IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyphophoenix elegans

Richie

This is my Cyphophoenix elegans , not the best pic but she's a beauty . It's seeded a few times , but no luck with germinating them .

Does anyone know what colour the seed is when ripe . Anybody else growing this palm .post-10505-0-51959800-1423555475_thumb.jpost-10505-0-54901800-1423555745_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Great looking Elegans Richie, Ive got an Elegans here that seeds and from a lesson I learnt, dont pick the seeds till they fall to the ground and they will be a purple /black when ready.

Now the lesson I learnt, even when they where purple /black and I was "sure" they where ready for picking ( I didnt wait for them to fall) every seed was still very very attached, so attached it was like they where glued on and Im "positive" that when I forced them off it damaged them.

I gave KKupsch "lots" and he had no germination, I also sent 100s to TNQ Palms and I dont think they germinated for Jan, will have to ask her.

As you would agree Richie, C elegans is a great looking quick growing Ncal palm that is "under used" and has loads of appeal with the strong recurved leaves and blue/grey trunk and grows "best" in Full sun. :)

Heres 2 old pics of 1 here only showing its trunk and when in flower

Pete

post-5709-0-82116400-1423560389_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-04315400-1423560451_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Interesting. My has just begun to flower now and would hope some day to collect a few seeds. But it sounds like this might be an adventure!

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Mine are all bitty babies so far, though nice, robust babies. Maybe seed in 2020?

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I planted my large 5 gal. early last summer and it has been quite steady in partial sun. All of my NewCal palms love my clay soil and have done great all winter.

Like Dave's, mine is a baby at two feet tall and its spear has continued pushing right through the winter.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I have a baby one. Its been in the ground since March 2014. It took the heat and cold very nice. All the other palms I planted wit h this one died with the heat.post-9726-0-37385700-1423591538_thumb.jppost-9726-0-10816200-1423591563_thumb.jp

I have a baby one. Its been in the ground since March 2014. It took the heat and cold very nice. All the other palms I planted wit h this one died with the heat.attachicon.gifIMG_2015021033877.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_2015021044443.jpg

With babies we always can look forward and hope… like a germinating story.

I'll enjoy seeing your update pics of your Cyphophoenix next months. Thanks.

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Richie and Pedro your palm trees are beauties for sure! I knew nothing about this palm before I bought it last year. I just picked it because it had the name "phoenix" in it. I guess I got lucky.

Nice Palm Richie. I am going to try it in Melbourne. Have some sprouts from a recent batch of RPS seed, so will see how they go.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

Great looking C.elegans Richie. I have two that are flowering at home. One of them has been flowering and fruiting for a few years now, but the seeds never fully mature. They split and then fall off whilst still green. They are very tough palms, but they haven't figured out how to reproduce yet!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Richie, that is truly a specimen C. Elegans. :greenthumb::greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

This is a fantastic looking tree! I was growing one for about two years (perhaps 60 cm tall) and it was so slow-growing that I gave it away. Perhaps I had it growing in too much shade, or perhaps it needed time to get its roots established.

Richie, I thought Id better get up on the roof and take a few pics of the "top" of our Elegans to show its "recurved" beauty to "all" that are "keen" to grow Cyphophoenix elegans.

Im not for 1 moment "trying" to overtake or out do as 1 says I do, :) I simply think, the "more pics the better" for Ptalk viewers . :)

My coffee is empty, time to get back out there and I will ring Jan 2day to see how germination went for her.

All best. Pete

post-5709-0-69680300-1423614189_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-51057400-1423614240_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Cheers Guys , anybody that can grow this palm , should grow it because it really is beautiful with it's recurved leaves and the crownshaft gets nice and fat with interesting lines through it . Pete , feel free to post your pics , the more the better , that is why I joined palmtalk , to see lot's of different palm's in various stages from all around the world and to learn from experienced grower's like yourself and others . So post pics of your C. elegans ptalkers .

Pete - your palm is a beaut!

I am experimenting with this one in 9b/10a Norcal. No issues with my seedlings through this winter, with an ultimate low of 30 degrees. Am also impressed with how well this species takes sun at a very young age.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Here is another beauty that is a nice chunky specimen... Not mine.

Been flowering for years but never held onto fruit until it reaches maturity..

Nice palm though!!

post-6412-0-59734900-1423722043_thumb.jppost-6412-0-43960200-1423722172_thumb.jppost-6412-0-01785000-1423722260_thumb.jppost-6412-0-81624100-1423722413_thumb.jp

Nice Palm Richie. I am going to try it in Melbourne. Have some sprouts from a recent batch of RPS seed, so will see how they go.

I also got some of those seeds from RPS recently...how did/do you keep them? and at which temperature?

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)

I'm really liking this palmtree now.

Hey would you guys say these palmtrees are extra thirsty? Mine always seems to need extra water than some of my other palms.

Ken, I bought Cyphophoenix Elegans from Redland Nursery, Homestead -- right in your backyard. You won't need to order seed if they have any left at Redland. If you call and ask to speak with Ellis, he will know what they have in stock.

Nice photos Geoff..that one on the right is nice and stocky. Is the one on the left C.elegans var rosea? :)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 10 months later...

Bump , I just thought I would add an updated photo of my C . elegans . Still no luck with seeds yet , but looks promising again .

IMG_1749.thumb.JPG.7743b9f6f5512cba66a73

• Upvote 5

On February 10, 2015 at 4:28:01 AM, Pedro 65 said:

Great looking Elegans Richie, Ive got an Elegans here that seeds and from a lesson I learnt, dont pick the seeds till they fall to the ground and they will be a purple /black when ready.

Now the lesson I learnt, even when they where purple /black and I was "sure" they where ready for picking ( I didnt wait for them to fall) every seed was still very very attached, so attached it was like they where glued on and Im "positive" that when I forced them off it damaged them.

I gave KKupsch "lots" and he had no germination, I also sent 100s to TNQ Palms and I dont think they germinated for Jan, will have to ask her.

As you would agree Richie, C elegans is a great looking quick growing Ncal palm that is "under used" and has loads of appeal with the strong recurved leaves and blue/grey trunk and grows "best" in Full sun. :)

Heres 2 old pics of 1 here only showing its trunk and when in flower

Pete

post-5709-0-82116400-1423560389_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-04315400-1423560451_thumb.jp

Pedro these are gorgeous palms in your pictures. The flowers are colorful.

7 minutes ago, Richie said:

Bump , I just thought I would add an updated photo of my C . elegans . Still no luck with seeds yet , but looks promising again .

IMG_1749.thumb.JPG.7743b9f6f5512cba66a73

Love the crownshaft looks clean.

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Upvote 1

Here's mine - grown from seedling size and recently transplanted to my new garden.  Not looking at its best; it suffered a bit of shock after the transplant but is now growing nicely.  Awesome palm, as fast and cold tolerant as Chambeyronia if not more so.

IMG_0618.JPG

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

• 2 weeks later...

An old leaf fell off today and revealed another inflorescence . Surely I should get some viable seed from one of these inflo's . IMG_1818.thumb.JPG.a1ac3bb26aa19b7d0ad64IMG_1816.thumb.JPG.6f78f5498cd141b1c983a

• 11 months later...
On Wed Feb 11 2015 07:49:45 GMT+1100, gob1 said:

How arevyours growing roger have planted them out?? Mine are growing just super slow

Slow, but I reckon really worth trying in Melbourne. Have one in the ground that looked "healthy" during winter, and a few seedlings in pots in the glasshouse that didn't have any issues. All RPS seed. Mine is sheltered from wind, both SW and northerlies

Climatic Zone: Vile..