IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Parajubaea Cocoides

smithgn

I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I thought I'd make a Butia x Parajubaea hybrid thread. Anyone else feel free to post pictures of yours as well, whether it be a Butia X Parajubaea cocoides or torallyi or even a sunkha. Anyways, here's mine purchased from the one and only Patric Shaffer.

Butia capitata x Parajubaea cocoides:

DSC01005_zpsce6b8b8e.jpg

You honestly couldn't have packaged this any better.

DSC01006_zps969df391.jpg

A puncture in the box during shipping. Luckily it missed the plant!

DSC01008_zps792249db.jpg

This big guy is going into my newly purchased and put together greenhouse. By the time spring arrives, do any of y'all think I can put it in ground? Thanks and look forward to seeing everyone else's as well!

• Upvote 1

Nick please keep us updated on it! I definitely want some more hardy hybrids. What is the lowest that it can take?

What a beaut.

The yatay mule I purchased were already

on its third pinate leaf in the same liner/band pot.

Im assuming they were planted about the same time.

I guess we will be comparing growth pics

of our children as they grow.

Great score :greenthumb:

San Dimas- I'm totally onboard, we should definitely keep ongoing updates of how our little guys grow.

Scot- I honestly have no idea the absolute minimum it can take. If it can take down into the mid teens, I'll be happy. If I can find a protected microclimate, this might be a keeper for years to come. Hopefully, with threads like this, we can all post updates of what our hybrids can take throughout their growth cycle. I get pretty scientific with temperatures but it wont be until probably next winter till I get any readings on what minimums it can endure. For now, it's sitting nice and toasty in my mini greenhouse.

ben- You've pretty much got the whole collection! Do you know if Patric tries to hybridize parajubaea's with all types of Butias or just a select few? I don't believe he offered any odoratas or paraguayensis hybrids on his price list. He told me mine was a regular capitata.

The odorata/capitata is the same thing. I think Patric calls odorata, capitata, basically - so we have the same mother for that plant.

More broadly, I think it's about what he has access to, of sufficient maturity. He's working on some new crosses that are in a stand around the corner in Concord, NOT on Dick's old property. So perhaps in a couple of years there will be yet more interesting seedlings to try based on that.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for posting your new palms and good luck with them, I have no room to try one so looking forward to seeing how they do in y’all gardens.

Ben- Butia's are always a confusing genus for me since all of them look about the same... I think there may be some variation between odorata and capitata, but reading up on it on palmpedia got me way too confused so I just stopped while I was ahead- lol.

He did mention to me that he will have some Butia X PJ Sunkha available by the spring time. So what's the deal with him hybridizing palms that aren't on his property? I would have thought he did all of this stuff in his backyard... Just curious.

Palm Crazy- Thanks a bunch. You're really that cramped for space? Not enough space for even One more?

Edited by smithgn

He definitely looks to access plants that aren't on his property...if it leads to a greater variety of hybrids, that's outstanding IMO.

Can't wait to see what he has in spring!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Yeah I really am tapped out for new palm space here. I still have butia catarinensis, livistona nitida and a double trunk trachycarpus to plant out. All the good spots are taken. But seriously I don’t think BxPC is a good fit for my climate. Just a little to cold here IMO and I really don’t need another tender feather palm to look after since I all ready have 13, LOL. I am looking forward to some new varieties coming next spring. If I did get another it would be Jubaea x B. yatay.

Ben- That's pretty cool. So he has Butias on his property, but he collects the pollen from the parajubaea's from another property and pollinates HIS butias? Sorry, I'm just genuinely curious as to how he goes about it. But oh yeah, I'll be sending him an e-mail this spring inquiring on what he has for sure.

Palm crazy- Lol I understand, at some point there are just too many palms to babysit. I'm starting to reach that point, but not quite yet. That's the thing that is so interesting about these hybrids. We honestly don't know, besides a few sources here and there, on how hardy these things really are. And to complicate things even further, each hybrid can be drastically different. So it's a really slow (in a general sense), unwrapping of a gift. You really don't know what you have until it gets to its juvenile stage or further.

I wouldn't leave such an expensive palm out to fend for itself in 8A South Carolina. I have 2 B x PJC. I put them in 25 gallon pots until they have a little size. If your greenhouse is mobile (mine is) you could put it over the palm in the ground. I use the spring gardener gable greenhouse... it's totally mobile to put over palms in the ground. Small space heater for antifreeze.

