IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Making bread with coconut products as a study break in PR

Cindy Adair

So I am trying to catch up on my Spanish class homework and mimic missed classwork by using a voice recorder ap. It is fun but I would still rather be walking my acres on my last day so I have to reward myself occasionally with breaks.

My first was making this bread ( a thrift store bread maker does all the work) and it's ready in one hour after only 5 minutes to put in ingredients and clean up!

Then another break to eat some! Delicious!

Then now to make a PalmTalk post.

The ingredients this time included coconut flour, coconut oil, coconut sugar plus bread flour yeast almond milk and salt. I will gladly share the exact recipe if anyone is interested. This is only a one and a half pound loaf but for one person is the right size.

The coconut chips were not an ingredient but just for a snack for later from the Caguas PR Costco.

So I really don't want to continue making these recordings of my voice trying Spanish until I hear from el profesor that he accepts the format until I can return to class. That's my excuse for calling it quits for the morning and going to play on the farm!

Coconut products:

post-4111-0-87947500-1422193355_thumb.jp

The $10 breadmaker that has been well used this trip!

post-4111-0-01139800-1422193676_thumb.jp

The final product minus a couple of slices I've eaten already. Breakfast was at 4:45 am so I was ready for a snack.

post-4111-0-62809800-1422193832_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Next time you can use coconut milk instead of almond milk to make it a coconut-only bread!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

We were gifted a bread maker of the same size. I have a very slight wheat allergy so don't eat a lot of bread. I'd love the recipe for the coconut bread. I've also thought of trying something with rice flour.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Cindy, coconut bread is delicious and made here in Guatemala in certain areas. I also wanted to comment on the coconut oil. In the city the coconut oil stays hard but, here on the beach, with the warmer temperatures, the oil is always a liquid, and I've been trying it in my coffee. The first time I heard of this I was completely turned off. But the more I drink it the more I like it. It can be blended and even processed in the Bullet if the droplets of oil bother you. The subtle coco flavor is delicious and I think my body enjoys this superfood!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Cindy, coconut bread is delicious and made here in Guatemala in certain areas. I also wanted to comment on the coconut oil. In the city the coconut oil stays hard but, here on the beach, with the warmer temperatures, the oil is always a liquid, and I've been trying it in my coffee. The first time I heard of this I was completely turned off. But the more I drink it the more I like it. It can be blended and even processed in the Bullet if the droplets of oil bother you. The subtle coco flavor is delicious and I think my body enjoys this superfood!

Peter

I will have to try it! Thanks!

Next time you can use coconut milk instead of almond milk to make it a coconut-only bread!

Good idea! I will try this too!

Recipe in next post.

Cindy Adair

Just had a sandwich for lunch since trying to use up food that won't last until my next visit.

Here's the recipe for 1.5 lb. size. The modifications for a two lb. size are in Virginia:

Oh I read that the order matters.

10 ounces of some kind of milk microwaved for 1 minute in Pyrex measuring cup or something similar

Pour into bread pan

Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of some oil or butter(chopped a bit)

2 and 1/2 cups of bread flour (or whatever)

1/4 cup of coconut flour(can't use all coconut flour per the package or it won't rise-I will experiment with adding less white and more wheat and coconut flour in the future)

1/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal- add it raw- the package says it would cook in 1 minute

1 and 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar or honey or whatever

1 tablespoon quick rising yeast for bread makers-shop for the cheapest bottle around $3 in Virginia

Use the rapid bake (1 hour) option as I can't tell any difference with the longer time frame.

Takes me 5 minutes from grabbing first ingredient to pressing the buttons on the machine after wiping any spilled flour and rinsing spoons and cups. Easy and quick!

Good with peanut butter or any other use for white bread.

I use a nice thrift store plastic slicer guide which was well worth the $2 and a nice thrift store bread knife long enough for the slicer guide. Can add chopped nuts, ground flax seed etc to taste.

Last hint: If you have Goodwill stores they may allow returns for 7 days like in Virginia. Due to many gluten sensitive people, many have donated their machines. I wouldn't buy one without the rapid bake option.

Cindy Adair

So I am trying to catch up on my Spanish class homework

I've been curious about the importance of knowing Spanish in PR. Obviously they are Spanish speaking but as a territory of the U.S. do you find that a lot of people speak English? I would love to visit there one day, I am fluent in Spanish but my wife and children are not. If I ever make it there to visit I would really like to see the place, not just the touristy resorts.

P.S. thanks for posting about the coconut bread and recipe, sounds interesting to try

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Lots of Spanglish here which helps me out. Most of the time in person I manage.

Asking ¿ Habla Íngles? goes a long way. Most signs are easy to figure out.

The phone is the hardest and I usually ask my friend Sherry to help.

I know the numbers but only if said slowly. So I can ask the price of something at the agricultural fair but not always understand the answer.

When paying in cash if I just offer about what I think they just make change. Of course with cash registers and credit cards there is no problem.

So socially it is harder but I can converse in Latin names about plants and that will break the ice at plant groups I hope. English is required through high school so typically the higher the educational level the more perfect the English.

I hope with the basics in a college level course now and immersion when I move with help from Sherry I can manage.

Visiting anywhere is not difficult at all and most of my time is in rural areas and it works out with a smile and patience!

Your family would be fine! Walgreens and Hone depot and Pep boys and McDonalds and Sears etc. are the same here as everywhere.

Cindy Adair

Thanks, I'm not a native Spanish speaker so I totally understand what you're going through, I lived in a Spanish speaking country for a good while and that's where I learned. I can tell you that total immersion is the key, you can use your college course to help understand the rules of Spanish and stuff but actually speaking and understanding is all about immersion, good luck!

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

They speak a lot of Spanglish there also. Learn the words....Who, What, Where, When and How.....and a few nouns like bathroom....it will take you a a long way.

Also remember that almost all words ending in "tion" "cion" "sion" are the same...just pronounced a bit different.

See, you just improved your Spanish vocabulary with very minimal effort.

Everyone uses the word "anyway" there....feel free to use it when needed...lol

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thank you for all the Spanish hints! Made it to my second college class ( out of the first 5) and expected to be embarrassed. However I remember something from years ago about a woman not saying she's embarrassed around Latinos as it is close to the word for pregnant!

Anyway, my real life practice in PR plus my reviving memories of lower level Spanish classes decades ago helped me to feel better than average. So I will still have to study all that I missed as out first big test is Monday. My first real test since taking the veterinary boards in 1983, but I think it will be pretty basic.

And I made another larger loaf of coconut bread today in Virginia.

Cindy Adair