IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

suffering Chamaedorea tepejilote, indoors

redbeard917

I got the seed for this Chamaedorea tepejilote from a generous Palmtalk member in the freebies section. This plant has lived its entire life in this windowsill and grown well. But it has been losing its older fronds slowly and the problem has gotten worse recently. First pic is from September 13, 2014. Second pic is current.

post-841-0-01787600-1418740665_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-02455700-1418740853_thumb.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

It has always had spots, which I assumed to be fungus, crop up on older fronds. But recently I noticed insects on there too. I don't think they have been there as long as the spot problem, but maybe I didn't notice them. So I looked up spider mites and read they are controlled with neem oil.

post-841-0-47267200-1418741035_thumb.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Maybe it's not a great indoor plant, and would be happier on the front porch, outside? It is too cold here to plant in ground.

This Chamaedorea oblongata has always done well indoors. It is actually in the same room as the tepejilote. It has not suffered the same spot or insect issues. Maybe some species are better suited to the indoor environment?

post-841-0-61273000-1418741283_thumb.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I think its either nutrient deficiency or salt build up. I would leach the soil real real well, leave it outside in some heavy rains(if you still get them this season) or even repot(wash the old soil away from the rootball and pot in fresh, well draining one kept moist/wet) and then fertilize lightly with a complete fertilizer with micronutrients. I find this species to be an especially easy grow outside in Pyrgos. Wherever and if i plant it, even with a few hours of full sun, it asks for nothing and thrives, even unirrigated(though it loves moist soil, it can take it dry as well, especially when it has found water deeper down below). I don't see why this wouldn't be a good indoor species other than that it grows really fast and can hit the ceiling in less than a decade from seed... So not a good long term choice for inside but a really fast and especially nice species(for outdoors or tall interior spaces possible due to height). Mine have seen brief -2,5C undamaged :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Spider mites will suck the life out of a small Chamaedorea very quickly, so act immediately. Clean each leaftet thoroughly, top and bottom, as well as rachis and stem. I would use a systemic as well as the neem oil. A larger pot come spring would help.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

While I can't give specific advice as to what is wrong, don't give up hope yet. I have a tepejilote that I have been growing seasonally indoors for nearly 4 years now, and it does very well indoors. One of my keys to success is actually keeping it in the basement next to windows that let in bright light. The temps down there are consistent and cool, low 60's and the humidity is also much higher down there than upstairs. I just monitor the water and rotate it every week.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

What others said. Also, it would probably benefit from spending the warmer months - above freezing - out on the front porch. Bayer 3-in-1 will take care of any insects and mites. Spray application seems better when the weather is cooler and the palm is actively growing.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

I've found chamaedorea to have differing tolerances to mites and insects. Tepejilote has always been very prone to spider mite attacks in my experience.

What others said. Also, it would probably benefit from spending the warmer months - above freezing - out on the front porch. Bayer 3-in-1 will take care of any insects and mites. Spray application seems better when the weather is cooler and the palm is actively growing.

That should be "...and the palm is NOT actively growing." The granular formula works well when the palm IS actively growing.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Spider mites will suck the life out of a small Chamaedorea very quickly, so act immediately. Clean each leaftet thoroughly, top and bottom, as well as rachis and stem. I would use a systemic as well as the neem oil. A larger pot come spring would help.

Kim nailed it!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Along with everyone else's responses, don't be afraid to put it outside. It will love the humidity. I'm in zone 9B and I've grown tepejilote for several years outdoors year 'round. On the nights of freezes I will just put it in the shed. Mine are still in pots. They are tough. I have not been overly nice to mine and they don't seem to mind.

Leach that soil and get out the bug spray. Good luck!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.