IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mid Feb Arctic Blast - Fear in your heart

_Keith

The Weather Channel is now forecasting a low of 37 for this coming Friday morning in Cape Coral. Let's hope that does not come true. I am so ready for warmer growing weather. But the good news is this looks like this may be the last cold spell hopefully for the winter.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Can you imagine waking up to two feet of snow? Gulf Coast residents did 120 years ago today.

http://t.co/lSFsh0iHX5

post-1207-0-52850600-1423953576_thumb.pn

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I thought last week the 19th is the night to look for.. And still think so

Edited by enigma99

The Weather Channel is now forecasting a low of 37 for this coming Friday morning in Cape Coral. Let's hope that does not come true. I am so ready for warmer growing weather. But the good news is this looks like this may be the last cold spell hopefully for the winter.

Wow - bet Meg don't even bother taking the palms out of the sun room now

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Just a few hours later the Weather Channel has dropped the temps to 35 for Friday morning here in Cape Coral. This downward stuff has to stop and start going the other way!

Both Orlando airports bottomed out at 41F last night, while as usual, Sanford was several degrees colder, officially 37F. We were at least as cold as the latter reading here in my yard in Winter Park, as my mercury thermometer hit 41F by 10:30 pm (and was 38-39F when I went to bed around 2:30am. I bet we saw 36-37F and I wouldn't doubt there was a bit of patchy frost. Glad I covered many of the palms last night. All this persistent chill couldn't be good for them, even though we are looking at a 10b winter still. The NWS has 36F for Wednesday and Thursday night. This could certainly be adjusted down, but this most recent cold spell was adjusted upward quite a bit a couple days before it arrived. Not even a day in the 50s, let alone 40s, which would be virtually unheard of this late in the "winter". If we had a cloudy day during the cold, it could happen..

The NWS has Cape Coral at 42 Friday morning while the Weather Channel has us at 35, big difference.

• Upvote 1

The NWS has Cape Coral at 42 Friday morning while the Weather Channel has us at 35, big difference.

I'd be inclined to believe the NWS. I highly doubt even we in Orlando will get that low (officially). I would bet you will get to 39-40F though.

Wow - bet Meg don't even bother taking the palms out of the sun room now

Good call!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

NWS has us down to 34F for Friday morning after a 39F for Thurs morning. I will wait to see what influence that southern storm has on our late week weather. PLEASE get this winter thing over. I will be in Calif this long weekend, leaving Fri morning, and cannot really cover or whatever. So, what is tender comes in for the long haul until I get back. I am so sick and tired of winter - and yet New England is just brutal as I complain. We need a nice stretch of warm weather! Anybody, is it coming> Give me hope please! :mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

A lot of bouncing around already regarding morning lows for both Thursday and Friday this week. Won't be surprised if we never dip below 40F. Then again, wouldn't be shocked to see one of the two mornings touch 37-39F right at sunrise. Thankfully, this cold spell looks to move in and out pretty quickly. High back to 73F by Saturday and mainly in the upper 60's and 70's + beyond that. There may be one last gasp of winter to contend with around the 26th but it doesn't look all that fearsome atm. Pretty sure the "anticipated" pattern change begins after that.

AO looks to continue up an impressive looking positive streak, while the NAO stays up. At the same time, PNA is looking to dive south which may signal a wetter pattern returning to California.. While it may not bust the Drought, any amount will help.

-Nathan

Edited by Silas_Sancona
  • Upvote 1

The NWS predicted today's high to be 71 degrees -- but it hit 78 degrees. The NWS is predicting 37-38 degrees Thursday morning and 32 degrees Friday morning for my area. However, our local radio meteorologist is calling for 30 degrees low ground for Friday morning. That's exactly the low he called for a few days ago when I bottomed out at 37.4 degrees. I can only hope the low Friday gets revised upward. My low last winter was 30 degrees in the open. Some foliage got burn on top, but all in all things weren't that bad, and I can accept that.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

Sunday paper is predicting 39 Thur a.m. for Ft. Myers. But if Tampa (120+ miles north) is also to expect 39, then what....? The high Tue for Cape Coral is only ~61, so to avoid a bout of bronchitis I'll have to stay indoors.

Meg

Florida

I'd be inclined to believe the NWS. I highly doubt even we in Orlando will get that low (officially). I would bet you will get to 39-40F though.

Now the Weather Channel and the NWS is agreeing, 36 for a low Friday morning in Cape Coral. So I already put stakes in the ground and ready to cover some things Thursday just in case. Still praying for an upward trend in the forecast.

