IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So where does Calif stand Waterwise in the drought measurements?

WestCoastGal

SO WE ARE 1/2 WAY BACK TO NORMAL ????

if so that's killer as the rain season just started

I hope those numbers mean the good news they appear to.

And, that the rain keeps coming.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

As of the last storm, local Bay Area reservoirs are about 1/3 full, up from nearly dry. We are expecting some good rain tonight and tomorrow (over 1.5 inches) and this will continue to improve the results.

The snowpack continues to grow but is behind the curve on yearly averages. One must understand though that major snowstorms early in the season can greatly skew the averages over time. We had one in 1990 (Thanksgiving weekend) where the total annual average snowfall fell in a week (stranding thousands trying to go home, including me!).

We are still early in our rainy season and I am hopeful that we continue to have this particular weather for 3 more months.

It takes 2 consecutive years of sub-average rainfall (my understanding of the definition) to declare drought. It seems that the reversal of the trend would require 2 consecutive years of above average precipitation to end one. Year 1 has just begun. Let's be glad with what we have and continue to conserve and with any hope, have the state come up with a program that does not reward 'special interests'; although I recognize that I am a special interest, just one that does not contribute to politicians.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Heavy rainfall events are not a quick cure for drought. Generally speaking you need many small events over time to recharge aquifers depleted by the drought. Heavy events have a much higher ratio of overland run-off vs infiltration. So, while the rains are great its the kind of rain not the volume that is important.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Heavy rainfall events are not a quick cure for drought. Generally speaking you need many small events over time to recharge aquifers depleted by the drought. Heavy events have a much higher ratio of overland run-off vs infiltration. So, while the rains are great its the kind of rain not the volume that is important.

How about many heavy events. You get the best of both worlds, runoff to fill the reservoirs and plenty of deep penetrating rain for the aquifers.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

As of the last storm, local Bay Area reservoirs are about 1/3 full, up from nearly dry. We are expecting some good rain tonight and tomorrow (over 1.5 inches) and this will continue to improve the results.

The snowpack continues to grow but is behind the curve on yearly averages. One must understand though that major snowstorms early in the season can greatly skew the averages over time. We had one in 1990 (Thanksgiving weekend) where the total annual average snowfall fell in a week (stranding thousands trying to go home, including me!).

We are still early in our rainy season and I am hopeful that we continue to have this particular weather for 3 more months.

It takes 2 consecutive years of sub-average rainfall (my understanding of the definition) to declare drought. It seems that the reversal of the trend would require 2 consecutive years of above average precipitation to end one. Year 1 has just begun. Let's be glad with what we have and continue to conserve and with any hope, have the state come up with a program that does not reward 'special interests'; although I recognize that I am a special interest, just one that does not contribute to politicians.

In a "normal" rainfall year, many reservoirs are filled to capacity before the end of the rainy season and the flood gates have to be opened to release water. One full season of average rainfall can fill reservoirs that are below average. The flood gates just won't need to be opened.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim,

I agree....we are now beginning a transition n weather, hopefully, to more cold storms that deposit the snowpack. Additionally, many cities, such as Brentwood, draw their city water from wells, which are now under pressure as the water table has done much deeper. More rain to help recharge the aquifer is also a welcome state.

Looking forward to record snowfall this help this winter (I hope, I hope,)

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I know in our area they periodically release water from the local reservoirs to replenish the ground water. You can see this happening along open ditches along 101 in Morgan Hill. I don't believe our area gets it's water from the Hetch Hetchy, but from wells instead so these are rather important releases for us. I know that areas of Central California like Nipomo are in this same situation. Wonder where measurements are on wells in these sections of the State.

I know our news channels reported earlier in the season that once the water table drops, the soil collapses (Alvisio I believe was used as an example), and when that happens an influx of water will not raise the soil level again and you'll see foundation issues, drops in roadways, etc. The water districts try to replenish the ground water before this subsidence happens. Tough to do when you are in a severe drought. What I don't get is if we know we are subject to such severe droughts periodically why the State is still pushing for mandatory housing growth in these areas. Conservation only goes so far. Maintaining landscaping is critical to keeping the area from turning into a dust bowl. Marin Country north of San Francisco still has it's redwood growth and is one of the wettest areas in terms of rainfall. The Coastal Ranges along the Santa Cruz coastline also receive large amounts of rainfall, but just over the mountains you'll start to see a stark contrast once rainy season is over as the landscape goes from green to golden dry brown.

BTW KTVU last Friday reported that in the last 18 days of rain according to the Drought Monitor Index, 23% of the State of California has dropped out of the Exceptional rating (highest level). Sounds good but still a long way to go.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

How about many heavy events. You get the best of both worlds, runoff to fill the reservoirs and plenty of deep penetrating rain for the aquifers.

Bonus: You also get awesome landslides!

• 2 weeks later...

still in a bloody drought over here. we need more rain and less cold..

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Nothing in the 10-day...not good

Ben, Looking further out, a juicy storm is expected towards the end of week #2 of January. Right now, the ''My Forecast" site is predicting in excess of an inch of rain and Accuweather's long range has a number of rainy days from mid month on. Let's enjoy the warming trend while it lasts and look forward to rain later this month. Los Altos should be near or above 70F Monday through Thursday and then a slight cooling to the low to mid 60s for several days.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

High pressure is still dominant for the foreseeable future. Although the palms will be happy this is not what we need

• 2 weeks later...

Long term forecast shows maybe a couple of days of showers for Feb and warm temps... March is looking hot. I guess we need to start thinking about conserving even right now

• 4 weeks later...

http://cida.usgs.gov/ca_drought/ <-- great graphic content for the Californian Drought.

NASA Study Finds Increased Risk of Mega-Droughts <--Not looking too good for the rest of us, either...