IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in the snowmist

SailorBold

Heh heh.. I chuckled a bit when I read 'Snow-mist' on a weather update from my phone. While it is explanatory I have never heard that one before.

The Albuquerque area got a little over an inch of snow overnight.. and we are currently getting some more of this 'snowmist'.. It is currently 34F (+0C).

From the very cold weather we had a couple weeks ago the palms are showing a little stress. Filifera is burning a bit and one of my Butia is a bit off-color.

Do you think I should be worried?.. I hope they are big enough to handle this storm.. I didn't cover anything.

post-8989-0-06606700-1421182992_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-96976600-1421183010_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-71923200-1421183034_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-19426600-1421183053_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-60113300-1421183232_thumb.jp

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Can't say I've ever heard the term "snowmist", either. I think they'll be okay, though. If it makes you feel any better, I protected most of my palms outside with a frost blanket AND heaters during our 4 consecutive nights below freezing. They still look like crap. I guess palms just plain don't like winter time. Good thing is, they'll come back with a vengeance once the weather starts warming up. Frizzled tips for you and I, not so bad. We're almost at the mid-way point of January so we're almost there.

Palms and 'snow mist' what a combo. The palms in the shadow of the block wall must be pretty chilly.

Your temps look like they will climb into the 50's toward the end of the week, so they should be fine.

Thanks for the photos, got chills just looking at them, I remember those days well after all these years.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Damage from previous cold.....wouldn't worry about covering at this point. Wetness in the crown might not be great.....but you live in a desert so any moisture is short lived I would imagine.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Nit picking... but the meteorologist in me could not stay out of this conversation. There is not a such thing as snowmist, but there is snow and mist. Often times AWOS (automated weather sensors) will report snow and mist occurring at the same time.

Example below:

KASE 111732Z 1118/1218 18004KT 2SM -SN BR BKN017 OVC026

-SN stands for Light Snow, BR stands for mist (don't ask why they chose that abbreviation.)

The palms look great though, and I'd bet they all pull through!

Don't sweat it! They should be fine.

Yeah.. Hopefully there wont be any damage that shows up during the growing season.

Can't say I've ever heard the term "snowmist", either. I think they'll be okay, though. If it makes you feel any better, I protected most of my palms outside with a frost blanket AND heaters during our 4 consecutive nights below freezing. They still look like crap. I guess palms just plain don't like winter time. Good thing is, they'll come back with a vengeance once the weather starts warming up. Frizzled tips for you and I, not so bad. We're almost at the mid-way point of January so we're almost there.

Funny right? I hope so... It troubles me because the snow melts quickly and then comes the coldest night when the skies clear.... eeeg.

Im looking forward to spring.. although that means more projects to finish.. :asleep:

Nit picking... but the meteorologist in me could not stay out of this conversation. There is not a such thing as snowmist, but there is snow and mist. Often times AWOS (automated weather sensors) will report snow and mist occurring at the same time.

Example below:

KASE 111732Z 1118/1218 18004KT 2SM -SN BR BKN017 OVC026

-SN stands for Light Snow, BR stands for mist (don't ask why they chose that abbreviation.)

The palms look great though, and I'd bet they all pull through!

Ahhh ok... good to know. I was thinking it meant 'freezing fog' but even then I wasn't sure..

Thanks.. I am keeping an eye out for my plants... and I thank the meteorologist that uses the 3 P's!

Palms and 'snow mist' what a combo. The palms in the shadow of the block wall must be pretty chilly.

Your temps look like they will climb into the 50's toward the end of the week, so they should be fine.

Thanks for the photos, got chills just looking at them, I remember those days well after all these years.

Tim

Yepper, luckily the temperature was just hovering in the 30-38F range.. but for 2 days.. blech....

The official total was 1.8"... Im not sure if there was that much.. that palm near the wall is the Butia hybrid.. which is doing marvelously (compared to filifera...).. that wall gets western sun so it didn't quite melt yet. Warmer days ahead although I wont call the worst of winter over yet.. February can be bruuuutal.

I actually like the snow every year.. just not too much of it.

On the brightside Tim.. you can go hike a volcano and most likely feel like you are in New Mexico!

Wow snow mist.

The only ice that falls from the sky whete I live is hail. Hail shreads and dents everything.

Oh we get that too.. maybe not that bad.. Would you trade for some snowmist?

Damage from previous cold.....wouldn't worry about covering at this point. Wetness in the crown might not be great.....but you live in a desert so any moisture is short lived I would imagine.

That's the thing.. as they say 'beating a dead horse...' but interesting to note that one or two of your freezes are basically equiv. to 20 dry ones.. still fascinating.

Very dry.. I can write words on my calves.. time to get my lotion...

:floor:

Very dry.. I can write words on my calves.. time to get my lotion...

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Your blue palm looks better than mine and I put a bucket over it on the coldest nights. All your palms look good. Hopefully we will sail into spring here shortly. I'll take some seed if they seed! I have some strap filifera that look unfazed so far this winter.