IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What type of punishment should be handed down to the New England Patriots?

Mandrew968

here is what I believe happened.

balls were left in warm room - high 80s

they come out of room and are handed to ref in locker room

he tests them and it does not register that they are too warm

balls test at 12.5 lb inch

refs hold balls in bag

hour and a half goes by - refs give balls to ball boy a few minutes before game

temp inside ball drops over next hour outside by 40 degree and pressure drops by approx 2 lb

coach and brady state " I know nothing about anyone tampering with balls after ref inspected them"

rule book does not state how warm they can be at time of inspection

if you think i am wrong lets hear your idea .............. :interesting:

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

Then why did the Ravens turn the Colts on to it? Sounds they they noticed something in their game.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

No no no.

There are rules. The parties agreed to abide by them, all along.

Okay! The world will not end. This is, after all, a dopey football game.

But

Resources are gathered. Things are planned. Awards are made. Dopey as it seems . . .

Punishment should follow.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

here is what I believe happened.

balls were left in warm room - high 80s

they come out of room and are handed to ref in locker room

he tests them and it does not register that they are too warm

balls test at 12.5 lb inch

refs hold balls in bag

hour and a half goes by - refs give balls to ball boy a few minutes before game

temp inside ball drops over next hour outside by 40 degree and pressure drops by approx 2 lb

coach and brady state " I know nothing about anyone tampering with balls after ref inspected them"

rule book does not state how warm they can be at time of inspection

if you think i am wrong lets hear your idea .............. :interesting:

Rob, that doesn't explain a lot of things: how come the 12th ball was unaffected? Why were the Colts balls not smelling of fish(there balls were properly inflated)? How come Brady is such a bad liar (he smiles as he lies-saw it during his explanation)? How come other allegations have been made by other teams? How come Brady backtracked on his preference for a deflated ball?

I've tried to stay out of this discussion, but today I have a little time on my hands and here goes. First of all Moose I am Dolphins and Canes fan. But this deflategate is a lot of hot air. Rob is pretty much on the mark. Brady has his ball boys take the footballs that are 11 or 11 1/2 psi and rub them up to Brady's liking...but really what's happening is the friction raises the pressure so when the footballs are given to the refs 5 hours before the game they are "legal". Then over time and in the cold weather the pressure drops and there you go...under inflated footballs just like Brady likes. Brady and Belichick were correct when they said they did nothing wrong. Scuffing up baseballs has gone on since the beginning of time, so why are people getting their panties in a wad when it happens in football too. It's just another press generated content filler; but I did hear yesterday on ESPN radio that it might have been an NFL sting based on an earlier complaint by the Colts. OOOH scary stuff.

Apropos of nothing, in 2006 Brady successfully lobbied the league to let the visiting team bring their own footballs...then staring in 2007 the Patriots led the league every year to date, by a landslide, for the fewest fumbles per carry than any other team. HMMM???

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

This news has even penetrated my football-free world. My take? Athletes cheat. Any of you ever played water polo? OMG, the things that go on underwater!! Okay, there is no money in water polo, nevermind. Just heard about an interview with Lance Armstrong this morning in which he stated, when asked about doping:

"If I was racing in 2015, no, I wouldn't do it again because I don't think you have to," he said.

"If you take me back to 1995, when doping was completely pervasive, I would probably do it again."

Every sport has its cheaters.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The latest of what I heard is there is a video of a New England Patriots employee who took the balls into a bathroom stall for 90 seconds after the referees checked them. Inserting a inflation needle to take a quick pound out of each ball is possible. If this is in fact true, as former Dolphin game announcer Jim 'Mad Dog' Mandich would say "I'm holding it to my nosey and its not smelling so rosey".The plot thickens and the story will not go away. A few whispers about New England forfeiting the game against the Colts have grown a little louder. If the NFL had any ethics about the integrity of their game, they should rule immediately. Too much money involved, ethics will be cast aside. The fact that these Billionaires enjoy an exemption from anti-trust laws for the league needs to be rescinded since they are incapable of doing the right thing in my opinion.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/01/27/patriots-locker-room-attendant-reportedly-focus-deflated-footballs-investigation-nfl/

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/nfl-patriots-attendant/story?id=28496719

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Father-son time sharing is the best. :greenthumb:

Agreed - My son and I love to sit and watch our favorite NFL and College teams. I watched football with my Dad and my grandpa as a yonker as well.

Earth to Funky Town - if its on NPR, then it is news. It may not be news that is of interest to you so there is always the volume control or power ceasing devices that may be a benefit to you.

Nebraska does not have any major professional teams in any sport - so you may not have been exposed to following a team for 40+ years through the good and bad times. Some people are very passionate about their team, obviously it matters to them.

