IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mahogany trees

Jimbean

I have seen them grow here in Brevard, however they are listed as a South Florida tree.

How far north can they grow and how much cold can they take?

Brevard County, Fl

A lot of different trees are called "mahogany". I have African Mahogany and Swamp Mahogany growing at my place, and there are many others around.

I think they are half a zone more hardy than coconuts.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I've seen a few younger trees around Orlando. They are recent plantings to about 20 years old. Any earlier ones were wiped out in the 12/89 freeze. They are tender when young but gain hardiness as they age.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Sweitenia Mahogony is a beautiful tree. I have one here in So Cal thats been in the ground for 7 years and I love that tree. IT is completely evergreen and hardy for my area. I would like to get a couple more of them but it is never available for sale.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Sweitenia Mahogony is a beautiful tree. I have one here in So Cal thats been in the ground for 7 years and I love that tree. IT is completely evergreen and hardy for my area. I would like to get a couple more of them but it is never available for sale.

Gary

How about a picture?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Anyone know how cool tolerant African mahogany is? I have some growing well in Sydney 33 deg. south but not sure about when it goes through its first winter..

thanks

Mahogany trees are offered as houseplants here and they are very expensive!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Based on a little bit of reading, it seems that they are at least as intolerant to cold as the West Indies mahogany.

When you say African mahogany, I think you mean Khaya senegalensis.

Brevard County, Fl

My baby came from Darwin. Pretty weed. I'm guessing that they'll do OK in the milder coastal suburbs here, like most tropical trees do. Aren't they very good for withstanding cyclones?

Certainly not the best with cyclones. The come from around the equator in Africa where there aren't any cyclones so haven't evolved with good wind resistence. And a lot also depends on the soil and conditions they're grown in. If they get surface irrigation in a monsoonal climate their root system stays close to the surface. If there's a lot of rock or very hard ground below the roots won't penetrate down very well. They grow tall with a huge spreading canopy acting like a massive sail in windy conditions. They seed prolifically and the nuts are attractive to parrots, particularly the Sulphur-crested White Cockatoos. They fly off with the nuts and break them open in other trees spilling more seed than what they eat. Seedlings come up as thick as lawn everywhere. You can't ring-bark the trees, the bark just grows down and rejoins again. And they drop huge limbs. Every now and then someone is killed by them, or more often houses and cars damaged.

Earlier this year I got rid of a few of mine, still have a few more to go. Posted a thread with pictures on this forum:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/42823-khaya-senegalensis-how-the-mighty-have-fallen/

This is a photo that did the rounds after one of our cyclones a while back.

pt_m_b_mahogany.jpg

• Upvote 1

The African Mahogany is much bigger and faster than the West Indian (Florida) Mahogany, and as Tropicbreeze pointed out, they tend to get blown over in hurricanes/cyclones. Cool photo.

The West Indy Mahog, when well grown, is much stronger and holds up to the winds. After all, it evolved with hurricanes. In South Florida, we have a tip borer beetle that damages the tree, causing it to have weaker branching. If that is corrected by selective pruning, you get a very strong tree.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Heres my transplanted Mahogany Kyaha something or another.. It rooted into the ground a 5 gal and then a 15 gal pot before I dug it a dragged to the back yard to plant.

post-27-0-67998900-1419630776_thumb.jpg

Ficus is doing Okay too

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm a bit worried its too big for my place eventuallly... now I have to decide if I should cut it down... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'd say the West Indian Mahogany is no hardier than Gumbo Limbo (Bursera simaruba). Extended freezes with temps at or below 26F will kill the entire tree.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 3 months later...

I've had a pair of what I believe are West Indies Mahogony in zone 10B and they were stagnant for the better part of a year after transplanting (they were in rough shape when I got them). One day I had a talk with them and mentioned replacing them with something that would show a bit more life and voila! since that time they've shown vigorous growth and one is maturing into a beautiful canopy tree with the other a few feet behind in height.

Having had them for a bit over 2 years now I don't know that I'd choose them over a live oak or even a hickory tree if I had to do it over again. My area is littered with live oaks and I have 6 mid-size hickory trees in my yard and they both seem to grow quite a bit wider than the mahogony trees if canopy/shade is a primary concern. Oddly, I've never seen hickory trees in this area until I purchased this place and I'll admit I was attracted to them from the start.