IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Madness In ISRAEL !!!

lioril

Hi Selios,

Yeah, Thats why they are Indoors, I don't know whats going on in Cyprus

these days but here we have a huge thunderstorms and wind storms with

lots of rain, it's about 12c here, I wouldn't what to push it to the limit with

young Coconut Palms, they are Indoors for almost 2.5 weeks, Some of them

even kept on growing new leafs, Which is great, Eventhough they are very

small ones unlike the ones that they grew when they where outside last summer.

But as long as they keep looking good and keep on growing i am Happy.

I promise to keep you updated and to take new pictures soon !

One of the reasons why i grow different varieties of Coco Palms is to figure out

who is the strongest, Eventhough from what ive read the Strongest should be the

Samoan Dwarf, We'll See about that later on ....I decided to put my hands on

another 2 different varieties Fiji Red Dwarf and Florida yellow coconut palms.

I have 2 different Lychi Varieties, one of them is Tropical Pulasan 'Sibabat'

it's only a Sprout but it looks good eventhough its outside, I also have tropical

Banana plant, I still have no idea if it will make it to spring but it looks fine as

well for now, It's blue Java. I'd love to see your Longan...it must be a beauty.

When i'll be in the south, I'm gonna pay a close visit to the Coconut in

Kibbutz Eilot, If i'll see it I will take come pictures for sure.

Have a great day my friend,

Cheers.

Hi Lior

It's great that the palms growing new leaves this time of the year and indoors. The weather started to change here too. Today it was very cloudy and was raining all morning. The temperature was around 17c here in Paphos where I live but in the night it will drop around 11c. It's good that I checked the forecast yesterday and I put an old beach umbrella to cover the coconut from the rain. I don't want it to be too wet. It worked out great.

I will make photo of the longan and I will post it.

Hope you will have a mild winter to keep these palms growing tall.

Have a great day my friend

Stelios

Hello there Stelios,

Yeah, I think that growing new leaves it's a good indication that they feel good

I can't wait for spring time, Since I know How fast they will start growing while beeing

outside. I can imagine that the crazy weather haven't "Skipped" your place

Here we have no rain for a several days and full sun, The Coco Palms love it .. Here

Temps Drop below 14c. I'm gland to hear that you are updated in weather conditions

in your place, Since it can change quickly during this time of the year.

I would love to see your longan.

Have a great day my friend

Cheers,

Lior.

Edited by lioril

Hello Guys....

I'm Posting New update about my Coconut Palms... Eventhough the days are much Colder

here in Israel, My Palms are protected as they are staying Indoors, One good sign that indicates

that they are feeling good, Is the growth of new leafs, I'm Sorry that the Pictures i took ain't too

good this time, But i promise you many more to come in the future :winkie:

Enjoy, And have a wonderful day.

wwd7aa.jpg

2r5b3vd.jpg

2m64968.jpg

551a50.jpg

15d15x1.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/wa4lqu.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/2a8lq9t.jpg

Edited by lioril

Hi Lior!

Thanks for the invitation to Israel. You are also very welcome here in Cyprus too. Yesterday I started to construct the temporary protection for the coconut palm. As you will see at the photos I covered the two sides where the cool breeze is coming now in the winter from the hills. The other two sides will be open for the winter sun to warm the palm. Also my house protects the palm from one side. The sand warms the roots very good in the winter. In the future my purpose is the create more protection from the hills by growing more trees and plants to block the cool breeze. In the future I could use the papaya and guava tree trunks to tie the nylon on them for the palm protection instead to make this construction. Soon I will also cover the top when the temps drops and the rain is more. I hope you find this useful with your palms.

Stelios

Maybe if you plant them at the southside of a building or wall in full sun they will do even better. In our chilly Dutch climate growing plants from warmer climates, for example figs, where tradionally done against a sunny wall. You can easely get a 5 degreese warmer microclimate. Just that extra heat a coconut palm can use in your climate.

