & they are thrilled with all the palms. The wife worked at a nursery in Ohio part time & will cherish all the palms I left. I spent 3 hours going over each one with her today while she made notes. Their only plan was to remove some of the bamboos (I really don't blame her) & leave all the existing palms as is! Being only a few miles away, they encouraged me to come by anytime to collect seeds & she'll call me for advice should any need special attention. My worst fear was them plowing everything down & sodding the place. I gave her this website & I think the Society will have a new member! I also have visitation rights.

I did dig & repot all my understory stuff & about 20 others that were digable. I'm leasing a house for a year while i look for a new future home for my garden.

-Randy

Sounds good, Randy--still staying in Boca? Sure would love to have someone as cool as you, living further south!

• 1 month later...

As a follow up, I've been back to my ex house a few times to help the new owners. She get's a kick out of seeing the palms on Palmtalk & is fertilizing everything as i advised. I got a call from her this week to see if I wanted the Dypsis onilahensis, heck yeah! I'ts now in a pot on my patio. It was crowding the Coccothrinax alexandri. They gave me first right of refusal on anything they want to remove. They did remove most of the bamboo, something I should have never planted!

-Randy