IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which Florida Key is the Most Lush?

Alicehunter2000

Been looking at the Florida Keys dreaming of purchasing property down there and noticed that for the most part everything looks a bit rocky and dry. Palms look yellow and not that healthy. I understand that the islands are basically limestone coral rock but I would have thought that things would be a bit more lush and green being so warm. Are any of the islands more densely planted or naturally less alkaline? Pine key looks a bit more green....is the soil any better there?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Interesting side note, I read that Key West is the driest city in Florida with just under 40" a year. It has a tropical savannah climate as opposed to tropical monsoon in Miami. Perhaps the upper keys are wetter and therefore more lush than the lower keys?

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

40" OH PARADISE

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Most lush?

Key West :interesting:

Oh wait wait wait! :bemused:

With greenery :winkie:

I don't think any of them are lush with plants. It was this Rocky Horror Archipelago, just stone, everywhere.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Lol....had to read that twice before I got it

Hmm upper Keys...you might be on to something

Heck, Ill settle for any of the middle keys. Sure beats California's climate :mrlooney:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I saw nothing on the keys that I would really describe as lush. Key West came closest. I guess it is all in the definition of lush. The Mangroves were lush.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I think the upper Keys were indeed more lush during my visit there and 1 or 2(don't remember which) had a tallish forest growing with Thrinax radiata visible from the road mixed in the thick vegetation. Otherwise they were quite bare while they do have a lot of potential! The scenery was serene and life much slower, so for that(and their warmer climate) they are worth it!

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

From what I have noticed over the years, I would say Key West is the most lush, simply because it has the highest population of people and their yards in one densly populated area. Lots of people add top soil and mound up to get their plants off to a faster start. Maybe Tim can come on and add his thoughts.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, that's what I suspected.....too bad it has the people..even though that is what

has increased its lushness factor.

Was thinking of some other places such as Pine Island on the west coast, but it has no beaches. After living up here, don't think the wife would want to go somewhere that wasn't walking distance to some sort of beach. Guess that might be a problem in the Keys as well.

With all the coastline that Florida has it is a shame that there are not more islands that are similar to the Caribbean islands In both topography and geology. South Florida mainland doesn't have that constant ocean breeze of an island....and of course just so many people. Guess everyone is looking for the same thing.

My area up here would be just about perfect if it weren't for those pesky winter months that kill everything tropical.

Lu$h..no question about it Tavernier. But land expensive

Google Coral Shores Hs...you'll be amazed at what more than a few million will buy.

Yes it's rocky...Copernicias ..Pseudophoenix ..Pritchardia will thrive...maybe not too many Dypsis

Tavernier hs

Go south

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

From what I have noticed over the years, I would say Key West is the most lush, simply because it has the highest population of people and their yards in one densly populated area. Lots of people add top soil and mound up to get their plants off to a faster start. Maybe Tim can come on and add his thoughts.

Wow, where do I start? I've lived in the Lower Keys for 16 years now, and with that being said, would not live anywhere else unless it was completely against my will. Out of those 16 years, I have been in the landscape industry for 12 or so. I learn more about plant life with each passing year, and continue to meet collectors and growers alike. The exchange of information is invaluable, particularly when trying to push the limits a bit. We will never be as "lush" as South Florida due to the lack of rainfall, but that's what irrigation and water catchment are for. I can, however, successfully grow more species of palms here than most areas of the country, and never need to be concerned about winters killing off my plants, or even seriously damaging them. The Keys as a whole have varying degrees of greenery depending on the development that has taken place. The climate is basically the same throughout the entire spread. Much can be accomplished by creating raised planting areas, but at the same time, I usually try to create micro-climates with different levels of canopy, sub-canopy, and underplantings. Palms, cycads, aroids, orchids, bromeliads, succulents, amazing fragrant shrubs and trees, crazy tropical fruit trees can all be incorporated into a design for the ultimate desired effect. Caribbean (particularly Copernicia) palms grow faster and more robust than anywhere in the mainland. It is really an extraordinary place with its botanical potential, as well as the overall vibe that the Keys offer. I was living in Lower Sugarloaf (MM 17) for a short period of time, and never would have left if the house hadn't of sold. Check out the Sugarloaf, Cudjoe, and Summerland areas for a bit of a different feel. I also forgot to mention that some of the finest gardens I have ever seen are in both Key West, Cudjoe and Summerland respectfully. One highlights New Caledonia, PNG and rain forest palms on the interior, and hard core Caribbean palms on the outer perimeter. Another boasts what is probably the largest C. ophiopellis in the state, Saribus to er, a monster K. oliviformis, Cyrtostachys renda, and some of the largest Caribbean species I've ever seen, along with tons of crotons. Another is an older garden with massive Pelagodoxa, Mauritiella armata, Itaya, Corypha and Attalea to boot. I would be happy to personally show you some the real highlights of what there is to offer down here botanically. Give it some consideration. We need more plant freaks down here! Hope this gives you a bit more insight to your situation.

Wow! Thanks .....luckily the wife likes plants and gardens too so I'm sure she would enjoy a tour. The girls .... maybe not so much....they will just have to tough it out....will bribe them with a dolphin encounter or jet ski ride...lol.

This is great info, while there are not any immediate plans for purchase, it would be nice to run down there for a few days.

Since you have been down there for years could you give us your impressions of each of the main islands? Both Duck Key and Pine Key have halfway affordable lots.....from a quick search. Noticed, like everywhere, inland lots are a lot more affordable.

Also I understand that saltwater intrusion and high alkalinity are a couple of major factors there....what do you do to offset these things.

Planting smart can offset some of the highly alkaline soils and salt intrusion. I usually install material that I know can take a beating on a coastal exposure (hot sun, brutal wind and salt spray). There is a bit more out there than most people think, including Satakentia, which has proven to be one beautiful, tough beast. Some material just needs a few years to get established and then can be remarkably resilient. Bismarckia is a very good example of this. Any Bizzy that had been planted around 5 years or so before Hurricane Wilma (the one that completely flooded the Keys) didn't miss a beat. Raised planting beds can be the way to go with some of the more acid loving plants, but is not always necessary. Sometimes I dig massive holes, heavily amend the soil, and manipulate the grade with under planting. I do realize that there is risk involved when planting certain species,but it sure is nice to defy the odds.

As far as describing each of the main Keys, I can't be of great help to you there because almost all of my exposure is in the Lower Keys, which I love dearly. You had mentioned Big Pine Key. There is another PalmTalker that is from Big Pine, and he has found ways to get around the Key Deer eating all his plants. The entire island is essentially a preserve, and this is the deer main habitat. I don't think I could deal with it, being that you can't fence in your property to keep big critters out, but some people really love it. Big Pine definitely has a flavor all of its own.

If I'm correct in my thinking, Duck Key is made up primarily of Hawk's Cay resort. The set up isn't all that appealing to me. In the Upper Keys, Islamorada has a good bit going on for it. This is a "village" of island comprised of Matecumbe, Plantation, Taveneir and so on. I don't really know anything about Key Largo because I am always just driving through it. Card Sound Rd. is a cool little jaunt though, with several areas to stop and enjoy the beauty. It would be worth your time to have an extended stay throughout the spread of the Keys to see the differences and similarities that might appeal to you. Let me know when you are thinking of coming down.