Alexander

Edited by Explorer

Hello There Stelios,

It's nice to meet you, It seems like i found a "Next Door Neighbor" :winkie:

It's good to know that you manage to grow Coco Palm In Cyprus...

I have Samoan Dwarfs as well, The reason that i got them, Since i've heard

that they are more Winter Hardy then the other Coco Palm Species, Did you heard about it ?

Yeah I know that Cyprus has a pritty warm wather in Winter times....Same as we have here

which helps us to keep these Palms alive. It Sure dose make it more Vulnerable in the ground

I guess, At least untill it has larger and deeper Root System..I would Consider Heating Cables

just in case...Here temperatures won't usually drop below 12-14c during the winter but still

there are days that may get to 6-5c....I think that it's totally normal for it to grow slower in our

Climate, even though my first 2 Coco Palms where small tiney sprouts in the last spring and

During the Spring and summer time they grown very rapidly from 20 Cm to about 90 cm tall

which is a fair growth rate for one season i assume...If it will happen again this spring it will

be awesome.

Thanks for your tips my friend,

It's great to know you, and keep in touch

I would love to see picture of your Coco Palm If possible

Im Curious to see how it looks like in the ground...

Best Regards,

Lior.

Hi Lior!

It's also good to meet a palm addict from the "neighborhood". It's not one of the easiest palm to grow in our climate but it's always good to see people with good results like you. Your palms look amazing and I hope you can keep them growing for many years and even grow some in the ground. My palm must be a Malayan dwarf which is not the most cold hardy as I learned. I think the varieties which you have are more cold hardy but here in Cyprus is difficult to find access to many palm species. Maybe in Israel you have better options. Keep posting here at PT and we can learn many things from here. Soon I will post a photo how I'll protect the palm for the winter. I hope you find some of my experience useful.

Stelios

Well you could have a look in Assam in N E India or Eastern Nepal, in the lowlands offcourse. There they grow several coconut variaties for the coconuts. And there its a foodcrop, not a ornamental tree. Now and then it can get chilly in that area although its shelterd from the Himalaya. And its outside the tropics. I have not seen that Malayan dwarf there. Maybe its not coldhardy enough for there.

Alexander

Hi Lior

The weather was a bit crazy a few days ago. We had our first snow on the top of Troodos mountains which made the temps at the coast around 9-10C in the night and 17C in the day. That was a bit unusual for this time of the year. Now the weather is warm again with temps around 14-15c in the night and 21-22c in the day with high humidity (generally Paphos has very humid climate). My coconut got some rain those days at the roots but the covering helped to dry the sand during the day with the sun making also more humidity around the palm.

How is the weather now in Israel? Your coconut palms look fantastic and very green. Do you open the doors for some air to come in or they stay closed inside. And how about the humidity level in the room. I see a couple of you big ones soon they will reach the ceiling!

Best regards

Stelios

Hello There Stelios,

that they are more Winter Hardy then the other Coco Palm Species, Did you heard about it ?

Yeah I know that Cyprus has a pritty warm wather in Winter times....Same as we have here

which helps us to keep these Palms alive. It Sure dose make it more Vulnerable in the ground

I guess, At least untill it has larger and deeper Root System..I would Consider Heating Cables

just in case...Here temperatures won't usually drop below 12-14c during the winter but still

there are days that may get to 6-5c....I think that it's totally normal for it to grow slower in our

Climate, even though my first 2 Coco Palms where small tiney sprouts in the last spring and

During the Spring and summer time they grown very rapidly from 20 Cm to about 90 cm tall

which is a fair growth rate for one season i assume...If it will happen again this spring it will

be awesome.

Best Regards,

Lior.

Hi Lior!

It's also good to meet a palm addict from the "neighborhood". It's not one of the easiest palm to grow in our climate but it's always good to see people with good results like you. Your palms look amazing and I hope you can keep them growing for many years and even grow some in the ground. My palm must be a Malayan dwarf which is not the most cold hardy as I learned. I think the varieties which you have are more cold hardy but here in Cyprus is difficult to find access to many palm species. Maybe in Israel you have better options. Keep posting here at PT and we can learn many things from here. Soon I will post a photo how I'll protect the palm for the winter. I hope you find some of my experience useful.

Stelios

Well you could have a look in Assam in N E India or Eastern Nepal, in the lowlands offcourse. There they grow several coconut variaties for the coconuts. And there its a foodcrop, not a ornamental tree. Now and then it can get chilly in that area although its shelterd from the Himalaya. And its outside the tropics. I have not seen that Malayan dwarf there. Maybe its not coldhardy enough for there.

Alexander

Hi Alexander

That would be very interesting to see in which areas of Nepal and NE India the coconuts can grow and how cold does it get there. I should consider these areas for our future travelling.

Stelios

Hello There Stelios,

be awesome.

Best Regards,

Lior.

Hi Lior!

Stelios

Alexander

Hello Alexander,

Thank you for your Comment, As far as I've learned about Coconut Palms (Correct Me if I'm Wrong), The Hardiest ones are

The Dawrf Variaties, From the Dwarf Family the one which is the Most Cold Hardy is the Samoan Dwarf, I've got 2 of those

And i got them just for that reason, To see How they will be able to deal with The Israeli Winter (-:

Have an Awesome Day

Cheers,

Lior.

Hello Stelios,

It's a bitter sweet thing to know, Since snow is a wonderful thing in general but it's

Bad News for Coco Palms, So how is your Coco Palm Doing after that hard expieriance ?

I hope it's Hangin' in there.

The weather in israel is sunny, We haven't had no rain for almost a week now, Temperatures

are around 20-15c during the night, And during daytime its about 20-25c, Humidity is High (60%)

My Coco Palms Are doing fine so far, They are green since I'm taking care of them as if they where

my pets, Thanks for your Compliments. I usually keep the doors closed, The Living room is very big

so it dosn't feel like a closed space. the Humidity Level is about 40% indoors but i do sprinkle water

on their leafs twice a day (at morning and evening) to keep the humidity level higher. The 2 Big Ones

that i have are growing as well during the winter, Much Much Slower though, they still have time till

they will reach the Ceilling though LOL :mrlooney: Maybe when Next spring will arrive, They will start Rocketing

Upwards... Keep me updated about your Coco Palm, By the way, What about a picture of your Longan ?

I'd Love to see it.

Best regards

Lior.

Edited by lioril

Lior, I'm not Stelios, but some (rare) snow was just on top of the mountains. The day and night temperatures around Paphos are similar to yours.

cheers

Nick

USDA 10b - 19.1°C/ 66.4°F 24hr average/ year

sunshine: 3.400 hrs year.

Precipitation: 380mm/ 15 inches/ year.

Hi Lior

Even with this unusual weather for November and some snow on the mountains the temperatures in Paphos were not that bad and like Nick said are similar with your temperatures. My coconut had no problems especially since it has this protection against cool wind.

The warm weather now is what these palms need. Is good to see that the coconuts can grow so well inside the house. I get some ideas from how you grow the coconuts inside. In case my palm dies I will try again with more protection or like you do at home. If you have space outside in your garden will plant any other palms? I would also suggest you to try the Beccariophoenix all varieties. They are the best coconut look-alike palms. I'm posting the photos of my Beccar. Alfredii and Madagascariensis. They grew from seed at the same time and as you see Alfredii is bigger. I also post my Longan tree. Is still small and I just put it out of the wind because in the winter it has some leaf burn and that might be affecting it's growth a bit. Photo was taken today and is about 70cm tall.

best regards

Stelios

post-9419-0-78230500-1417671492_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-42843800-1417671585_thumb.jp

Hello There Nick,

Sorry for the mix up ... My bad .... :crying:

It's nice meeting you, And thank you for the information,

Have an awesome day,

Cheers,

Lior.

Hi Stelios,

I'm Glad that your Palm is doing well and I'm sure it will do fine during the winter days after

all your all your efforts to protect it. They Do grow well indoors since i have big windows with

full daylight and direct sun during the day, And as i said i spray them with water twice a day

so they will have enough Humidity.

I think after 3 years that your Coco Palm is outside, You can be more optimistic about it's

survival during this winter as well, Unfortunatley I have no room for more palms outside,

But i saw that Beccariophoenix they are amazing, I wonder if they are cold sensitive like

the Nucifera ? And the Tiney palms you have look very nice, As well as your Longan.

Keep Up with the good work.

Here we have a "Winter Break" eventhough it's still a bit cold during the nights (13-16c)

we have no rain (which is kinda bad news for our nation) but not for the Coco Palms,

Since iv'e heard that the weather will keep staying sunny and not too cold i took my

Coco Palms Back Outside, To enjoy the nice weather, Till it will get stormy again...

I just took some pictures of them outside today.

Coco_Palm_Big1.jpg

Coco_Palm_Big2.jpg

Coco_Palm_Big3.jpg

Coco_Palms_Big1.jpg

Can Somone Help me Identifying the 2 big coco Palms I have ?

I can't really figure it out on my own, I can tell you they came from

Thailand,

Thanks Ahead for your assistance.

Edited by lioril

Hi Lior

Too bad you don't have space outside. The Beccariophoenix would be perfect to grow one outside instead of coconut. They are more cold hardy and mine are growing without any protection. You could grow them in Israel much easier than coconuts. Maybe only the B. Fenestralis will be more difficult to grow. It's my next target as is the most beautiful beccariophoenix.

Hope your winter will continue to have these mild temperatures.

As for the 2 big coco palms you have unfortunately I couldn't ID them.

Regards

Stelios

Edited by Stelios

• 3 months later...

Hello There Guys - We Made It !!!

It's been a Hard winter here in ISRAEL, But i did my best to Protect my

Coconut Palms indoors, Now it's spring time, So i mooved my palms outdoors

Some of them got sun burns in new leaves that they have grown when they where

inside my house, but they are starting to grow new ones and they generally look

fine, I would like to hear your opinion about them,

Enjoy the pics ...

2d177sp.jpg

2nh1gsw.jpg

ouqmf5.jpg

2j5nnep.jpg

33aexvs.jpg

10zolza.jpg

Thank you Zachary,

I did my best to keep them protected during winter time,

It payed off, yesterday i Changed the location of the 2 bigger

Coco Palms to a deeper and much bigger pots, Since the roots

had no more room to develop, So Now im hoping to see them

grow much faster during this spring and summer....

And hopefully they will make it through the winter outdoors.

the Location that i live in ISRAEL is considered to be in Hardiness zones 10-11

I hope that Coco Palms can cope with the winter, Eventhough its not that cold

usually its around 12-20 celsius during winter times, But there are nights that

temperatures can drop below 8 Celsius....

Summer and spring times are great, Humidity is about 50-65% and

temperatures are about 25-40 celsius

Hello Lior,

The coconuts are looking great! It is great to see them in the Holy Land!

Take care.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Thanks Randy,

Do you have Coco Palms as well ?

I wonder how Coco Palms Survive the winter in Florida ?

Yes Lior,

I have 13 coconut palms in my garden, green malayan, yellow malayan, gold malayan, red spicata, maypan, Jamaican tall, they are my favorite palm. They are all on the small side as they have been planted since last May, biggest one being about 12 foot tall. I live in SW Florida and coconut palms are very common here. This winter was not bad, never went below freezing, 35F (1.6c) was the lowest I had. We are in the USDA zone of 10a, which is 30 - 35f (-1.1 thru 1.7c).

Hi Lior

Your palms look great as always. Now in the warm days they will start to grow more fast.

Stelios

@Stelios

Any (good) news from your coconuts?

Hey Randy,

Thats Awesome, It seems like you have a very Large coconut collection, It sure dose get colder in your

place than in Tel-Aviv (where i live), In the northen part of israel temps can drop down to -6 C up in the

mountains. I had a friend that lived in florida she told me that Coconut palms are much stronger then

they appear and i have nothing to worry about the winter in israel, She told me that where she used to

live in Florida they had snowy weather and the palms survived the snow and had fruits after that.

So its quite incuraging. Maybe i'll have a chance as well, Who knows.

What is the Spring - Summer average temperatures and humidity in Florida ?

I wish you success with your Coco Palms,

Cheers,

Lior.

Edited by Lior_Gal

Hi Stelios,

How are you doing my Dear Friend ? I always appriciate your Compliments,

And I wonder how is your Coco Palm doing ? I just moved my 2 Big ones

To a New deeper and much Bigger pots, When i Removed them from the older

Pots the roots where all over the bottom of it, So that was a sign it was the right

time for an expantion, I will take some pictures of em today and post them later

on.

I will be glad if you will take a few pictures of your palm and post them here

I'm curious to see how its growing outdoors

Cheers,

Lior.

Hi Lior

It's always great to see people like you that have similar climate with mine trying to grow marginal palms like coconuts. Even though we know is difficult we don't give up and with some protection we can enjoy for some time the beauty of these palms.

My palm is still alive and like Nick knows this Winter was more cool and wet than usual. I tried to keep it dry as much as possible but after every strong rain the palm was getting wet. The protection which I have as you will see in the photos I will post, is open on the two sides so it doesn't always keep the rain water out. Of course is covered on the top, but I left these two sides open because is where it can get the full winter sun all day.

post-9419-0-12647500-1426946061_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-44447300-1426946180_thumb.jp

In the winter it almost stopped to grow. Its was only pushing a new spear very slowly and it started to open the last few days. You can see the new frond opening in the next photos. I took all these photos today. So I hope that means that the palm made it through the winter and hopefully it will start to grow more now.

Like I said before I would try some in the ground if I were you. I don't know how was the winter in Israel but I believe you have more chances than me.

Best regards

Stelios

post-9419-0-26043700-1426947039_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-49150700-1426947111_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-86690600-1426947298_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-37594700-1426947374_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-97970000-1426947482_thumb.jp

Hello Stelios,

You Coco Palm looks really well, I would try to give it a fertilizer since it turned yellow,

I know it may be due to winter but it can also be a lack of vitamins in the ground

I fertilize my coco palms once a month.

Here in Israel the winter was a bit colder than usual as well and it was cold and rainy in the last

few days after a couple of sunny warm weeks, the broadcast said that tomorrow it will be sunny

again, It came in a bad timing since i just re located my palms so they got 2 shocks at once....

well see in the next couple of days how well they will be.

Keep me updated about your palm,

Im glad to see yours has made it through.

Have a great week my friend,

Best regards.

Hi Lior

You are right. I should fertilize a bit. I will start now in spring.

You keep us updated too.

Best regards

Stelios

Glad you guys are having fun with your cocos! I want to grow one at some point too. Stelios is your coco a yellow malayan? If so it might justify the yellowing tint a bit, I also take it it is not lacking water?

I think Stelios' coconut palm is a Yellow Malayan. I wonder how you got it? The Golden and Green Malayans are a lot more common than the Yellow, but the Yellow has such beautiful bright yellow petioles and forms bright yellow coconuts when it starts fruiting. The Golden variety, though has a much more golden orange color and the coconuts on it are much more golden orange colored too.

John

Hey Randy,

Thats Awesome, It seems like you have a very Large coconut collection, It sure dose get colder in your

place than in Tel-Aviv (where i live), In the northen part of israel temps can drop down to -6 C up in the

mountains. I had a friend that lived in florida she told me that Coconut palms are much stronger then

they appear and i have nothing to worry about the winter in israel, She told me that where she used to

live in Florida they had snowy weather and the palms survived the snow and had fruits after that.

Cheers,

Lior.

Hello Lior,

We have typical subtropical weather here in SW Florida. Very humid in the spring, summer and fall and our raining season is during the hot summer months. Our dry season is during our winter, which averages 75F (23.8C) for a high and 55F (12.7) for a low. Our summers average 91F (32.7C) for the high and 75F (23.8C) for the low. Below are the annual averages for Cape Coral FL in Fahrenheit. Even though we had one night in the mid to upper 30sF this winter, it may only happen once or twice a year.

Cape%20Coral%20Average_zpsd9nr0esf.jpg

Have you ever thought of planting a B. alfredii and/ or J. caffra in thr ground just in case something was to happen to your coconuts? Since you really like that coconutty look, you could put these two in and be rock solid no matter what kind of freak winter that might happen. Besides, these two species are more rare anyways and look very coconut like.....I'm trying to pull you deeper into palm fanaticism. ...lol

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hello Pedro,

Selios and myself are some of a very small Coconut Palm Poineers in our Region, in Israel there are only

3 other people i know about that grow Coco Palms, But in very early stages of Sprouting.

It's the beauty of this palm that made me start with this adventure and also the challenge.

Every second yard and park in israel has syagrus romanzoffiana, So there is nothing Uniqe about them

around here.

If you want to start growing your own coco palm you can get one very quickly, on E-bay there are

sprouted Cocos up for sale and they are sold on a fair price.

Have a great week,

Lior.

First of all, my best congratulations Lior Gal. I hope that with the proper care, you will got big and healthy coconuts! :)

Also your country is very beautiful and your city is the best city on the Middle East!!!

Palmaceae, you got a quite better climate, you got the typical climate from Florida which is almost entire tropical.

Hey Randy,

Cheers,

Lior.

Hello Lior,

We have typical subtropical weather here in SW Florida. Very humid in the spring, summer and fall and our raining season is during the hot summer months. Our dry season is during our winter, which averages 75F (23.8C) for a high and 55F (12.7) for a low. Our summers average 91F (32.7C) for the high and 75F (23.8C) for the low. Below are the annual averages for Cape Coral FL in Fahrenheit. Even though we had one night in the mid to upper 30sF this winter, it may only happen once or twice a year.

Cape%20Coral%20Average_zpsd9nr0esf.jpg

Well, from a neutral voice, I can say that your climate is a lot better than the climate of Tel Aviv. Tel Aviv climate is like the climate from south San Diego in the Pacific coast; it's a mild/warm and wet-winters but very dry-summers mediterranean climate, which got quite mild extreme temperatures. Your climate is a lot hotter than that! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv#Climate(This chart is from Israel's official climate service)

27x72q.jpg

Like you see here this is very similar to the typical climate in the sourthenmost California zone. Well, it's also true that in the United States the cold waves are a lot heavier but your place is only comparable to Tel Aviv if we talk about the Hardiness zone. Talking about climate, or about if it fits or not best for coconuts... the coconuts grow extremely better in your climate; without hard cold waves you even don't need protection a single month in a year!. You've got in January almost 24ºC as average and in March 27ºC as average... that means April and almost June in Tel Aviv and in all of the other places with similar mediterranean climates.

That's why all known coconut projects failed until now in continental Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Cyprus... even Malta, which never registered frozens. BUT that doesn't means that someone can achieve it if really does the proper care to them!! Palmaceae, thee main difference is that in your zone practically 9 months in a year you've got summer temperatures haha!

But well, with the proper care and utilities you can made it Lior Gal so I hope you the best luck !!! You are in a place with one of the best and warmest mediterranean climate! So you only gonna need protection in winters :greenthumb:

Edited by pRoeZa*

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Hello Randy,

Yeah, Here the Humidity levels during Spring and Summer times are Pretty High,

But as you described, The Temps wont drop as low as they do around here,

So that might just be the reason why Coco Palms don't like it here, Since Even

in the Forgiving weather of Tel-Aviv Region, They Drop Sometimes below 9C

But it's usually around 18-12C.

@ Nick

Did you find any coconut to give it a try?

Stelios

Stelios, first of all, congratulations to your coco palm. Nice that it looks still healthy. I did not try anything yet, because the lack of a free spot in our garden. I also still have a potted small B. alfredii and a small J. caffra in the ground. Maybe I will look arrround the next weeks to find a coco to keep it in a pot first. Let you know if I found one.

Edited by nick