IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spineless Washingtonia robusta?

lagartos

Next to an abandoned hotel here in Río Lagartos, a small fishing village on the northern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico, the palm in the attached photos peeps over a wall. To me it seems in every respect a Washingtonia robusta, except that its petioles are mostly spineless. A few petioles bear one or two large, broad-based spines, but most have no spines at all. The tree is fairly young with a trunk only about 3m tall. Could the spinelessness be because of its young age, or being most of the day in the shade, or is there a spineless cultivar -- or is it not even a Washingtonia robusta? Thanks in advance for any help.

post-12919-0-39050700-1422482697_thumb.j

post-12919-0-76902700-1422482720_thumb.j

post-12919-0-38430600-1422482738_thumb.j

post-12919-0-37871700-1422482769_thumb.j

its a pritchardia pacifica. one of my favorites.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Beautiful palm, thanks for posting.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

No wonder though, why Washies used to be called Pritchardia in the past! :) The perspective of a freshman has always a sort of objectivity and spontaneity

its a pritchardia pacifica. one of my favorites.

Agreed (on both counts).

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

A side by side comparison of Washingtonia and Pritchardia would make the differences very evident. Pritchardia is the winner aethetically by a long shot.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

lagartos!

Welcome to Palm Talk!

More pictures of palms of the Yucatan!

Your pictured palm is a Pritchardia, as Steve and the others have said.

How about some pictures of coconuts, and others you might take for granted?

We'll drool, I promise!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well said Phoenikakias, not everybody has a trained eye to see palms as many of us long time Palmtalkers do.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

not sure what type of Prit that is but it sure looks nice!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24