IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weeping Rhapidophyllum hystrix

Bigfish

This is one of the most stunning Rhapidophyllum hystrix palms I have ever seen. It stood out to me in a sea of Needle Palms from 50 feet away. Most Needle Palms have somewhat stiff leaves, but some are slightly lax. This one had leaves like soft ribbons, and every single leaf was like that. In a couple of the pictures, there are other Needles you can see for comparison. There are also some Sabal and Serenoa growing around.

IMG_0074_zpsb9b82036.jpg

IMG_0091_zps97709ff2.jpg

IMG_0092_zpsd8fb4b6b.jpg

IMG_0093_zps7bc51cd4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Sweet! ....... get seeds.....its a winner!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Unfortunately no seeds, but I know where the plant is and will be back.

I can only imagine what a well-cared for palm would look like in cultivation. The world needs more cultivars of Rhapidophyllum hystrix!

I like this shaggy version. Can you imagine that one at 5-6 feet high.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Beautiful waterfall effect

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Jackpot! Hope the seeds come out the same for you.

I just hope it has some seeds the next time I visit it. Even if it does, I think the chances of them coming true from seed are very slim, and you wouldn't know for a few years.

Frank,

Ring Park?

As we discussed, pretty hit and miss (with more misses) on finding seed on any needle.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason, that one is very close to Ring Park! I tend to wander off the trails, LOL.

Yeah the seeds on wild palms had already fallen to the ground and were gone here. Cultivated Needles hold onto their seeds for much longer, which I am pretty sure is a function of their growing conditions. The wild palms are almost always in deep shade and in very moist, humid conditions. The trunks are almost always covered up in leaves and other clutter too, so they probably don't flower as much and if they do, they aren't pollinated. Cultivated palms are tended to better and the trunks kept clear of debris, so they can have more flowers and seeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Awesome Rhapidophyllum. Weeping stems and foliage have always been a favorite of mine. Keep them coming Frank!

• 1 month later...

Beautulf plant!

The weeping is probably from the lack of direct sunlight though...

Hi Jim,

The surrounding Needle Palms all had the same amount of sunlight that this one did, so pretty sure it's a genetic mutation.

Beautulf plant!

The weeping is probably from the lack of direct sunlight though...

Hi Jim,

The surrounding Needle Palms all had the same amount of sunlight that this one did, so pretty sure it's a genetic mutation.

Thats way better than what I said( ;

Really is a gorgous version! hmmm

Rhapidophyllum hystrix -

clara

The hardiest palm on Earth!

Love to send them to folk in Ohio, to grow them outside.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 9 months later...

Beautiful. I'll have to see if I can spot one with leaves like that amongst the 3 gallons at the  local nursery, although they may not show that characteristic yet at that age.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b