IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aussie palmtalkers day out....

Kennybenjamin

Come on up Peachy if you can, would be nice to catch up with you again.............. :)

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

So with a fortnight or so till our Aussie PT members descend on the Townsville Palmetum for our inaugural get together, we have decided to leak a little info about what has been happening behind the scenes to try and make is day a little more than just a barbecue and a catch up.

Rather than just wandering the grounds, we will have the opportunity to be taken on a guided tour of the Palmetum by its team leader Nadia, who has kindly volunteered her time! The tour could run from a few hours to a half day as details have yet to be confirmed.

For those of us who have been wondering about seed collecting on the grounds, I am happy to confirm that we have been given permission to do so respectfully, ie not trampling garden or climbing trees to do so, and that a register be kept recording who takes what. Great news!

Also, the staff at the Anderson Botanical Gardens which is roughly 10 minutes drive from the Palmetum have also offered us a guided tour. Anderson is a huge Botanical Garden and due to time restraints and the fact that the bulk of their rare palms are located in one area, this part of the tour will be restricted to the conservatory and should take about an hour.

Much of this is yet to be confirmed, but is shaping up to be a great day so get behind it guys!

Hope to see you there!

Thanks Ben (and Ben) for putting in so much effort to make this a great day.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

Dang! Gonna miss it, sounds like a great time. Won't be there till March.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Your doing a great job of making it a memorable day Ben! It's very nice of the palmetum staff to so accommodating!! I can't wait to get there!!

Welcome aboard Marty, we will post more specific times and meeting places a little closer to the date. Please stay tuned here for upcoming final details for our gathering.

Ok guys so we have word back from the Palmetum, and we're allowed access to the rainforest section of the garden thats entirely closed off to the public at this point due to the enormous bat colony that has taken up residence within it.

Great news! I'm told this section has a great number of rare species we can expect to see.

Though it does come with some requirements.

Everyone will be required to wear closed in shoes, long sleeved shirt and long pants for the part of the visit that includes the rainforest. You will also br provided with a hard hat which you must wear whilst inside the enclosed area.

In the case of heavy rain or a severe weather event the tour will be cancelled.

The group will need to stay together and follow Nadia (Our guides)directions at all times.

Areas of the rainforest that are barricaded off are not to be entered.

I know this sounds like alot, but I stress that these criteria are only necessary for the Rainforest section, should be well worth it and a bit of a laugh.

The tour will start at The Anderson Botanical Gardens at 8.30 and run for roughly an hour or so before heading to the Palmetum. They're about a 10min drive apart.

From there we will take the tour through the Palmetum and wrap it up around 12.30.

Now they have asked for numbers so everyone that's keen to be part of it we will need to know asap!

Ben and the staff at the palmetum have gone to great lengths to ensure this will be a great palm day out! I very much look forward to meeting some of you guys!! Should be a be a good social occasion mixed with some great palms, what else can you ask for?

Ben, thanks for all the effort you have gone to arranging this. And the heads up on the dress code, I was only going to pack boardies and thongs. See you on Sunday - not long now!

Climatic Zone: Vile..

Thanks Ben for organizing this , should be a great day , I hope the weather holds up . It'll be great to meet the aussie palmtalkers in palm heaven , really looking forward to this , see you guy's Sunday. Cheer's Richie

Thanks Ben, I will be there unless something drastic happens between now and then, I am looking forward to it :)

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys but it appears that the palmetum staff have been overruled by the beaurocratic elements in the council. Our permission to enter the closed off area has just been withdrawn despite the best efforts from Ben and Nadia (palmetum coordinator). It will mean we see a few less palms but we still hope to see many great specimens.

This decision also means that the long pants, long sleeved shirts, hard hats etc will not be required. It's a pity but there is no use arguing our case to the Townsville city council 3 days prior?

I will ask Ben to put meeting times and places up here in the next 24 hours or so.

still keen Ben I think most of the rain has gone south, I live about 30k north of Townsville but if I can help in any way let us know

Regards Marty

Townsville NQ

Looks like the major rain has moved on......should be a great day !!

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Tomorrow's the big day!

For all who want to be part of the tour of the Anderson Botanical Gardens Conservatory we will be meeting there at 8.30.

The tour of the Palmetum will start around 930 and run till 12.30 - 1.00.

If anyone has any further questions feel free to post here or pm me.

See ya tomorrow guys!

Should be a good day but if today is anything to go it is gunna be stinking hot and humid !!!

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Have a great day folks, lovely to see this happen, let's hope you get palmified big time and share some photos too.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, indeed a fantastic day was had by all who attended followed up by lunch and a few beers to rehydrate from the oppressive humidity............ Our fantastic hosts really looked after us and I think everyone took at least a few seeds home :)

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

It was a fun day and we saw some fantastic palms! As Andrew has already mentioned our hosts were very gracious with their time and I think they also enjoyed their day.

Our group has now dispersed and the last of us stragglers are making our way home now.

Nice to meet you all and I hope we can do it all again at a different location next year

with nadia and larry as our guides and fantastic ambassadors for Townsville, we had a great day, great venue, greatpeople, the only downer was the hoards of flying foxes which are destroying one of the worlds great botanical collections. they must be moved on. but otherwise a top day

Regards Marty

Townsville NQ