IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri v. "cheesemanii" in 15 gallon

Joe palma

Grew these from seed and they are looking extremely nice. Pretty fast too. It's arguable as to which is faster oceana or the cheesemanii.

15 gallon for $100

Also, have some in 5g for $35 and are getting big!

Thanks

-Joe

(760)300-7339

post-347-0-62563500-1423188694_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Grew these from seed and they are looking extremely nice. Pretty fast too. It's arguable as to which is faster oceana or the cheesemanii.

15 gallon for $100

Thanks

-Joe

(760)300-7339

I have one of these from Joe in the ground. They look even better in person.

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

This is one of the palms I got from Joe that I dug from my old yard to bring to the new yard. I agree with Pete, this is a fantastic looking palm, and when it shows its purple/black crown shaft...amazing. Joe has a killer specimen in his collection.

Edited by nachocarl

Carl

Vista, CA

Baueri is the best Rhopie, by far, for most of us. It needs less water and will take a lot more heat than sapidas.

I have about 7 in the ground and the different forms are more interesting than you might think.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I definitely agree w/ you Dave on their ability to handle the heat better than the sapidas.

During our last heat spell (Sept.?), the oceanas had some brown tipping and more and the cheesemaniis,, that were right next to the oceanas, weren't effected at all!

And not to mention they probably are the nicest looking Rhopie.

Thanks for commenting everyone on the cheesemanii's you have gotten from me previously. Think most of you have ones from this same batch (Carl's might not be). Glad they are doing well!

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA

Hey Joe, was wondering if anyone knows how much heat these can take? I planted an oceana last year and died with the heat. I think the palm grew in a greenhouse so I wanted to try a sungrown and see if it did better.

Also I was wondering if you still have Foxtails for sale. I saw a post on Craigslist a while back and wanted to go shopping for palm trees soon.

I have regular baurei that have taken multiple days of 100+ degrees with no issues. In probably 3-4 hours of sun.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I don't think I'm able to grow one here because it gets too hot but I just want to try a sun grown one to see if it does better than the last one I had.

Hey Ben sounds like you get pretty hot over there. I remember we would get over 105 in early summer and the Rhopie and a B. Hapala would burn as if they where getting to much sun but they were in pretty much full shade.

I've never experienced that. They are fine here at 100-105 for consecutive days. I have heard that baurei is more heat tolerant than sapida, however.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I don't think I'm able to grow one here because it gets too hot but I just want to try a sun grown one to see if it does better than the last one I had.

Hey Ben sounds like you get pretty hot over there. I remember we would get over 105 in early summer and the Rhopie and a B. Hapala would burn as if they where getting to much sun but they were in pretty much full shade.

Perhaps they need more water in your climate? Even here, they're fairly thirsty.

Hey Joe, was wondering if anyone knows how much heat these can take? I planted an oceana last year and died with the heat. I think the palm grew in a greenhouse so I wanted to try a sungrown and see if it did better.

Also I was wondering if you still have Foxtails for sale. I saw a post on Craigslist a while back and wanted to go shopping for palm trees soon.

You know I am not sure what the high temp. is that they can handle w/ out getting killed or looking horrible.

We did get over 100 in that last heat spell and my cheesemanii in the yard, in mostly full sun, didn't flinch but I did water everything really good this time.

I do still have those 25g fully CA grown foxtails that I have a sale price on of $195. Only have a few on hand but can get more.

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA

Joe I was wanting to buy smaller foxtails because I need to fit them in a small area. 25g would not do. I was thinking 5 or 10 g.

I think I might be wrong about the Rhopie not being able to handle 105+. I think the B. Hapala would burn at about 107. I think its when we would get over 115 that the Rhopie would look like it was left out to bake in the sun all day.

Joe I was wanting to buy smaller foxtails because I need to fit them in a small area. 25g would not do. I was thinking 5 or 10 g.

I have 5g foxtails, again full CA grown, for $30.

post-347-0-45445700-1423792717_thumb.jpg

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some R. Baueri in Riverside that seem to handle 105 with no problems... they get afternoon shade though...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Nice job Dave :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...
On 6/02/2015, 3:13:05, Joe palma said:

15 gallon for $100

Thanks

-Joe

(760)300-7339

post-347-0-62563500-1423188694_thumb.jpg

Hi Joe

In my experience oceana ( we call them chatham island / pitt island here ) is faster in a cool climate, not a warm one.

baueri ( norfolk or raoul island here ) is just as fast given warmth - in a cool climate they slow down.

On 7/02/2015, 9:32:42, DoomsDave said:

Baueri is the best Rhopie, by far, for most of us. It needs less water and will take a lot more heat than sapidas.

I have about 7 in the ground and the different forms are more interesting than you might think.

Agree.

For SoCal Baueri is the best rhopie - Its also the most tropical looking of all the Nikaus.

On 11/27/2016, 10:53:09, Albey said:

Hi Joe

In my experience oceana ( we call them chatham island / pitt island here ) is faster in a cool climate, not a warm one.

baueri ( norfolk or raoul island here ) is just as fast given warmth - in a cool climate they slow down.

Hi Rod,

Now that you mention it, over the years I have seen some of the Chatham Is. ones grow more during the winter. In fact the one that I planted out from a 20 gallon in 2008 grew during the 2007 freeze. I was very surprised! It was under canopy though and right next to the house.
And they definitely don't take the heat like the baueri.

• Upvote 1

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA