IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Has Anyone Ever Tried This

Alicehunter2000

Has anyone ever tried this as a last ditch effort to heat the bud area of a palm. Looks very cost effective and easy to use.

post-97-0-44181900-1423507428.jpg

For lots of steady heat without a need for electricity, Zippo wins hands-down. It runs uninterrupted for 19 hours on one fill of lighter fluid—perfect for anyone out in the cold all day or night.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I’ve look into those but you need to have the palm totally enclosed in plastic for it to really work. I use candles on small palm before and that works, so can’t see why this wouldn’t work just as good. I can only see this being a good thing for smaller palms.

Hard to beat a good old fashioned incandescent light bulb.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

As others have said it a little bit of a fire hazard and how do you keep it upright was the other thing that didn’t make sense in using it. Nowadays I just wrap my palms when it gets to cold.

Those Zippo's are made to keep in your pocket...no actual flame there...well maybe like an ember...actually don't know other than you can keep them in your pocket without becoming the Burning Man.

I was just thinking about the spear area...you could locate it low and allow the heat to rise up and cover a larger area...of course you would have to wrap the area first to keep it from burning the tree.

Ahhhh, the things the zone pushers will try to keep their babies going ...

Their arch nemesis is coming ... post-1729-0-54096600-1423531036_thumb.jp

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Not for me, I want my zone, I need my zone, my zone is what makes me who I am? LOL. Name that movie.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hmm....military movie? ... I'm stumped.

The thing that makes it possibly better than a light is there is no need for an extension cord.

Hmm....military movie? ... I'm stumped.

The thing that makes it possibly better than a light is there is no need for an extension cord.

Ahhhh, the things the zone pushers will try to keep their babies going ...

Their arch nemesis is coming ... attachicon.gifcold.jpg

You got that right! and a $400 plus electric bill in the winter keeping all the lights on in the palm protection huts!

Star Trek. ...dang ....should have got that one.

Yes the whole protection racket sucks. Problem is all my "cold hardy" stuff planted last summer spear pulled. Looks like another cold blast for the end of week.

Since it doesn't need electricity, that makes it certainly worth a try.

In preparation of the frigid cold Canada is sending us, I think I'm just going to employ the good ol trash can/bin method. I have 2 small C. Radicalis and a C. Microspadix that I'm just going to cover with a trash can and bin. A frost cloth will blow away with the winds we're going to get. If I have time, I might try to stick a few bulbs or Christmas lights at the base to provide some sort of warmth. I have a feeling these next few weeks are going to be brutal. They're projecting a low of 17 on Sunday. So that means it will probably get down to 10 degrees in my infamous cold-sink area. Great. "May the force be with us all". Guess THAT movie!

Cold? What cold?

:mrlooney:

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Jeff, go sip a cocktail under your beautiful D. decipiens and warm California sun......and allow us to wallow in our cold misery in peace. :rant:

• Upvote 2

Jeff, go sip a cocktail under your beautiful D. decipiens and warm California sun......and allow us to wallow in our cold misery in peace. :rant:

LOL - David, the gophers are fornicating in that warm California sun eye balling those D. decipien roots :bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I have one of those and thought about it but didn't think it would produce enough heat at all.

I ran it on methanol instead of the proscribed fluid which makes it about twice as hot but still wouldn't bother

I don't think its as good as a black barrel of water against the north side of the palm with all the leaves tied up.

I don't think its as good as a black barrel of water against the north side of the palm with all the leaves tied up.

Interesting idea......... :hmm: