IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Have You Been Hurt By A Palm?

Dypsisdean

Palm Injuries  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Been Hurt "Badly" By A Palm

• Yes - I've been stabbed - more than a little
    • Yes - Some other way
    • Badly enough for a doctor/hosptial visit
    • Badly, but not badly enough for a doctor visit
    • Nope - lucky so far

During a recent discussion, it came to my attention that I am not the only one who has been stabbed, more than a little, by a palm. In fact, most everyone I know that has a Phoenix in their garden has been stabbed badly enough for it to be considered a bigger injury than your typical garden variety.

Palms have found ways to injure me in a variety of ways. Is it just me, or does it just come with the territory?

So, I was curious. And this seemed like a good way to find out. You can pick more than one choice.

Please note: heartbreak does not qualify. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

In my 30 plus years, I wish I had a dollar for everytime I got stabbed, poked or ripped skin from mostly Phoenix palms and many a leaf base from Copernicias. It really husts like hell most of the time and I have the upmost respect while trimming these leaves.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Yes, carrying trimmed Livistona and Washingtonia fronds is not something I do carelessly anymore. One that might surprise some people for never really hurting me is the ferociously-named saw palmetto. I've walked through many thick palmetto woods wearing nothing but shorts and flip flops without a scratch. The armament is far down the petiole away from the leaf, and pretty unimpressive compared to other palm species.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Yes, the worst offenders for me are Phoenix and Copernicia. Copernicias are worth it, IMO, Phoenix are not so I won't have one in my landscape.

Bactris and Astrocaryum get special mention.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Yup, been stabbed by every spiny palm in the yard. The best was having a couple spines from a Chamerops actually break off the petiole & embed in my head, while I was pruning it. Does falling off a ladder last week while reaching up with a pole saw count? Fortunately a couple landscaping rocks broke my fall.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

No Phoenix in the garden, but when cleaning up we try to minimize confrontations with the Saribus rotundifolius, Elaeis oleifera and the young Verschaffeltia splendida. - gmp

I've been stabbed by spiny palms, or slashed by them. The worst was a nasty cut from a Copernicia alba; the recurved thorns on its petioles are like cat claws. Livistonas also make nasty little cuts, except for saribus which can make nasty big ones.

I got poked in the eye once by a Rhopalostylus baueri spear. It made my eye red for a while, but no lingering problems.

Having read the stories of Phoenix stabbings (and watching the travails of a worker who fell into the crown of a CIDP from a skyscraper :bemused: ) I'm super careful around them. Same goes for Acrocomias and Aiphane.

The unexpected nasty injury was a cut from an Archontophoenix petiole I grabbed and tried to yank off a palm. The leaf didn't want to come off and the razor-sharp edge of the petiole gave me a nasty cut on my fingers.

So far, no need for trips to the doctors, though that cut from the Archie came close.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've been stabbed by spiny palms, or slashed by them. The worst was a nasty cut from a Copernicia alba; the recurved thorns on its petioles are like cat claws. Livistonas also make nasty little cuts, except for saribus which can make nasty big ones.

I got poked in the eye once by a Rhopalostylus baueri spear. It made my eye red for a while, but no lingering problems.

Having read the stories of Phoenix stabbings (and watching the travails of a worker who fell into the crown of a CIDP from a skyscraper :bemused: ) I'm super careful around them. Same goes for Acrocomias and Aiphane.

The unexpected nasty injury was a cut from an Archontophoenix petiole I grabbed and tried to yank off a palm. The leaf didn't want to come off and the razor-sharp edge of the petiole gave me a nasty cut on my fingers.

So far, no need for trips to the doctors, though that cut from the Archie came close.

More than once similiar accident happened on me through a Sabal sp involved...

My daughter was scratched by Copernicia alba the first day I got it from _Keith. I am thinking of giving it back to him and completely avoiding armed palms in my landscape. There are too many other palms to plant. I would like my kids to be able to play hide and seek in my jungle without injury.

