IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp Black Stem

Ntheastpalms

That's exciting! How long have you had it?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

it doesn't look like the first time, as there is a dried up inflorescence hanging from the tree already.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Cool. Nice chunky one too. Did you get that from Bill Beattie?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Matt, I have the same Dypsis flowering here that goes black when it gets plenty of sun, then back to green when shaded as pics below show, a good looking Dypsis for a sunny spot whatever it is but certainly not whats known as Black stem, mine came from the late great Rich Trapnell.

Pete :)

post-5709-0-18192000-1418248000_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-10635600-1418248060_thumb.jp

Well done Matt.

I'm sure you've got homes for the seed, but if you don't, I'd love a couple to try. If it's in the baronii/onilahensis group it should do alright down here.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Way to go Matt!! hopefully the seed will be viable??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

are you guys sure thats the true black ?

mine goes black in shade and green in the sun - what gives ????

I don't think Petes is the Vakona Lodge Black Stem. True Black Stem is never green like you said. There is a lot of confusion with this plant and unless you have seen it in person or grown it, it is hard to know.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the comments everyone

Grant has a keen eye it isn't the first flowering but the second, this time it looks more promising than the first attempt.

I'm getting a little paranoid and cutting any Dypsis flowers off my other Dypsis sp.

Len, the seedlings came from Bill Beattie, I have four plants in total, Bill was lucky enough to get a very limited number of seeds from the collection that Gary made.

Ben no worries at all & yes Tyrone if I get some seed some will find their way to WA :)

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Grant has a keen eye it isn't the first flowering but the second, this time it looks more promising than the first attempt.

I'm getting a little paranoid and cutting any Dypsis flowers off my other Dypsis sp.

Len, the seedlings came from Bill Beattie, I have four plants in total, Bill was lucky enough to get a very limited number of seeds from the collection that Gary made.

Ben no worries at all & yes Tyrone if I get some seed some will find their way to WA :)

Matt, since you have 4 can you post some pics of a few that are "good looking" and loaded with colour ?

Many thanks Matt. You're a legend. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Does this look similar?

post-42-0-36024900-1418466204_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

In Australia I think there are some palms getting around as dypsis arenarum which are incorrectly id'd. Daryl, I dare say the picture you have posted is one of those palms?? I personally don't think it's the same as the vackona lodge palm but it's also not arenarum?

I have another name for your palm but it escapes me right now, I will post when it comes to me.

The other question I have with the dypsis "black stem" has never been answered despite my multiple questioning???? This seems like an appropriate time to try again??

Is it "black petiole" or "black stem" as in trunk?? All the vacona lodge pics show a highlight a distinct dark petiole which looks great!!!! Others post and show a dark stem... Ie trunk????

I have heard both petiole and stem used as the description but these appear to be very confusing??

Ok it has just come to me..... I'm thinking the palm in Daryl's pic is dypsis acuminum??

Maybe other black stem dypsis are also confused with this sp. and I have also seen pics getting around as black stem that I am sure are psammophilla?? Both have black trunks not black petioles as the vacona lodge ( baronii type ??) palm displays?

Matt how fast has your palm grown ?

The other question I have with the dypsis "black stem" has never been answered despite my multiple questioning???? This seems like an appropriate time to try again??

Is it "black petiole" or "black stem" as in trunk?? All the vacona lodge pics show a highlight a distinct dark petiole which looks great!!!! Others post and show a dark stem... Ie trunk????

I have heard both petiole and stem used as the description but these appear to be very confusing??

It is the stem Ben. A true Black Stem has a black trunk. It is never green like you see in Darryl's and Petes. There we tons of Baronii types that have black colored petioles. Many people confuse this for sure. Look at Matts picture. The first ring after the crownshaft is black. All the others shown here are green. The issue is at the Vakona lodge the green ones grow a black mold on the trunks which adds to confusion.

Well, that's how I know it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

It is the stem Ben. A true Black Stem has a black trunk. It is never green like you see in Darryl's and Petes. There we tons of Baronii types that have black colored petioles. Many people confuse this for sure. Look at Matts picture. The first ring after the crownshaft is black. All the others shown here are green. The issue is at the Vakona lodge the green ones grow a black mold on the trunks which adds to confusion.

Well, that's how I know it.

Len, there are pics on Palmpeia of the Vakona Baronii with green in the stem, "Also" I very much feel that the 'Hype" around the Black stem baronii is this pic, as all the "other" pics on Ppedia of this palm look quite ordinary. If I bought a Black stem baronii I would "hope" it would look like the 1 in this pic :) Pete

Dypsis sp. 'black stem' - Palmpedia

post-5709-0-23875500-1418510575_thumb.jp

Pete, PalmPedia has a few Dypsis errors.

Love that photo.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Love that photo.

