IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My B. alfrediis

John Case

The first photo is of my tallest one planted in 2010.

The next 3 photos are of my 2nd best, 3 shots to provide a little interest.

post-646-0-18359600-1418599436_thumb.jpg

post-646-0-94588800-1418599438_thumb.jpg

post-646-0-06150800-1418599442_thumb.jpg

post-646-0-31569800-1418599445_thumb.jpg

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Looking good John! Let's hope we continue to get lots of rain and our lows stay high!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

great palms!

Good for the cold, might cause a revolution in palmery.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, these palms have survived a 25 degree winter low for each of the past 4 years.......however, as you can see, they do have some protection.

John Case

Brentwood CA

this should be an easy grow for you Nor-Cal peeps!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Josh, on the coast they do not get the cold, but they also do not get the heat that these palms seem to love......all in all, they should be a palm we can grow, but not an easy one,...and definitely slow. The ones a photoed here I got from Jeff Marcus in 2008 as 4 inchers......true, they were the size of what we get from CA growers in 1 gallon pots but there was one thing that has been true for all I have had...

They grow roots....lots of them, I upsize pots when the roots are out the drainholes and I pull out mostly roots and not much soil. They grow much faster once in the ground though; probably due to the sand I have here, which has a lot less nutrients than the planting soil I concoct for them.

As to moving them, they are as tough as nails. You can chop the roots fairly severely and they will come back.

They will do fine until we have one of those 18 degrees freezes that come along every decade or so......

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Looking good John. That is about the size they start to really get fat.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Wow John, 18 degrees every decade or so? That's zone 8b. That's brutal! Your Alfredii look great and you should see substantial growth next summer now that they are the size you've gotten them to.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

18 degree freeze John? Our historic low in Concord - ever - is 24 according to Wikipedia.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben, in 1988 (?) temps in the teens were hit throughout the Bay Area. In Antioch when we were there it hit 17 degrees and you could skate on the pavement (ice skate, that is).

When you talk to some of the veteran palmist up here, that discussion comes up whenever it starts getting cold.

Think of it. In 1988, queen palms were rare and very few people had them.....if we ever get a freeze like that again up here, there will be entire neighborhoods wiped out, actual millions of queen palms killed, along with many others.

I am not a doomsdayist, but it is certainly in the realm of possibilities. Darold speaks with a vivid memory of that winter.

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

I'll believe it when I (hopefully never) see it. Apparently, 1998 is when Concord experienced that historic low of 24.

Ben Rogers

I believe the Oakland Hills Fire in the fall of 1991 was initially fueled in part by many standing, dead Eucalyptus, killed by tough freezes the preceding winter, or the winter before that.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

It was the month of December 1990 when the Bay Area had it's all time record low temperatures and that kind of epic freeze is extremely rare, maybe every 100 years or so but certainly not every decade. I was here in Los Altos then and our official all time record low was 22. What made that freeze unbelievable was its length (over a week) and daytime temperatures in the 30s in parts of the Bay Area. The lowest temperature we've had here since was in 2007 at 26F for a short duration. Much of Southern CA was adversely affected by both freezes as well.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Looks good John

I tried one down here but it would not grow . Although we never get below 30 f in Summer it's just too cool fopr them to put on any substantial growth .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

The first photo is of my tallest one planted in 2010.

The next 3 photos are of my 2nd best, 3 shots to provide a little interest.

Look great John, got'em entered, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Troy,

How cold do you get? They are good to about -5C or so......as long as there is some protection....

John Case

Brentwood CA

I don't think Troy really freezes but not enough heat. Sort of like SF.

Ben Rogers

John, once your B. Alfredii gets to size I think it could handle 22 F and not blink. 2 years ago my friend in valley center SD got down to 19 F and both his 1 gals dint even brown tip. I agree with you that they like heat and speeds up there growth rate considerably. Are you growing beccariophoenix madagascariensis?? This is more cold hardy that previously thought. If not i recommend you give it a go.

Sunset zone 24

Josh,

Watching B. madagascariensis grow is like watching concrete grow out here. I had a couple of them, they survived 2 winters, put up one leaf (between the 2 of them) and died in the 3rd year.

I have many more palms to experiment with (currently Syagrus sancona). I have a lot of experience with b. alfredii and can grow them.....that is goo enough for me. (I have even sold a few I grew to 15 gal size!)

