IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should this be classified as a weed species?

Daryl

I hope not!

post-42-0-97898600-1416564974_thumb.jpg

These seedlings look healthy considering our drought and no supplemental watering

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Quick delete the photo before some native Nazi sees it and decides that Dypsis decaryi must become a Class 1 weed

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

It'll be a Triangle forest in no time!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 4 months later...

Proof that many of us over water these palms. Triangles should get no supplemental irrigation in Florida.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I've been very surprised at how drought tolerant these palms are. And mine are planted on rocky soil, get baked by all day sun, and get a little bit of hose water once every 3 weeks in summer and none the rest of the year.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Drastic measures should be taken to eradicate this invasive and noxious weed from our delicate ecosystem.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

In Costa Rica I have seen Roystoneas having their seeds carried around by parrots over hundreds of meters, and small palms appearing in gardens , sometimes left by the owners to be part of the landscaping.

Also Pinanga coronata , finding little tree growing in a forest at distance from the "mother "plant, probably also distributed by wildlife.

And a big garden , run over by Rhopaloblaste seedlings.

And also worth mentioning: the "wilding" of oil-palm (Elaeis guineensis) in forests miles away from plantations, also must be birds carrying the seeds.All kinds of birds enjoy eating oil-palm fruits.

None of these species of palms are native here, one could say these species are invasive..... but to name them "weeds" ....IMO, weeds have more to do with farming.

Its "selective weedism"....humanity is a strange force...Palms with thorns will be on the Nazis radar first ie Phoenix species.

I expect over the next couple hundred years Australia will inherit over 50 new Palm taxon through naturalising.

I bet Australian Palms are spreading OS especially Archontophoenix species.

Its a changing world - hurry up and get use to that.

One of the best grown palms in Perth.

Yes that's for sure. They thrive on neglect.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Its "selective weedism"....humanity is a strange force...Palms with thorns will be on the Nazis radar first ie Phoenix species.

I expect over the next couple hundred years Australia will inherit over 50 new Palm taxon through naturalising.

I bet Australian Palms are spreading OS especially Archontophoenix species.

Its a changing world - hurry up and get use to that.

Ahh, the weed Nazi's. It never ceases to amaze me how, just because someone in Hawaii for example puts out a scientific paper about a particular species being invasive there, that the WA authorities will seize this scrap of info and then try and ban import into WA with a VASTLY different climate, where getting things to survive in the first place can be hard enough, let alone the species becoming invasive. You should see the Heliconias banned for import. WA doesn't even have tropical rain forests to invade.

Often the weed Nazi's only believe in planting natives, and one of the inaccuracies they'll push is that only natives attract wild life and birds. This isn't true. If you introduce biodiversity into a garden with exotics, it will create more homes for birds and wildlife as much as any native garden would.

I hope no one reads this thread and actually thinks Dypsis decaryi is a weed. I've always thought that any critically endangered plant should be exempt from weed status classification. Loss of species and biodiversity is a worldwide problem not just something that happens in someone else's backyard.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ha, in NZ even some native plants are being declared weeds for growing in the "wrong place"!

That even happens here. Mention "Sydney Wattle" here and it gets people fired up. Trouble is the Sydney Wattle looks almost the same as the very rare local wattle and over zealous and undertrained individuals are ripping them out.

Tyrone is right .Weeds are for farmers....

And American birds like Australian palm fruits.

I have a clump of Ptychosperma macarthurii , Australian palm ( I planted myself from a seedling "found" in a Botanical garden), about 20 years old and it´s always full of fruits. Local birds never leave it alone and all over the place I find seedlings.Some I give away to neighbours.

Now I am waiting for a large Wodyetia to start flowering.