Smith: I don't know what he has on his property. I know Patric reads here, but haven't seen him post to date. What I can tell you is that he is pollinating Butia mothers (multiple, different species) at both Dick's old property in Walnut Creek, and the plants at this different property in Concord. The PJC pollen, I believe, comes from Dick's property. This second stand in Concord has some large P. torallyi, but I am not sure if they are yet of flowering age.

Scott: No website. E-mail only. What do you need?

Ben Rogers

Heck, I never know. I'm a impulse buyer based on what is available.

Ask Patric for a list. You need to move though, buddy. These hybrids get BIG, FAST, and you ain't wheeling them indoors in a couple years...

Ben Rogers

Ben- :greenthumb: Cool stuff. Ben, I know your hybrids aren't quite mature enough but have you come across anyone that has one of these butia x pj hybrids that is able to produce pollen?

Tropicdoc- To be honest, I still haven't totally decided what I'm going to do with this particular plant. I'm eager to see it's vaunted growth rate so part of me wants it in ground where it is able to grow at its full potential. The other part of me wants to keep it potted and baby it till its hardy enough to be put in the ground. That's actually an excellent idea. My greenhouse is mobile. It's only about 4 feet tall, but this could be a viable option.

Check out the Spring Gardener greenhouses. They go up very easy. Just anchor them down. I woke up one morning last winter and my greenhouse was GONE!

mine in France, also frm Patric

394993DSCN9653.jpg

740072DSCN9654.jpg

Salut ;)

• Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

What is Patric's contact info?

Here is his contact information… coolhybrids@wildblue.net

I got a reply in 24 hrs, unfortunately he didn’t have what I wanted….JxB.yatay, only regular JxB, price for theses are good deal. Ask for a list if you’re not sure what you like.

Edited by Palm crazy

Does Patric have a website that lists what he has for sale?

he does not have a website

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

tropicdoc- I checked them out, they looked nice. If I never need to upsize, which I will in the next few years, I'll keep these in mind :greenthumb:

Gilles- Awesome pics! How long have you had yours? Trying to gauge the growth rate. Is it fast like everyone else has indicated?

Smithgn, i planted 2 years ago this as a seedling. And i got it 2 years before from Patric.

At first it was not fast at all, i found it very slow! But now with more rains last year it is getting more speed but still not very fast...

Yeye, i planted it with a half cutted pot. It is just like a belt, to get easy irrigation and removing weeds.

Salut.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Gilles, I'm not sure if it makes up for the slow growth, but your palms have great color and also seem to have denser leaflets on the fronds..,,. Closer to that of a cocos. Your palms may have different genetics. My plants are growing quickly, but the color seems more grey and the leaflets are kind of sparse. I need to post pics.

Has anyone heard from Patric?? I've left voice mails and numerous e-mails with no luck.

Sunset zone 24

He and I exchanged a couple of emails the past few days but he hasn't answered a question that I asked yesterday.

You really have to be patient and understanding when dealing with Patrick.

Just leave him emails and messages on the phone.

Bens been to his place a couple of times already...

He really needs a secretary or a PR/customer service person.

It seems like he does everything himself.

Be Patient with Patrick.

The odorata/capitata is the same thing. I think Patric calls odorata, capitata, basically - so we have the same mother for that plant.

More broadly, I think it's about what he has access to, of sufficient maturity. He's working on some new crosses that are in a stand around the corner in Concord, NOT on Dick's old property. So perhaps in a couple of years there will be yet more interesting seedlings to try based on that.

Butia odorata is the current, correct name for what we've always known as B. capitata. Turns out B. capitata is another species from much farther north in Brazil that's not cultivated much if at all outside of habitat.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Very interesting, gilles. Thanks for the insight.

I was pretty lucky with Patric, as he usually responded within 24 hours. But I agree in that he's a one man team, so patience might be needed every now and again. Hope you all get into contact with him soon.

That's usually my reasoning when facing the (not-so) difficult decision of buying a new palm. "I don't have X, so why not?" Lol Remember to post some pics when you receive it!

Scott, that would be great to see some pictures when your palm arrives.

cheers!!

Josh-O

Sunset zone 24