My infatuation with Livistona decora has caused me injury on numerous occasions, love it, like war wounds to brag about. My brother in law had a long time infection from a Phoenix Palm though.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Forget the Phoenix palms, I cut them all down long ago. I made the mistake of grabbing a royal leaf that was hanging down. I could just barely reach it. I gave it a tug and the tip of the leaf punched through my upper lip. There was about 45# of force behind it. I was a bloody mess and mouth was completely numb. I had to feel if my teeth it see if they were intact. Never will do that again. The other day I was taking a pic of a Carpoxylon, and grabbed the old dead leaf by the petiole to tear it off. The leaf did not move but my hand slid across the knife sharp petiole. Left a trail of blood into the house. Just a few of the escapades in the garden. Its great growing palms!

Forget the Phoenix palms, I cut them all down long ago. I made the mistake of grabbing a royal leaf that was hanging down. I could just barely reach it. I gave it a tug and the tip of the leaf punched through my upper lip. There was about 45# of force behind it. I was a bloody mess and mouth was completely numb. I had to feel if my teeth it see if they were intact. Never will do that again. The other day I was taking a pic of a Carpoxylon, and grabbed the old dead leaf by the petiole to tear it off. The leaf did not move but my hand slid across the knife sharp petiole. Left a trail of blood into the house. Just a few of the escapades in the garden. Its great growing palms!

OUCH :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused:

Hope you recovered from the Royal mishap . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I once got brutalized by a big trithrinax campestris.. It took me off line for a few days.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Had a canary island date palm leaf fall from about 15 ft driving a spine in between two fingers going a couple inches deep. Had to pull it out with pliers. I hated it obviously but it could have been way worse.

Fell into the crown of a CIDP from a skyscraper! Good Gawd Y'all!

Seems the innocuous looking palms are the ones to look out for. I've cut my fingers on the petioles of my sabals and my Bizzy. Livistona Decipiens is just plain gnarly, I've had to pick the recurved spines out of my arm a few times. Those things don't mess around they dig in then snap off when you pull away and lodge into your skin

Wound up at the chiropractors after planting 6 triple Roebelinis with about 6 feet of trunk and huge rootballs by myself one day.

My brother in law has a terrible reaction to phoenix spines, especially Roebelinis. If he gets stuck he gets a bad infection and winds up at the doctors for antibiotics or something.

Edited by Palmdude

Get nailed every time I work with them, aka pruning dead fronds, but never badly. Just enough to make me curse a bit.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Ooh and how could I forget! I saw a landscaper at my friends house with a CIDP spine that went into the cuticle of his finger and went like four inches right into his Middle finger, I just got goosebumps thinking about that. Not a good day for that poor guy! I've heard lots of gruesome CIDP stories. Like through the palm and out the back of the hand. Scared me enough to be very careful but it seems no matter how cautios you are they still manage to poke you

Edited by Palmdude

The scar in my upper chin is from a split that required eleven stitches after a Washingtonia petiole fell from a hundred feet up and freakishly hit me while I was innocently walking to my front door. Man that wound bled! The rest of injuries center around being stabbed or scraped by Trithrinax, Phoenix, Livistona, Licuala, and even Butia. Then there's the eye pokes from the emerging spears of Bismarkia, Rhopalostylis, Archontophonix, and Caryota. What we do for the love of palms!

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

For me forays into Queensland's rainforests have on many occasions put me in direct contact with Calamus species........... Numerous times I have found myself torn open by the climbing whip like flagella or cirri (depending on the species that I have blundered into).

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Lucky so far with the palms themselves, aside from some sore backs (from moving big pots around). Less lucky with the fire ants living on the palms, however.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Andrew when I was in Australia I had this dream of buying or ideally salvageing a sunken 60-70 foot sailboat off the reef and captaining it, like a floating bed and breakfast, and I imagined being stationed in the Whitsundays, and surfing the Great Barrier Reef, ok now back to being tortured by palms

Edited by Palmdude

Slashed and stabbed on various occasions from W. robusta, Acanthophoenix rubra, Acrocomia aculeata, Chamaerops humilis and small Livistona mariae. Worst have been some cuts from the Washingtonia and stabs by Acanthophoenix.

I lost my balance once while doing maintenance near the Acanthophoenix and put my hand on the ground hard to prevent a fall. There it happened to be the very spiny crownshaft section of an Acanthophoenix dead leaf and one of the spines went all the way to the bone. I pulled it out(as well as the rest of the spine tips lodged in various parts of the palm)and the area close to the bone felt sore for a couple weeks but all was well in the end.

I have had 2 close calls with falling dead leafs, one with a W. robusta leaf crushing down a meter from me outside Tampa Aquarium while standing for a photo and another was with a Phoenix canariensis leaf which was to fall exactly where i was but i heard it break free from the palm and moved away just in time before it crushed there.

Phoenix canariensis have always been kind to me, i have been playing among them since early childhood and never got anything but a pleasant feeling from it :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I had Washys cuts on my arms from bear hugging one while we were pulling it up with the tractor trying to stabilize it.

I am terrible about having chamerops thorns in my fingers as I do not like wearing gloves regularly. I try to only plant thornless palms now.. and I stay away from the Phoenixes for this reason.

Personally, only minor issues with Phoenix and Chamaerops.

however..

Many years ago a friend was duck hunting and fell backwards into the crown of an adolescent Phoenix canariensis. One cheek of his buttocks was completely impaled from the 'plumbers crack' all the way through to the outer side. :sick: He couldn't sit down for several weeks.

San Francisco, California

... is it just me or is trying to not get stabbed half the fun??? Aiphanes, acrocomia, copernicia are all my favorites oh and lets not forget cycads especially huge enceohalartos.

When I'm cleaning up the yard I've come to accept that you're going to get poked, slashed, sliced, cut, jabbed or gored eventually....today.

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Palmdude, actually there is a an abandoned 3 mast sailing boat sitting in shallow water off Airlie Beach, multimillion dollar vessel but the owner went broke and can't salvage it........this could be your golden opportunity.......Palmy sailing tours of the tropical Whitsunday Islands :yay:

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Trithrinax campestris and against Washingtonias.......minor but painful........not to mention trimming a Livistona australis

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I'm a little heart broken that the heart-broken option was not also listed... :crying:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rhapidophyllum hystrix yet! I never seem to be fully prepared with protection measures when it comes time to collect seeds from them. I always manage to get stabbed by those needles, usually many times in each hand. The fun part is that the tips of the needles break off in your hands! I was pulling out little splinters for days.

My dad got gashed really good once from a Washingtonia petiole as he drove past with the lawn mower at an irresponsible rate of speed. As many of my palms as he has killed with that damn lawnmower though, maybe this was a little revenge from one of them, lol.

Tying up the fronds on my largest washingtonia, cut my thumb the bone on one of the spines...probably should've had stitches, but stuck a bandaid and called it good. It will probably scar permanently, and I will forever have memories of the time my beloved washy injured me while I was trying to protect it... ;-;

El_Dorado.gif

I have been stabbed many times by my CIDP to keep it surviving during winter. That means I am gentle to her but she is not gentle to me...

Southwest

Verschafeltia--my neighbor's palm. It helped me learn, you only weed your own spiny palms! Also almost cut my wrist open on the knife edge of a Bizzy petiole; they may not have thorns but they are still very dangerous...

It also seems like everytime, I go to weed one of my Copernicias, when I pull back, I have at least two or three petiole spines, come off recurved into my arms--anyone else have to pull out Copernicia thorns from their arms and fingers? My youngest son, Drake, had a couple fordiana thorns come off in his hand. He doesn't feel pain, though like the rest of us; his older brother cried almost all night when his mom told him to hide under the berteroana, during a hide and seek game, at night. He had some nice scratches on his head and respects Copernicias like he does Aiphanes(his favorite palm), now! Palm Family growing pains! :) Good topic, Dean! I imagine the Cycad people have a lot to add too.

• 3 months later...

Just sustained my first palm injury worth sharing... Nothing gruesome, but still worth sharing.

I put a Phoenix sylvestris in ground from it's pot. As a precaution to it's dainty but spiny tips, I cut the lower dead fronds and cut a few more that were badly damaged from the cold we received. I finally put the sylvestris in ground and was in the act of repositioning it, I tipped it forward one way and let it come back towards me- bam! got stabbed in the cranium with a spine (I was kneeling down).

Next injury came at the very end when I did the very same action, this time, I got stabbed right in the medial deltoid. It kept hurting but I didn't pay much attention to it. Just a few hours ago while I was ready to hop in the shower, I noticed a tip of the spine was stuck in my arm. I pulled it... and pulled it and a few millimeters later, it came out! No wonder it kept hurting! Maybe the sylvestris wanted to stay in its pot? Lol