Len, look again, 1 of the fruiting Green stems is @ Vakona :)

Sorry to go "off track" , but, the Black petiole and stem Baronii is a "Great looker" that Bill Beattie got seed of and has in his garden ( 1st pic Below in Great big dypsis) and Ive seen "large specimens" in a private garden in Nth Qld and "they" are Very appealing with their 'Black" petioles and stems as they are in"full sun"

There seems to lots of "different" Baronii types with Black here n there and some way more intense than others, and again, if this pic that Bruno or Gary took wasnt viewed by Palm enthusiasts ,. would there be "any hype" about black stem ?

Great (big) dypsis collection ( its not pasting) but heres a little pic from it @ Bills

post-5709-0-33051600-1418516267_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-60752400-1418516756.jpg

Nice pictures Pete, looks like the baronii branched in second picture. My black stem did the same thing.

post-7434-0-19364700-1418518214_thumb.jp

Sunset zone 24

Love that photo.

Len, look again, 1 of the fruiting Green stems is @ Vakona :)

Sorry to go "off track" , but, the Black petiole and stem Baronii is a "Great looker" that Bill Beattie got seed of and has in his garden ( 1st pic Below in Great big dypsis) and Ive seen "large specimens" in a private garden in Nth Qld and "they" are Very appealing with their 'Black" petioles and stems as they are in"full sun"

There seems to lots of "different" Baronii types with Black here n there and some way more intense than others, and again, if this pic that Bruno or Gary took wasnt viewed by Palm enthusiasts ,. would there be "any hype" about black stem ?

Great (big) dypsis collection ( its not pasting) but heres a little pic from it @ Bills

Pete, I have a "fruiting green stem" from Vakona Lodge. I got it from Pete Balasky in 2008. He said "this is not black stem, but people confuse it with it". I almost turned it down as it didn't look like much as a baby. So glad I took it as it is a pretty plant. Know what plant it is? The one you wanted seed off I sent you photos of a few months back :) I never told you, but that was a Lodge plant too.

Look below. Look familiar? Look how white the stems are (green underneath). I think all the white power makes for a great place for mold and moss to grow in the tropics. That black mold can be misleading. I am going to be at the lodge in October. I plan on photo documenting all the Baronii type palms there. :)

Who knows, maybe this palm we are all talking about has two forms. One with green stems and one with black. For me, I would want the one with true black stems. It is a unique trait. I have not seen any other suckering Dypsis with it. Sure I have seen purple ones. I have seen Dypsis psammophila show almost black on older stems (but never the newly exposed stem when the crownshaft falls off). I know there was talk of Black Stem maybe being a hybrid. But the issue with that is all seed wouldn't come true from it like it has shown. Pete, I wish you would have bought seed from RPS when he had it. You can tell from a seedling it grows and looks different.

Anyway, just my opinion on the matter. Been wrong before!

post-649-0-07745400-1418521761_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-66160000-1418521768_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

The picture Pete posted of the Black Stem with the vivid coloration all over the petioles and crownshaft and which has a black trunk, is the photo i took of the plant i collected seed from in Vicona Lodge. There were only 2 palms that looked like that at the lodge, and another ten plus baronii types that were no where near as beautiful and some obviously just plain baronii. Many people that have been to the lodge collected seed from numerous baronii at the lodge and called them Black Stem. That is why so many people now have plants they call black stem but look different. It seems that any seed coming from Vicona Lodge is being called Black Stem regardless of which baronii the seed comes from. I only consider two plants from the lodge as black stem. Maybe those two are just unique genetic variations of the same plant, but they are the only ones worthy of the name Black Stem.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

The picture Pete posted of the Black Stem with the vivid coloration all over the petioles and crownshaft and which has a black trunk, is the photo i took of the plant i collected seed from in Vicona Lodge. There were only 2 palms that looked like that at the lodge, and another ten plus baronii types that were no where near as beautiful and some obviously just plain baronii. Many people that have been to the lodge collected seed from numerous baronii at the lodge and called them Black Stem. That is why so many people now have plants they call black stem but look different. It seems that any seed coming from Vicona Lodge is being called Black Stem regardless of which baronii the seed comes from. I only consider two plants from the lodge as black stem. Maybe those two are just unique genetic variations of the same plant, but they are the only ones worthy of the name Black Stem.

Word

Thanks Gary, for that very "Insightful" info.

Len, great looking Baronii :greenthumb:

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Update on the Black stem

Unfortunatley the inflo's did not set any seed........better luck next time I guess.

Pedro I apologize for not posting some photos of my other plants but I will shortly when I can get a camera, the mobile phone pics wont show the colours properly

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

2nd Word!

post-1729-0-39646800-1425398708.jpg

Unlocking the secret word, D. 'Black Stem'

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

word!

Sunset zone 24