They are still calling for 34F for my area (West Pasco just north of Tarpon Springs). My hope is they go up just a few degrees. Today was on its way up, up and then.......seabreeze blew in. Temps hit 68F at noon and never went above that despite full sunshine. Already down to 53F as the seabreeze kicked temps to 60F by 6pm. These cold spells are probably going to keep March chilly, because I will get cold winds off the Gulf in the PM. Oh well, just want the whole winter crap over! :mrlooney::sick::asleep:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Here it is waffling around a bit up and down a degree or two, but staying fairly steady with 3 nights now at 35, 32, and 37. It is time for it to be gone, but I am seeing another dip out in the 10 day ranges already. Sure reminiscent of last year in oscillation cycle.

And as Ray stated earlier, these are sucker punch freezes. With these warm weeks pretty much everything is budding out with new tender green growth. Nothing is going to die, but at this point, even the lightest freeze messes up the beauty of spring.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I noticed the same thing Walt. We were supposed to be upper 60s for a high today and instead hit 74F at the airport. On the other hand, the low for tonight is supposed to be 49F (right around average for mid January) and my thermometer already says 46F at around midnight. Both official stations are in the low 50s, however. I really would not be surprised if the low never makes it below 40F at the Orlando Executive Airport later this week, despite the forecast for 36F and 37F. I am happy to have not had to use the ac at all in quite some time. My juniper looks happy :winkie:

We made a trip to Kopsick this evening and it was around 62F. The Jamaican Tall coconuts look okay, but definitely rougher than at the end of summer, as I had seen them before. I suspect this is the case at the end of most winters, due to the relatively low average temperatures.

Kopsick's care takers have added an impressive number of palms and cycads recently. It is really worth a visit if you are in the area.

Welp, I WAS going to vent on here with some colorful explicatives about the impending snow and ice on its way to the midlands of South Carolina... But, I'm glad I calmed down because now it's looking like the ice and snow will stay in the upstate and higher elevations of SC. Whew. I'm not prepared for snow and ice and the weight it would bring on my fragile frost cloths. Next year, several structures will be in store. But that's next year.

You guys are lucky to be holding onto the low 30's... I have a few nights projected into the Teens. Still, with the whipping wind, this cold front is a formidable foe.

From the NWS Tampa Bay....YUCK!

.LONG TERM (TUESDAY NIGHT-SUNDAY)...
A COLD FRONT IS MOVING ACROSS THE PENINSULA OF FLORIDA TUESDAY NIGHT
INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING. GUIDANCE IS CONSISTENT IN SHOWING THE FRONT
EXITING THE AREA ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...WITH COLDER AIR FILTERING
INTO WEST CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST FLORIDA OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
CLEAR SKIES AND DRIER AIR WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO GO FROM CHILLY
WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY MORNING TO FREEZING ACROSS MUCH OF THE
AREA ON THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING. FRIDAY MORNING COULD BE
THE FIRST FREEZE OF THE SEASON FOR MUCH OF THE WESTERN PENINSULA OF
FLORIDA. WE ARE STILL QUITE FAR OUT IN TIME TO BE TOO CONFIDENT IN A
FREEZE FOR PORTIONS OF TAMPA BAY SOUTHWARD...BUT THINGS CONTINUE TO
TREND IN THAT DIRECTION.

This is the Min Temp model GFS for Friday morning. Looks like it will be a close call here in Central FL.

mos_gfs_min_5d.gif

We've hit 70+ degrees here a limited number of times over the past few weeks. For the most part, it's been cooler than normal with frequent trips into the low 40's. That said, this cold snap shouldn't harm much that's not already damaged. Fortunately, it looks like we'll get a decent rain event beforehand which also helps. An early December cold snap, with no preceding rain is much worse than this even with the same predicted lows.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

55.2 this morning.

Future forecast: 44 Thu, 36 Fri, 49 Sat (according to Weather.com)

Meg

Florida

We've hit 70+ degrees here a limited number of times over the past few weeks. For the most part, it's been cooler than normal with frequent trips into the low 40's. That said, this cold snap shouldn't harm much that's not already damaged. Fortunately, it looks like we'll get a decent rain event beforehand which also helps. An early December cold snap, with no preceding rain is much worse than this even with the same predicted lows.

Funny Ray... that said, it hit 76F this afternoon under sunshine! But, I do hope it modifies just a tad. Here I can be okay, or if it gets calm, have some near freezing with frost. Either way, this should be the last threat of the year. We need a break = a week of 75-80F would be just perfect! :sick:

Wed....28

Thur.....30

Sucks! ........... spring growth already started as Keith said.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Ugh!

THU NIGHT...THE HIGH CENTER IS FORECAST WELL TO THE NORTH WITH THE

LOW LVL H9-H8 FLOW STARTING TO TURN TO THE NNE/NE LATE AT NIGHT.