John Case

Brentwood CA

Josh,

Watching B. madagascariensis grow is like watching concrete grow out here. I had a couple of them, they survived 2 winters, put up one leaf (between the 2 of them) and died in the 3rd year.

I have many more palms to experiment with (currently Syagrus sancona). I have a lot of experience with b. alfredii and can grow them.....that is goo enough for me. (I have even sold a few I grew to 15 gal size!)

Mine doubled in size their first year in the ground. They like heat and I don't think they can get too much water.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Josh,

Mine doubled in size their first year in the ground. They like heat and I don't think they can get too much water.

Keith, you nailed it with your comment. Heat + little water = happy

Sunset zone 24

Had to break down and get one....doubtful about the long term prospects....but it was $25...no hollapost-97-0-95362600-1418783045_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-51438700-1418783080_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Had to break down and get one....doubtful about the long term prospects....but it was $25...no hollaattachicon.gif20141216_202036.jpgattachicon.gif20141216_202010.jpg

hey, for that price, I'll take a couple more

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Josh,

Ya mean Heat + LOTS OF WATER= happy.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Josh,

Ya mean Heat + LOTS OF WATER= happy.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Yes, lots of water.

Seems doubtful to me y'all know what "lots of water" really looks like.

The first Alfredii were brought to the US by Pete Balasky...seeds given to him by Alfred of this yet unnamed palm.

I have 2 of these...planted by my pond with 2x Fenestralis & 2x Madagascarensis. My Alfredii are decidedly much smaller and Pete was over the other day and I asked him why they were not as big as his. He said "they don't like too much water" as they come from a dryer area.

My B windows is @20 feet tall...roots clearly visible thru the bank in the pond...B Mad nearly as tall. The 2x B Alfredii are no more than 6 ft.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Here are some recent pics of Pete's B. alfredii. Some are are growing on raised beds. That is size 12 shoe for scale. They are big and healthy!

post-112-0-86008600-1418820431_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-36786100-1418820437_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-10538000-1418820443_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-98961900-1418820448_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-03547900-1418820455_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-90811600-1418820460_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-62310600-1418820466_thumb.jpg

Thx for the pics Mike.

I don't know if the Cali Boys know what a monster these become

Yes, I totally agree w/ you Mike. While standing under these big boys, I was thinking of the ones in my garden. Am I going to have room to move around??? These guys get big and fat! The fiber on the trunk gets very stiff and tough like the B. madagascariensis.

post-112-0-51746200-1418825411_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Impressive and I cannot wait.

Question: Are these trees trunking yet? It isn't clear to these eyes if they are or are not.

Thanks,

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Thanks for the updated pictures Mike! They kinda look the same as when I saw them a year and a half ago... I wonder why that is?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks Mike, those are indeed husky ones. I think mine is planted in a safe location for size. Not so with the B. madagascariensis that I planted in front. They get those same dimensions, although they take a bit longer to get there. The Alfredii seems to be the fastest of the 3 species out here on the west coast.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Seems doubtful to me y'all know what "lots of water" really looks like.

The first Alfredii were brought to the US by Pete Balasky...seeds given to him by Alfred of this yet unnamed palm.

I have 2 of these...planted by my pond with 2x Fenestralis & 2x Madagascarensis. My Alfredii are decidedly much smaller and Pete was over the other day and I asked him why they were not as big as his. He said "they don't like too much water" as they come from a dryer area.

My B windows is @20 feet tall...roots clearly visible thru the bank in the pond...B Mad nearly as tall. The 2x B Alfredii are no more than 6 ft.

Maybe we need clarification. Excellent drainage and lots of water would describe it better. I have four Alfredii and the one in the warmest, sunniest, and wettest location is by for the biggest and fastest growing. It is also in sandy loam soil. It nearly sat still until I started almost daily watering in the summer. In their natural habitat, they grow in the low crevices of hills and where more water is present somewhat like the way Washingtonia filifera grow in the desert southwest where lots of water is present. This phenomenon may be present in CA where our air is dryer versus a humid one like in Florida.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Thx for the pics Mike.

I don't know if the Cali Boys know what a monster these become

yes we do. they don't call it "California Coconut" for nothin'

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Beccariophoenix alfredii is a great palm and one of the reasons I say this is, it's a species not usually found that can be grown in such a wide range of conditions. From central California to probably most of the state of Florida, due to it's ability to withstand such low temp's. I highly recommend for those of you that can't grow many "tropical looking" palms, to give this a chance. Especially for those of you that like the coconut look.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.