IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix in Brazil

Alberto

Inspired by Frank´s posts about Rhapidophyllum hystrix I decide to show mine. I like this little needle palms! Fifteen are growing here. The seeds came from 3 different sources. They grew relatively fast , specially where well watered.

3 and 4- same palm ( stiffer, dark green collor, wider lealets)

5 and 6 -same palm (round fan, softer light green leaflets)

post-465-0-90502500-1421973482_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-31568200-1421973545_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-05464000-1421973656_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-47166200-1421973753_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-33708200-1421973795_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-34649700-1421973918_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Nice to see our little North Florida native seeing the world....looks like its happy in your climate.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Guess nobody can ever say that I didn't inspire somebody to do something now, LOL! Even if it was just to post a few pictures. Those are some nice Needles, Alberto! Nice to see them flourishing in other parts of the world. I only can grow a very few palms here without protection, so that is one major reason I like it so much. It's one palm I really don't ever worry about. You are right about them liking water. They do best on hillside seeps, from what I've seen. They will grow in low-lying areas that are wet also, but seems like they really like the running water best.

Thanks all ! :) They are +- 8 years old....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!