IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can you identify this palm

Gbarce

I just saw this in a plant show.

The overall height is about 2 . 5 feet.

post-1017-0-48306600-1416840722_thumb.jp

It doesn't seem to be forming a trunk and just spreads by producing a lot of suckers

post-1017-0-67822000-1416840820_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-02973800-1416840712_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Looking at the remnants of my summer garden I see weed, onion, leek, weed, onion, leek, palm seedling!

There's no palm tree within 100 yds, so I assume the seed was dropped by a bird.

Is this enough to identify? Is this worth potting up and keeping?

post-10750-0-93100400-1417110380_thumb.j

Possibly a queen palm, Syagrus romanzoffiana. Very fast, and big.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Possibly a queen palm, Syagrus romanzoffiana. Very fast, and big.

Those look nice, and they appear to grow well in pots. I've been using E.B. Stone's Cactus Mix for other plants; would their Citrus and Palm mix do well for this palm? Should I mix in some sand, or just go 100% soil mix?

I wish I could find palm seedlings in my vegetable garden, let's say: Lodoicea seedlings from seeds dropped by a bird.

Lucky you :)

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

What bird(s) in CA would be able to spread seeds of S. romanzoffiana? (Maybe crows?) Also, aren't the first leaves of this species entire (not split)?

Rats and squirrels sure like them in my yard...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

What bird(s) in CA would be able to spread seeds of S. romanzoffiana? (Maybe crows?) Also, aren't the first leaves of this species entire (not split)?

for me its the squirrels that I always see running around with the seed. I think your looking at 2 separate strap leaves not

a split leaf. Always finding volunteers popping up around the yard of this species.

for me its the squirrels that I always see running around with the seed. I think your looking at 2 separate strap leaves not

a split leaf. Always finding volunteers popping up around the yard of this species.

Yes, I think you are correct - 2 separate strap leaves.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

What bird(s) in CA would be able to spread seeds of S. romanzoffiana? (Maybe crows?)

It could be carried by an African swallow! Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow.

Sorry about the lousy photo. It was too bright. I'll try to take a better picture when I get back to Los Angeles.

Any tips on how to properly dig up and pot a seedling?

It could be carried by an African swallow! Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow.

A coconut, maybe, but not a queen palm seed. It's a simple question of weight ratios.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

• 4 weeks later...

So, a month later, I had time, a pot, and some soil. The tap root was about 5/16" in diameter, and I lost a few inches of it digging it out :-o

Does this still look like a Queen Palm?

Will the loss of a few inches of taproot be really traumatic?

post-10750-0-42472100-1419794718_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Looks like a washie to me too.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 3 years later...

Is this another Washingtonia robusta? 

This is in the exact same place as the seedling I removed 3 years ago, and it's been growing for ~18-24 months, I'd guess. So the birds keep dropping them here.

Is this of value to anyone? This is in a section of my garden that's going to get plowed and planted with corn this spring, so it needs to make like a tree and leave.

Can a palm of this size be potted and/or transplanted? Is it worth potting and/or transplanting? Is it hard to dig out?

I'm in Los Angeles-ish, zip code 90274, if anyone wants to come and get this. My garden backs up to a horse trail that you can drive a pickup truck through.

IMG_9025.jpg

Edited by TheWaterbug
  • Upvote 2

No value where you are. As you can see, they grow like weeds.  At least you'll be able to eat the corn!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.