IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis palm identification - help needed

Palms4Steve

Hi Everyone,

I bought this Dypsis palm in 2010 from a palm nursery in Queensland Australia. It was put in the ground Dec 2010 in Sydney and I've shown a photo of it when first planted. It's now flowering for the first time.

I originally thought this to be Dypsis albofarinosa but now I'm not so sure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

post-10563-0-40108100-1421663409_thumb.j

post-10563-0-29521600-1421663440_thumb.j

post-10563-0-37110500-1421663468_thumb.j

post-10563-0-91528400-1421663490_thumb.j

post-10563-0-20047400-1421663514_thumb.j

post-10563-0-12236600-1421663541_thumb.j

post-10563-0-55349400-1421663563_thumb.j

my guess is Dypsis Onilahensis "droopy form"

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Looks like albofarinosa to me (at least it looks just like mine). Onilahensis has fatter trunks.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Dypsis onilahensis type to me. The leaflets on true Albo are more wispy and you won't see the red at the base of an emerging spear like you do on your palm. Also true Albo leaves don't flop like this. They are ridged at the rachis end and then bend forward the second half giving them a different look.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Dypsis onilahensis type to me. The leaflets on true Albo are more wispy and you won't see the red at the base of an emerging spear like you do on your palm. Also true Albo leaves don't flop like this. They are ridged at the rachis end and then bend forward the second half giving them a different look.

Len, before you write on this, why don't you look at my albo thread? I have the red on mine. Oops--too late! I am certain it's albo--waiting for you to agree... :)

Len, before you write on this, why don't you look at my albo thread? I have the red on mine. Oops--too late! I am certain it's albo--waiting for you to agree... :)
I can't beleive you think your plant is the same as this one. I thought you were better at IDs :)

Your plant looks more Albo and you can see the leaflets and the way they are held on the rachis are as I discribed above on yours. You can see they are ridged and even keeled before they droop.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/40939-dypsis-albofarinosa-in-south-florida/?hl=albofarinosa

I am certainly not changing my guess, but now am doubling down.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Hey! I said my piece, but it's ok--there is an inflorescence, so this should be easy to find out--in the meantime, wanna make it more interesting, Len?? :) I am not putting any stock into the whole leaf looks a certain way. So you are skipping/abandoning your original point about red fuzz??? I really hope you are game for a friendly bet...

Lol, you totally dropped the whole red jargon, and then doubled down :) love it!

Oh, and Dypsis is a genus(that probably will not last) I do not consider myself an expert on--still learning, for sure!

Hey! I said my piece, but it's ok--there is an inflorescence, so this should be easy to find out--in the meantime, wanna make it more interesting, Len?? :) I am not putting any stock into the whole leaf looks a certain way. So you are skipping/abandoning your original point about red fuzz??? I really hope you are game for a friendly bet...

Lol, you totally dropped the whole red jargon, and then doubled down :) love it!

Oh, and Dypsis is a genus(that probably will not last) I do not consider myself an expert on--still learning, for sure!

Andrew, I simply made a *guess* that I feel confident about. If you don't take stock in how a certain leaf looks then throw out nomenclature and description because it is used in every palm species entry. Also, I never mentioned "red fuzz" by the way. And no, I am not abandoning the red emerging spear base comment.

This simply isn't worth the time further as you seem to take this way too personal. So the floor is all yours.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Said it before but worth repeating. A bunch of seed was distributed as albofarinosa that grew into this palm above which is clearly very similar to droopy onilahensis.

I have two different palms that I got as albofarinosa. One is from Floribunda and is pretty much 100% sure to be the real albofarinosa (it was described from Jeff Marcus' plant). It does have some dark coloring at the leaf bases on younger stems, but never really red. The other plant was from seed (probably what RIch is referring to above) and gets the pink/red color at the base. The color on your plant looks more like the latter (seed that is probably not actually albofarinosa) but the trunk is already fatter than albofarinosa with only about 1" showing. Mine isn't as tall as yours so hard for me to say. The trunks on your palm seem way to thin to be the weepy onilahensis to me. I have one of those as well and the trunk is much fatter...actually all three of these plants are growing within 10 feet of each other and they seem to be three different plants as far as I can tell.

So your palm seems a bit unclear to me...if I had to bet I'd say it's probably the 'fake' albofarinosa, especially if rich has seen these at the size of yours.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Steve, Its a pretty palm no matter what it is :):):)

Sunset zone 24

I've always known onillys to have purple/red too. My albo has no color on the crown or the cownshaft bases.

post-5835-0-72880200-1421815010_thumb.jp

Albo

post-5835-0-30047000-1421815191_thumb.jp

Leaf

post-5835-0-39559800-1421815237_thumb.jp

Base

Here's one of my onillies for comparison(sorry for the bad shots it's dark out

post-5835-0-52383900-1421815299_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-13399700-1421815353_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-50647000-1421815389_thumb.jp

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Steve, your a night palm stalker..lol :greenthumb::greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

Andrew, I simply made a *guess* that I feel confident about. If you don't take stock in how a certain leaf looks then throw out nomenclature and description because it is used in every palm species entry. Also, I never mentioned "red fuzz" by the way. And no, I am not abandoning the red emerging spear base comment.

This simply isn't worth the time further as you seem to take this way too personal. So the floor is all yours.

Nothing personal, just amused and feeling as confident as you are--I like that!

I've always known onillys to have purple/red too. My albo has no color on the crown or the cownshaft bases.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Albo

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Leaf

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Base

Here's one of my onillies for comparison(sorry for the bad shots it's dark out

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures Stevetoad, it's much appreciated.

I've taken close up photos of the base of the palm in question.

post-10563-0-49255800-1421924359_thumb.jpost-10563-0-14610400-1421924376_thumb.j

One other thing is that yours seems to have shown really fast growth since planting it. Most of us who at least think we have the real deal, have found them to be really slow, at least for the first few years.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"