IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aussie palmtalkers day out....

Kennybenjamin

Hi all,

After a couple of quick chats between FM Bencassa and myself an little idea has surfaced and I thought I would gauge any potential interest?

We thought it might be a nice thing if there was an ( annual ? ) gathering of interested Aussie palmtalkers? A little mini biennial type thing. Perhaps a different city and a different botanical garden somewhere in Oz each year? It would be nice to put some more faces to names and do some real life palm talking.

I think it would probably be a pretty informal type affair and spouses etc would be more than welcome.

Is I said it was a bit of a thought bubble but worth investigating further we thought?? Any interest for such an event?

Ben

Would be a great chance to catch up with some old and new faces in some of the counties palmiest locations.

No reason why we couldn't drop in on a few of the private gardens of FM's in the area to and make a real day of it.

It's got to have some merit.

That's three so far by my count.

Suggested meeting position : Lord Howe Island

Sounds Great Peter ! Just one thing Not all Aussie rat packers may want to pay $ 1496 for a return flight Sydney to Lord Howe Island ,plus Accommodation starting at 230 per night ! :w00t: Would be a fantastic place to visit though and is definitely on my bucket list for sure .

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I like that you've already done the costing Troy! That's a bit rich though I agree. Though with plenty of notice there are cheap flights all the time now.

When we were throwing the idea around Ben mentioned the Palmetum at Townsville might be a good spot for it. Personally I've never been but heard it's really cool.

I'd be happy to give that a shot.

Count me in. I like the idea of FNQ, around seeding time (!). Plenty of nurseries to visit, and gardens too.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

I think it's a great idea, and with Pacsoa and IPS membership a terrific way to promote palms and palm people.

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great idea! Meeting others, seed/seedling swap etc......am all for it.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Might see you tomorrow Ben, I'm coming down from the hills, BPACS tomorrow night and stay over with family in Wynnum.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey Wal, I'm still on leave due to the new boy! Do you want that palm I have been hanging onto for you? Do you enter Brisbane via the Ipswich area at all?

A nice close destination , and my brother has a nice big house there ...

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

This thread might not belong here

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

May 2015 Victoria River Roadhouse...$7.50 per night for a camp site...

:mrlooney:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

So, there was some interest. Are we going to propose a time and place?

And whilst it may be a bit much for the inaugural event, surely one day Newcal has to be a possible destination.

There is movement at the station and the word is passing around..... Please stay tuned...... Australia Day weekend sound suitable?? At the Townsville palmetum??

There is a now a group of us who have agreed to meet and made the neccessary arrangements to be at the Townsville palmetum on Sunday 25th January 2015.

We would like to get as many as possible together for a good tour of the gardens and hopefully a nice BBQ etc.

More specific details will emerge as time goes on but there is a date and destination now in place. I have never been to the palmetum in Townsville but I am pretty sure it will be well worth a visit.

If those who are attending wish to add their name to the list it will be helpful!

Townsville 2015

Ben Smith aka kennybenjamin

Paul aka Comic097

Roger aka Gob1

Sounds like you lot need your palm fix bad! You should consider joining BPACS if you live in these parts...we have palm get-togethers every month :)

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I love the fact that so many more aussie palm dudes have come along. May I just mention that It took me a little while to realise way back when I began the palming game and sharing and receiving so much on PT that people's IPS subscriptions pay for Palmtalk ( no free lunch) It's only a very small tribute towards the IPS who fund and manage this fantastic forum. I could make Townsville in a pinch, I have to see how Christmas / New Year affect the budget...:)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Daryl in my case ( and I'm sure the fnq's also ) it's more about meeting the people and building some friendships face to face. Obviously the best place for that is in a palmy location! As far as I am aware most of the Aussie palmtalkers have no local palm society, here in seq we are lucky!

But yes there are some potential BPACS members around here!

Totally understandable that not everyone can make it but if we move this event around the country different people might attend and a snowball effect may take place?? What better time for some real life Aussie palmtalk than around the Australia Day week.....

Hey Wal some shared accom could be arranged if that helps?

Hi guys - sounds like a great trip brewing!! Happy to drive down to the 'ville and meet you all. Haven't been to the Palmetum yet, so it should be a good fun. Anyone wanting a lift northwards afterwards is welcome to hitch a ride.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Can't make it sorry, got a rodeo in Cleveland to attend.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Pity Wal..... that country life is sinking into you hey? There are some cogs being turned behind the scenes for this little meeting and it should be a great chance for us Aussie palm people to meet and greet while getting amongst it.

Pity Wal..... that country life is sinking into you hey? There are some cogs being turned behind the scenes for this little meeting and it should be a great chance for us Aussie palm people to meet and greet while getting amongst it.

My nephew runs this rodeo, I give him my total support first, and I don't want to miss it (2nd year in a row),The more Aussie palm people that gather the better, hope it works out, and many palm photos are captured and shared.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You fellas have fun. I visited the Palmatum in April this year while working in Townsville. Its certainly worth a visit if you haven't been there.

• 4 weeks later...

Count me in.........I am sure that work can do without me for the day....... Andrew Webb AKA Tropicgardener

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

If I can get somebody to come in and babysit the tribe for a couple of days then you can count me in too. Always wanted see the arboretum.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.