IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New car in Puerto Rico

Cindy Adair

Well, there is a thrift store Palm covered pocketbook to add color to one photo but otherwise this thread is completely off topic...

It is however to be my means of transportation indefinitely in Puerto Rico.

My last (joint) new car purchase. (240 volvo station wagon) was in 1992 and that car is now driven by my 18 year old who of course wasn't alive when that car was new.

In Virginia I drive a 1991 volvo 840 station wagon which I bought used and paid cash.

So signing a new car on my credit only with loan payments especially with somewhat different rules in Puerto Rico ( like needing a copy of my birth certificate and an actual copy of my social security card) took a bit of time especially with the dealer an hour away.

It was in my retirement budget since I don't have the time or connections yet in PR to get a used car.

I hope it will last a very long time and does much better on the hills and curves here than my rental cars.

I am renting a storage unit in San Juan until I move and complete the frame of a carport here.

post-4111-0-75841600-1422123657_thumb.jp

At the dealer

post-4111-0-54550000-1422123764_thumb.jp

Finally back at my farm where I have to park across the street on property that technically isn't even mine.

Cindy Adair

Congratulations! Enjoy it!!!!! :)

Nice to drive your own car there now,eh? How do they fare in the tropical, humid setting? Cars in Pygros, which is far rainier in combination with a warm climate than most places in Greece, tend to get rust marks here and there. Nothing major on new technology cars but still, they do get rust spots. And mold on soft top convertibles. And still, rain is just a little more than 1m per year.

Ah, and one funny incident at our house there: opened my desk's cabinet there i hadn't opened for a year maybe, to find everything inside covered with long fungal hyphae....just from the humidity, its indoors and there would be no sign of water around it, just ambient humidity...

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I don't really know how cars fare here but I guess I'll soon find out.

Oh this very minute I am out in my jungle no longer wearing the impractical white pants but old stained khakis. I am sitting in one of my blue chairs after drinking the water and peanut butter crackers I usually remember to carry with me.

Now like most times, a quick stroll to check on one plant ends up with cleaning and pruning and pulling vines and taking pictures...

Good thing all this is my idea of fun!!!!post-4111-0-43599300-1422133217_thumb.jp

Lovely weather at 79 degrees. Did I mention that there are very few mosquitoes here on my farm? Lots of mosquito eating critters I guess.

I do occasionally step on an ant's nest because I am distracted by something, usually trying to take a picture..

Back to my "stroll" and then my Spanish one college class homework that I really don't want to do on vacation. I'm trying to get the professor to give me some credit for class work submitting voice recordings for the graded class conversations I'm missing in Puerto Rico. Otherwise 3 zeros for three missed classes out of the first four may make me switch to auditing rather than hurt my ego with a low course grade!

Well I sure did drift from showing my new car!

Cindy Adair

Haha, its all good fun!!! Must be awesome to be in your jungle!

Cutting on the pleasure for doing homework is never fun. Some things we got to do...and i am here reading Pharmacology.... :bummed:

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Nothing like your own wheels to make you feel at home! Congratulations!

My car in Hawaii can get cranky when it sits for long periods unused. Like the key won't come out of the ignition, or the gear shift won't come out of park. And one time the interior was beginning to turn green with mold! It's a used vehicle, though, so you probably will not have that last problem with a new car. My solution has been to have the caretakers drive it once a month when they do their neighborhood watch drill. Problems solved.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I think my car will be driven every one to two months by someone visiting my farm until I move in 8 months and counting. Hope it can manage ok between visits as it will be in a locked storage garage hours from anyone I know because that's the best airport for now.

I heard a rumor today of Southwest coming to Aguadilla which would be fantastic!

Sounds like you have a good plan with your car.

Cindy Adair

Be sure to leave it unlocked...my rental cars got broken into twice before I wised up and left them open. Never kept anything of value inside but they sure messed up the cars trying to get in. Once in Mayaguez and once in Vieques

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Be sure to leave it unlocked...my rental cars got broken into twice before I wised up and left them open. Never kept anything of value inside but they sure messed up the cars trying to get in. Once in Mayaguez and once in Vieques

Wow! I must have been lucky all these years to have never had any issues here with car damage. However in my supposedly safe neighborhood in Virginia I haven't been so lucky!

You can't fit too many plants in that thing....maybe that's the idea.

Oh, with the back seats down and the hatch open if needed, I can still pack in some good sized plants. You can never have too many?
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Wow, sounds great!

Keep up the travelogue and tale!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The Prii are nice, I've got one.

You can get some serious mpg (60+) with this thing if you do gliding and coasting, especially if you have some terrain to play with and no one behind you - there is some science behind it and takes some practice!

What a pretty colour and it looks easy to park too. I don't drive much now so my big fat Henrietta has not been fed since October and she still has half a tank left. Starts easily though even after 7 or 8 weeks of laying idle. An old Aussie trick to discourage thieves is to leave a snake on the front seat. Maybe a realistic rubber one would also do the trick. Happy motoring

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Back to my still beloved old faithful volvo station wagon tonight for work tomorrow. Snow predicted yet it is 69 degrees F on my porch before dawn in PR.

Thanks also for the snake suggestion. Apparently no poisonous snakes here but an impressive fake one could work anyway!

Of course I am careful to hide anything appealing inside where it can't be seen and hope any thieves will go elsewhere or give up their lives of crime!

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

Congratulations! :) That's a great looking car and I'm sure you'll be very happy with that decision. Having your own set of wheels instead of a rental car will make a big difference. Your own car is like your own little home away from home! And yeah, I'm sure you can get LOTS of palms in there! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Oh, yeah, the more palms the better.

Don't let mere time and space constraints get in the way of palminess.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.