IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this decent fertilizer for Key West?

robsp2000

I'm at Home Depot and they are selling this for $30 which is $20 cheaper than the palm special I've been using. It's going quick though.

post-7594-0-23900300-1422462123_thumb.jp

post-7594-0-86322500-1422462137_thumb.jp

Personally, I think that the Diamond R Palm Special is a more complete product, and would be worth the extra cost. Not sure where you are buying it locally, but I get their products wholesale.

Something I've learned down here after studying fertilizer a bit (and I'm far from an expert), in the wake of micro deficiencies in some plants, is that you need to pay careful attention to the basis of the fertilizer you're using on our rock. Stay away from anything derived from oxides, as they are only good in peaty or black, acid soils. They lock up in a basic-pH substrate such as our oolitic/coral rock in the Lower Keys. Sulfates are next best and the fertilizer will be available for a couple of days before it gets locked up, so there's a good chance with a time-release that your plants can get access to it. But the best fertilizers for alkaline soils are derived from sucrates, which allow a much longer "availability window" for plants growing in basic substrates. I use Florikan products, specifically one of the Nutricote Advantage products that has sucrates as well as sulfates in its makeup. This is professional-grade fertilizer and most nurseries don't carry it for consumer use, but I have purchased it from Mama's on Rockland Key. You will probably need to spend a little time sorting through the various bags reading the ingredients to make sure you're getting one that is derived at least partially from sucrates. Just stay away from oxides...which for the most part means stay away from Home Depot's cheaper offerings and those meant for generic U.S. distribution (though some of their palm fertilizers are Florida-manufactured and derived from sulfates). And though it's difficult to find, please try to get as low a phosphate (middle number) fertilizer as possible...to be a good steward to our rather delicate environment down here.

And another thing to remember is that even with an acid potting mix, watering with our very basic municipal water supplies quickly shifts the pH upward. I have seen chlorosis and micro deficiencies in plants growing in peat-based media after watering with our municipal water for a short while.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Mediocre at best. It doesn't have Manganese at all, and that's the nutrient that when deficient causes frizzle top. Further, the fact that it has Iron means the chance of a deficiency goes up because the balance of iron to manganese is very important. Also, boron is an essential element that is commonly deficient in calcareous soils of south florida. Finally, Timothy Broschat conducted long-term studies in Ft Lauderdale and published a list of nutrients in the proper proportions and that Home Depot fertilizer clearly wasn't built to this specifications. So, I would fine that blend a poor to very poor rating.

One last thing I'd like to assert. Don't think about fertilizing the palm, think about filling the deficiencies of the soil. Keys soils are fairly poor because they are low in micros because they are really composed of decomposed coral. Only plants adapted to those soils will thrive there, all others will need a good fertilizer, not a cheap one. Spend the extra money and get the Broschat approved formulas.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Same fertilizer burned/ killed everything I put it on. I used it before with no problems but never again! I use Florikan palm special now.

Same fertilizer burned/ killed everything I put it on. I used it before with no problems but never again! I use Florikan palm special now.

Rob - sounds like you were heavy handed with it. That particular formula does release the mineral salts rather rapidly, especially during the rainy and humid times. I was at a palm symposium many years ago when Dr. Tim Broschat was one of the speakers. He said that when using a palm fertilizer that is not time released (or small % time release) , to spread the fertilizer evenly like you were "putting salt on your hamburger". Generally it should be spread 2 foot beyond and 1 foot inside the drip line of the crown.

It is also may be a better practice when using fertilizers that are not timed released to apply less but every 60 days during the growing season. A large porportion of the fertilizer has "melted" in the first 30 days. After 60 days, a large majority of it is now dissolved. You are them mimicking the time release process.

I used Diamond R (Used to be AFEC) for years with the 60 day application schedule with fantastic results. Now I'm a great proponent of time released products. It seems that the even feeding produces better results with the slow feeding of the nutrients are much more available in the root zone.

By the way Rob, did you know there is a croton named Norwood Beauty ?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

The Palm Special down here is made by Diamond. It's $50 for a 50b bag. It's all I used so far for the last 2 and half years. Everything is growing great except for my foxtails. All the new growth is coming out perfect then getting sunburned within a few days after the spear opens (which is full size). I have always applied Manganese and recently soil acidifier but still no luck. Maybe I am watering them too much. I'm running out of ideas with these things. My royals and king palms have had outstanding growth but these foxtails are killing me.

Mediocre at best. It doesn't have Manganese at all, and that's the nutrient that when deficient causes frizzle top. Further, the fact that it has Iron means the chance of a deficiency goes up because the balance of iron to manganese is very important. Also, boron is an essential element that is commonly deficient in calcareous soils of south florida. Finally, Timothy Broschat conducted long-term studies in Ft Lauderdale and published a list of nutrients in the proper proportions and that Home Depot fertilizer clearly wasn't built to this specifications. So, I would fine that blend a poor to very poor rating.

One last thing I'd like to assert. Don't think about fertilizing the palm, think about filling the deficiencies of the soil. Keys soils are fairly poor because they are low in micros because they are really composed of decomposed coral. Only plants adapted to those soils will thrive there, all others will need a good fertilizer, not a cheap one. Spend the extra money and get the Broschat approved formulas.

Tim Broschat also mentioned at the symposium that when it comes to fertilizing palms if that your not going to use a complete formula that has the proper macros and minors - its better not to fertilize at all. Feeding palms with the wrong stuff can cause nutrient imbalances that are more difficult to correct then if the palm was left on its own.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B