By the way, you gotta wait for some one to die to get Green Bay Packers season tickets. That's only if there are none of the heirs want them.

Moose, we have a professional football team that has a century of history and zealot-like fan-base; the Cornhuskers. They're just a little younger than your NFL players (and they don't get paid as much)...

Oh I'm quite aware of those Cornhuskers. In 1983, Sports Illustrated called them the greatest college football team to ever step onto the field. Orange Bowl, Section X, tears rolling down my face as Ken Calhoun knocks down the two point conversion attempt as time expires. The Miami Hurricanes win (1st National Championship), yeah I love those Cornhuskers. Buy the way, been to Rosenblatt Stadium for the College World Series in Omaha.

Special thanks to the Canes for reciprocity we were able to show in 1994.

Best baseball game I ever watched was Miami v. LSU in the championship game in the early 90s at The Johnny. Bottom of the 9th walk off dinger that landed not far from me and my dad in the outfield bleachers. One of my fondest sports memories.

Yep Skip Bertman was the coach of LSU. He was a longtime assistant to Ron Fraser at UM. He is also a plant guy, used to come into the nursery I was working at frequently back in the 70's. Ended up being the LSU Athletic Director.

Back to Deflate Gate - some humor

I have heard there will be no response if any, until after the super bowl. I also think Roger Goodell is showing cowardice by refusing the NBC interview--he makes $40 million a year, makes all of the other players come out and talk to the reporters(including a Mr. Lynch), yet he can hide away while his bad decisions taint the league, with no one to oversee him? The past commisioner Paul, has basically come out and said he is doing a bad job and only cares about making money. I think it should be Goddell's biggest goal to make the NFL more role model friendly; end the thug stuff and gangster garbage--his product is on prime time when all the families sit down to watch together, and we have knuckleheads grabbing their 'hogs'! Let's hold all of these millionaires to a higher standard!

Only play this if you are an AC/DC music fan...........otherwise it won't make as much sense..........

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Tomorrow is the big day. Traditionally I cheer for the AFC but just can't do it this year. Go Seahawks !

I have heard there will be no response if any, until after the super bowl. I also think Roger Goodell is showing cowardice by refusing the NBC interview--he makes $40 million a year, makes all of the other players come out and talk to the reporters(including a Mr. Lynch), yet he can hide away while his bad decisions taint the league, with no one to oversee him? The past commisioner Paul, has basically come out and said he is doing a bad job and only cares about making money. I think it should be Goddell's biggest goal to make the NFL more role model friendly; end the thug stuff and gangster garbage--his product is on prime time when all the families sit down to watch together, and we have knuckleheads grabbing their 'hogs'! Let's hold all of these millionaires to a higher standard!

Couldn't agree with you more, especially your last sentence. The Seahawks are up by 10 late in the 3rd quarter. Go Seahawks!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Worst choice of teams to cheer for ever. How do you pick between a team coached by Cheat Carroll or the New England Cheatriots? This sucks.

People know what they are, but they continue to watch. The only punishment they would care about would be the ratings going down. They were probably rewarded with the opposite. It sure as hell didn't play on my tv.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

the Pats are wrapped in gold foil for all time now

anything that comes about the doppy ball pressure wont mean jack squat

Edited by trioderob

18 inches to go on second down, with Marshawn Lynch and they call a pass play ?? :badday:

San Francisco, California

Worst call ever--Pete out coached himself there. When everyone is about to get ready to stuff the run, in the middle, let's throw a pass in the thick of it? Why not outside, like just before the half?

And how about the fighting after the interception? I am glad my sons were asleep, because I always tell them grown ups do not fight. Where is Goodell in this show immaturity...

2025601568.jpg

Tebow or not Tebow . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Worst choice of teams to cheer for ever. How do you pick between a team coached by Cheat Carroll or the New England Cheatriots? This sucks.

Them's fighting words. Pete cheated? Prove it. Can't blame him for Reggie Bush being selfish.

By the way, I was at the game last night. Seahawks fans were in a daze. I felt bad for them. So many we talked to actually drove the 1000 miles and had to be at work Tuesday. Thats a long drive to remember what happened.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Them's fighting words. Pete cheated? Prove it. Can't blame him for Reggie Bush being selfish.

By the way, I was at the game last night. Seahawks fans were in a daze. I felt bad for them. So many we talked to actually drove the 1000 miles and had to be at work Tuesday. Thats a long drive to remember what happened.

I don't feel bad for people who go to super bowls.

The Super Bowl rings

10959640_10152594359606892_7607527798284

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros