IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How much fertilizer to use?

Palmdude

I use an 8-2-12 time release fert with minors on everything in my garden, I just sort of throw handfuls around and things grow well. I guess my question would be, how much fertilizer would you all use on a 3 gallon 1.5 year old seedling for example? I just guesstimate but always wonder what the proper amount would be.

Also, when potting up to a 3 gal for instance, do you put time release fert into your mix and if so how much?

Peace Love and Palms

Rob

I do not know about a proper amount but normally use approx. 2-3 ounces of 12-6-12 regular palm specific fertilizer at least 2-3 times per growing season. I top dress all my newly potted palms presently as well as I never felt like mixing with the soil did as much for the root system as feeding it from the top. Logically I thought why fertilize the bottom third of the pot if the roots are not even there yet to uptake the nutrients? In a soil structure where the CEC is lower then the nutrients will be leached faster (aka predominantly sand).

Yes, I always top dress as well. For plants in the ground I just broadcast by hand. I'm always worried about burning potted palms, I got a bad batch of Lesco palm fert that burned and killed everything I put it on , I think that's what got me nervous, I was cautious as well.

Make sure if your fertilizing a palm in a container that it is a fertilizer formulated for that purpose.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Mayo fertilizer here (they have a few different outlets) locally makes a palm specific formulated by the recommendations of UF IFAS that seems to be a little more well-rounded than Lesco. It is more marketed for us nursery folks but should work fine on any sort of application. I haven't burned any yet with it in containers and I tend to pile it on and close to the palm in the containers.

I use an 8-2-12 time release fert with minors on everything in my garden, I just sort of throw handfuls around and things grow well. I guess my question would be, how much fertilizer would you all use on a 3 gallon 1.5 year old seedling for example? I just guesstimate but always wonder what the proper amount would be.

Also, when potting up to a 3 gal for instance, do you put time release fert into your mix and if so how much?

Peace Love and Palms

Rob

http://www.harrells.com/contact

Mayo fertilizer here (they have a few different outlets) locally makes a palm specific formulated by the recommendations of UF IFAS that seems to be a little more well-rounded than Lesco. It is more marketed for us nursery folks but should work fine on any sort of application. I haven't burned any yet with it in containers and I tend to pile it on and close to the palm in the containers.

Their website doesn't say a whole lot. Do you have a picture of the bag or more specific info.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I use Florikan palm special also more geared towards the nursery folk :) no problem for the potted plants, I've just never taken the time to figure out how much to use so I just guess :) I probably put 2-3 ounces on there in any case :)

Edited by Palmdude

We use a palm product made by Apex that provides recommended application rates for potted palms on the label. The nitrogen content is a little higher than the Florikan product and there are some differences in the minors, but are similar and both are time released. Might give you a ball park idea of the range within which to keep your applications. Hope its helpful - gmp

Apex Palm K label Apex Palm K.pdf

Florikan Palm Special label Florikan 8-2-12.pdf

Thanks Dr. George looks like I'm doing the right thing at 2-3 ounces per container :)

Florikan is an excellent fertilizer, especially for containers. The beauty of its polymer coating is that it releases slowly in the cold season, more rapidly during the hot season. You could even go a little heavier - during our summer, the palms are heavier mineral salt consumers.

But if its not broke, don't fix it - keep doing what works for you.

Their website doesn't say a whole lot. Do you have a picture of the bag or more specific info.

I will see if I can remember to snap a pic of the label this week.