NORTHERLY SFC FLOW SHOULD BE LIGHT ENOUGH TO ALLOW A LARGE LOW TEMP

RANGE FROM THE LOWER 30S FOR THE INTERIOR AND PORTIONS OF THE

VOLUSIA COAST TO MID-UPPER 30S CLOSER TO THE EAST COAST FROM

MELBOURNE SOUTH TO THE TREASURE COAST. TEMPERATURES SHOULD REACH

SOME OF THE COLDEST READINGS THIS SEASON WITH A POSSIBLE FREEZE

ACROSS INTERIOR AND NORTHERN PORTIONS OF EAST CENTRAL FL.

Ugh!

THU NIGHT...THE HIGH CENTER IS FORECAST WELL TO THE NORTH WITH THE

LOW LVL H9-H8 FLOW STARTING TO TURN TO THE NNE/NE LATE AT NIGHT.

NORTHERLY SFC FLOW SHOULD BE LIGHT ENOUGH TO ALLOW A LARGE LOW TEMP

RANGE FROM THE LOWER 30S FOR THE INTERIOR AND PORTIONS OF THE

VOLUSIA COAST TO MID-UPPER 30S CLOSER TO THE EAST COAST FROM

MELBOURNE SOUTH TO THE TREASURE COAST. TEMPERATURES SHOULD REACH

SOME OF THE COLDEST READINGS THIS SEASON WITH A POSSIBLE FREEZE

ACROSS INTERIOR AND NORTHERN PORTIONS OF EAST CENTRAL FL.

so much of that zone 11A winter. :/

Brevard County, Fl

I am in Mobile, AL tonight waiting for a near instant 30 degree drop as it roars through. As it was I just about was blown off of the road several times as the strong southerlies came off the Gulf to meet it.

The low this morning in Houston was 66. The front came through at 10am with 15mph winds and now at 7pm it is 42. The low is forecast for upper 30s tonight with the local TV weather man projecting 34 Wed. am.

Ed in Houston

They are still calling for us to stay above freezing. Depending on the winds, and how strong, who knows but so far - 34F/35F seems to the best guess. I'd prefer warmer BUT above freezing is the goal. Since I am flying out Friday I cannot do much of anything, as I will not be here to reverse it. So, fingers crossed. It will be a COLD 2-3 days then rapid warmup with 80F for south Tampa Bay by Sunday. Up and down, up and down! :mrlooney:

Here in Corpus Christi, they are predicting a low this morning (Tuesday) of 39F to 40F, with a high tomorrow of 55F to 56F and a low tomorrow night of 35F to 37F with clear skies. The normal high and low now at the airport (20 miles inland from the Gulf) are 71F and 51F. Here where I live near the Laguna Madre on the east side of town, I figure my low this morning will be about 41F to 42F and tomorrow morning about 39F. Cold for us in mid February. We are supposed to be back in the 70's Thursday, so a very short lived cold front. Needless to say, all 3 of my in ground coconut palms look really bad, since we had almost two straight weeks about a month ago with chilly damp weather in the 40's and 50's. I applied my copper fungicide to them, but at this point I don't know if they are going to make it. It may take until May or June to know.

WU is trending down for Friday AM with a 31F for me, while local forecasts still hold at 34-35F/ This will be a close call! :yay:

NOAA has Indian Harbour Beach at 36 Thu, 37 Fri, 53 Sat.

AVBL GUID SUGGESTS THE FIRST WIDE RANGING LIGHT FREEZE EVENT

THIS SEASON FOR MANY AREAS SOUTH TO AT LEAST LAKE OKEECHOBEE

AND THE INTERIOR AREAS OF THE SPACE AND TREASURE COAST WEST OF

US HIGHWAY ONE. A CLASSIC RADIATION NIGHT IS NOT ANTICIPATED HOWEVER

DUE TO LOCATION OF THE SFC HIGH NORTH OF THE STATE AND...LIGHT

DRAINAGE FLOW IS PRESENTLY INDICATED FOR THE OVERNIGHT PERIOD.

Edited by IHB1979

It's looking like a no frost event which at or just above freezing is a good thing.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Reality came in lower than predictions with 33 coming in at 31 this morning. New predicted low for tomorrow is 30.

Cape Coral forecast for Friday morning:

Weather.com Mostly clear, low 34, winds N at 10-15 mph

NOAA Mostly clear, with a low around 35. North wind 8 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph

Not too bad as long as it does not drop any lower and the wind stays up.

Local news guys saying starting tonight .....33, 28, 27 .....trending lower

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil