IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm update from Puerto Rico

Cindy Adair

Technology is amazing as I am in an area so rural that there is no direct mail service or street numbers but I can post photos taken this morning from an IPhone.

First, two views of my larger Copernicia fallaensis!

post-4111-0-73220900-1417045915_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-49633600-1417046557_thumb.jp

Next Pinanga waitaniana

post-4111-0-44785500-1417046784_thumb.jp

Then Tahina spectabilis

post-4111-0-76685600-1417046938_thumb.jp

Last for tonight is Beccariophoenix fenestralis

post-4111-0-04608500-1417047120_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I am truly impressed, Cindy. I really hope someday I can get down your way to see the garden.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Whoa!

I'm with Jeff, on visiting the garden! That would be an awesome PRA!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow, Cindy, those palms are taking off like rockets! That Pinanga is so gorgeous, putting it on my "wish list". Looking forward to more photos in the coming days.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Cindy,

Nice to see you back with lovely pictures on Palmtalk :)

Again you show us wonderful palm babies.

Thanks

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Technology, lucky for us! I can see you now with that big hat and gloves on. Lookin good.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Cindy,

Those are some spectacular looking palms! About as green as it gets! :) I'm curious how fast your Tahina will grow. I'm sure it'll love it there! Looking forward to more photos. Oh, and I'm amazed you have reception in such a rural area. I certainly couldn't post from my iPhone here at my place even though Leilani Estates is a good-sized community. Maybe one day technology will arrive here as well! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Gorgeous palms, Cindy. Your Beccariophoenix rocks!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Dave and Jeff, thanks for the positive comments. I do hope you and everyone else will visit. I'll be here full time by September!

Tim, I still wear the big hat since it keeps my hair up and I'm too lazy to put on sunscreen. However, no gardening gloves for me and my hands show it with banana sap stains, blisters and scratches after only two days here!

Bo, I am amazed also that ATT works so well here and after only 3 months as a smartphone user I am delighted to have it.

NApalm, Kim and Philippe, thanks for all your kind comments. I always enjoy your posts.

Today I planted all the palms ( first priority of course).

The list included Pseudophoenix ekmanii, Copernicia ekmanii , Coccothrinax ekmanii, Ponapea hentyi, Dypsis minuta, Basselina pancheri, Ptychosperma furcatum, Dypsis lantzeana, Calyptrocalyx Kal Keyik,

Licuala naumannii, Dypsis sambiranensis, Geonoma cuneatum, and Calyptrocalyx awa.

Lunched on a pack of peanut butter crackers I kept in my pocket and a sweet crispy starfruit picked on the tree as I walked by. I ate my Thanksgiving meal after darkness made waking the jungle paths impossible.

Not many photos from today, but more after I plant the other non palms: trees, orchids, flowering perennials and shrubs, rare bananas and ornamentals grown for their foliage. That should keep me out of trouble until next Wednesday.

Here is Chambeyronia macrocarpa v. hookeri. This is the first time I have been here to witness the new red leaf since I planted it four years ago.

post-4111-0-97944000-1417134203_thumb.jp

Sorry they are both sideways. I need to figure out a quick fix for this but too tired to do so tonight. Anybody want to help out and turn them upright?

post-4111-0-46356200-1417134785_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Way to go Cindy, I planted a PR native this week, Roystonea borinquena, do you have one ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Gorgeous palms, Cindy. Your Beccariophoenix rocks!

Thanks! It has almost recovered from cows who "pruned" the lower fronds on two separate occasions.

Cindy Adair

Way to go Cindy, I planted a PR native this week, Roystonea borinquena, do you have one ?

I have bunches of big ones nature provided. Will try to take a photo for you Wal. Such a regal palm!

Cindy Adair

Thanks so much Dr. George for fixing my photos! If I can just stop holding the phone vertically when I snap the picture it will be better!

First rain of the trip so enjoying some hammock time on the porch while my newly planted palms and orchids and many others are getting a drink.

These first two are near the porch.

Areca macrocalyx

post-4111-0-05476900-1417281555_thumb.jp

Close up to show the first glimpse of red!

post-4111-0-85022300-1417281705_thumb.jp

Next is Iriartea deltoidea.

post-4111-0-13003100-1417281918_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-45735000-1417282063_thumb.jp

See the beginning of what I hope will be giant stilt roots.

post-4111-0-31838100-1417282157_thumb.jp

Rain is over so back to play on the farm and plant some more orchids!

Cindy Adair

Cindy, you must be wrapt with the growth rates of those guys. Especially when some/all were planted as seedlings (correct me if I'm wrong). They are really starting to develop their characteristics

Yes NA palm, it is great to watch them grow mostly from seedlings to four inch pot size into giving hints of their adult features.

Planted a bunch of vanda orchids from world famous RF orchids in Homestead Florida and as if on cue, there's another bit of rain to make them happy. I needed some coffee anyway since I've been up since 3:30 am.

Time for a photo or two until the rain stops.

Lanonia dasyantha

post-4111-0-67393800-1417288468_thumb.jp

Iguanura wallichia

post-4111-0-88490600-1417288635_thumb.jp

Pinanga punicea

post-4111-0-29220700-1417289652_thumb.jp

Wettina aequalis

post-4111-0-88855000-1417289830_thumb.jp

Close up of leaf

post-4111-0-84148800-1417289535_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

it's so nice to see your babies growing. many thanks.

I am looking forward to seeing my Areca macrocalyx becoming as beautiful as yours, how old is your plant?

discovering the first glimpse of red must be very exciting :)

Did you plant Clinostigma species in your garden? This is what I am now trying in Doranakanda gardens... we'll see.

Philippe

Cindy,

it's so nice to see your babies growing. many thanks.

I am looking forward to seeing my Areca macrocalyx becoming as beautiful as yours, how old is your plant?

discovering the first glimpse of red must be very exciting :)

Did you plant Clinostigma species in your garden? This is what I am now trying in Doranakanda gardens... we'll see.

I planted my Areca macrocalyx in August of 2011 but it was somewhat larger than my usual, I think a four inch pot or maybe even a gallon. I don't have my planting size notes here in PR.

Yes! I have a Clinostigma samoense planted in April 2009 near my Chamaedorea tuerkheimii palms and one or maybe two Clinostigma harlandii from August of 2013 tiny seedlings. I'll get some photos and post them just for you! Another lovely genus that should thrive for you!

Cindy Adair

Another lovely genus that should thrive for you!….

Thanks to Palmtalk and IPS, we can share experiences and informations on a worldwide scale.

I am glad I can hope Clinostigma should thrive in Doranakanda gardens. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Thank you Cindy.

Philippe

Ken,

I would enjoy visitors a few at a time for sure, but I need to settle in and fix things up before I'd be ready for a larger group. Many if the paths are single file steep inclines right now and can be quite slippery in the wet season.

So those interested in wearing hiking boots and getting muddy, plan on coming (beginning next Fall) and I'd be delighted to take you on a tour of my jungle!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I love the little treasure hunt each time you go!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Josh-O and Bill! I am so happy here! Saw lots more palms doing well including some very nice tiny ones (like Licuala cordata) but pictures are slow to load here and I've been up since 3:30 am so will post more soon.

Wal, these Roystonea borinquena photos are for you!post-4111-0-59262300-1417482506_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-53878900-1417482347_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-91462900-1417483020_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Taking a coffee break so a couple more photos.

The first is Pinanga 'Thai mottled' planted August 2011.

post-4111-0-95270400-1417520854_thumb.jp

Next Mauritia flexuosa planted August 2013.

A tree fell and crushed one and another died likely because I thought they needed to be very close to water so I put it in full shade. So many mistakes that I like to think of as "learning opportunities" but unfortunately at the poor palm's expense.post-4111-0-75952900-1417521064_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Cindy how exciting and what an amazing collection you have going there. It's fun when you have a garden that you only see once in a while, you really notice the growth.

Cindy how exciting and what an amazing collection you have going there. It's fun when you have a garden that you only see once in a while, you really notice the growth.

Yes, over a longer span of time there are lots of changes.

However it will be even better to be there all the time!

Here's where I sneak in a beach picture which does include palm trees! Another reason to be here full time is the year round perfect weather for me and palms.

post-4111-0-26601200-1417624138_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Metroxylon salomonense posted while waiting in Orlando airport....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice species in Orlando airport! :) Thanks.

Philippe

G'day Cindy,

Cindy of the Jungle has a nice ring to it :-)

Beautiful tropical palm plantings, looking forward to your future pictures of their growth. We may never see you out of Puerto Rico again as it appears your are having way to much fun :-)

congratulations the move

happy growing

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia